Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2015, 00:35   #1
BHPian

Odometer suddenly started showing a lower reading!

Hi all,

My first car - a Chevy Spark - was unused for a while and the battery died down. When I started it today, I found 10k kms missing from the odometer. It came down from 17000 odd to 7000!!

How do I fix this? I was actually hoping to sell it off this month, so how do I explain it to the buyer / dealer where I hope to sell it off ?

Please help.

Note from Mod : Please use proper capitalization + punctuation. Make sure you see THIS THREAD before continuing. Thanks.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd August 2015 at 11:11. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
kippu is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th July 2015, 09:00   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Odometer suddenly started showing a lower reading!

I assume you have some sort of digital display? In most cases the km get stored on the ECU. In any case you can read the real mileage with most OBD readers. To change them you typically need some special SW, because for obvious reasons, the manufacturers have made it a bit difficult to change the mileage to easily.

If nobody had messed around with some reader, changes are that it is indeed one digit that is playing up or some other weird electronic problem. First thing is to check with a reader. If you find your original mileage embedded somewhere in the electronics the next steps would be to start checking the display/wiring etc.

Good luck

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 30th July 2015 at 09:13.
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 09:28   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it that the specific two segments are not lighting up ? ( Like if the LCD display is faulty).
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 11:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Is it that the specific two segments are not lighting up ? ( Like if the LCD display is faulty).
+1. I think the 5 digit LCD display would have gone Kaput if the meter is digital.
PapaBravo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 12:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on a sudden increase in resale value

I too think it could be a matter of faulty display than with kms reading.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 11:57   #6
BHPian

Re: Odometer suddenly started showing a lower reading!

Kippu,

Since it is not your fault, you do not owe an explanation to buyer / dealer. A clarification would suffice. However, get it diagnosed, repaired & restored before the sale. Also request you to share the post analysis observations for the benefit of other BHPians.
Old 28th July 2017, 09:01   #7

Odometer (Weird Behavior) Chevrolet Beat Petrol

Hi Everyone,

I have this weird issue on my Chevrolet Beat odometer (2010 Model). Yesterday evening after a few kms drive, when I parked my car the odometer was showing 34617. But today when I started my car in the morning, the odometer was showing reading as 34615. Which is 2kms less than the previous one.

Can anyone suggest what has gone wrong with the car ?

Lately I have seen drop in the mileage, hence I was keeping an eye on the odometer reading for last few weeks. The car was filled with 15 litres petrol on 14-Jun-2017 @ odometer reading 34539, and it showed low fuel indication today.

Please advise.
Old 28th July 2017, 10:14   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Odometer (Weird Behavior) Chevrolet Beat Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman1980 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have this weird issue on my Chevrolet Beat odometer (2010 Model). Yesterday evening after a few kms drive, when I parked my car the odometer was showing 34617. But today when I started my car in the morning, the odometer was showing reading as 34615. Which is 2kms less than the previous one.

Can anyone suggest what has gone wrong with the car ?

Lately I have seen drop in the mileage, hence I was keeping an eye on the odometer reading for last few weeks. The car was filled with 15 litres petrol on 14-Jun-2017 @ odometer reading 34539, and it showed low fuel indication today.

Please advise.
Beat has a digital Odometer.
The low mileage, the low fuel warning are all connected to this faulty ODO-meter reading
Car electronics act weird and are always difficult to diagnose. In your case it can be anything from a Faulty odo memory chip or a bug in the ECU program. the Service centre guys with their OBD readers may be able to read if any error is registered
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks