Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2004, 15:03   #1
Team-BHP Support

The San Storm pics raise one point. I noticed that the San Storm engine was run at 5000rpm at some point. Even car manufacturers often claim HP and Kgm figures at what looks to me as high RPMs. Usually over 5000rpm.

is it nice/safe/good to regularly run road cars up these high RPMs? Does it shorten engine life?

I dont consider race speced cars as road cars and in any case race speced cars are hardly expected to last 5 years or more. what i am talking about are the cars that most of us buy to drive to work.
Old 15th April 2004, 16:05   #2
Team-BHP Support

revving the car close to its redline, and bouncing of the limiter now and then is perfectly fine these days. Just don't overrev the poor thing or downshift too early, that really causes the driveline a lot of stress.

Simply redlining up through the gears is no prob at all. Ofcourse, redlining when the engine is cold, or bad maintainence (running low oil levels, dirty oil) will take its toll though, so be warned!
Old 15th April 2004, 17:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think it isn't such a big deal these days. Just make sure you don't do it during the run in period and even after that, try not to rip it when it's cold.

Even i was confused at first since the Vtec gets it's power at 6800, but the Honda guy said it's ok as long as i don't cross the limit which is 7100 rpm.

My car has been ripped for 36K now and it feels better than ever.

So enjoy your car to the fullest, but make sure the runing in is "puurfecto".

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 15th April 2004, 20:18   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Manufacturers impose revv limits on their engines, at a modest high end - revving above which they feel will be detrimental to their powerplants. Todays generation of ultra modern engines have super long lives and as such are not too affected by redlining. However redlining, as already mentioned, must never be attempted if the engine is too cold, not run-in or lubrication is not of proper quality and quantity. *

But do keep in mind, that constantly revving the engine will also indirectly affect the life of other components such as your braking system (aggressive braking eats into your pads), suspension (going fast over Indian roads will result in much quicker replacements)

Typically, the more the rpm = the more the wear and tear. Its as simple as that.
Old 16th April 2004, 06:28   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hi Navin,

To put it simply, there is nothing wrong if you never ever take ur car above 4500rpm, except for the fact that you will be missing out on the fun! (since as you mentioned the peak bhp happens at higher revs).
The reason car manufacturers claim peak bhp figures at high rpms is because of the way bhp is calculated; one of the factors in the equation is RPM, so therefore the more RPM the higher ur BHP gets. The reason that bhp drops after the peak is because BHP is actually a function of torque.
BHP = Torque x RPM /5252
If you are not looking for thrills and you never rev your car close to the redline your engine is much more likely to last longer since there is much more stress and wear and tear (on engine parts) at high rpm.
Going up to the redline a couple of times wont really do any harm given the temp/oil/run-in etc precautions are taken.

The things GTO has mentioned in his 2nd paragraph are actually to do with the higher speeds that the power of high-rpms takes you to so quickly, rather than the high rpms themselves.

And as Shan2nu said, the VTECs are designed to be taken there because honda knows what the "real" drivers want from their cars.

cheers
Rehaan.
Old 16th April 2004, 15:27   #6
Team-BHP Support

4500rpm! I rarely push my cars (or cars that I borrow) above 3000rpm! I find engine noise distracting. somehow i dont find it distracting on a race track.
Old 16th April 2004, 15:31   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]or cars that I borrow
You must see how I bounce off the revvlimiter on the cars I borrow (okay now I know no one is going to let me drive his car)

GTO
Old 16th April 2004, 21:50   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (navin @ April 16 2004,13:57)]4500rpm! I rarely push my cars (or cars that I borrow) above 3000rpm! I find engine noise distracting.
what kind of cars do you have? Probably not a honda.
Old 16th April 2004, 22:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

You wanna know something amazing???

We all know the City Vtec gets it's torque at 4700rpm, and if that wasn't enough, the Accord V6 produces it's torque of 276nm at an unbelievable 5000rpm!!!

These are ranges where most Indian cars get their power, including the NHC!!!

Regards...
Shan2nu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks