Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2006, 17:55   #1
vRS
BHPian

While driving the other day my brake pedal became hard (was unable to press the brake pedal). Showed it to the dealer who scanned and said that there is a problem with the ABS and that he will try an 'clean' / change it if required. Need some help here :

1. At the time of ignition, I do not see the ABS indicator on the dash come on. Should this not light up for a couple of seconds ?

2. Is not the ABS unit sealed ? Can it be cleaned ?

3. Any ideas why this problem could have occured in just 15000 km or driving ?

Thanks.

Viky
Old 2nd September 2006, 19:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

sounds more like a servo problem
Old 3rd September 2006, 06:28   #3
BHPian

Light should come on

Quote:
Originally Posted by vRS
While driving the other day my brake pedal became hard (was unable to press the brake pedal).

Thanks.

Viky

Hi,

(1) I am not sure of the way it works on RS, but on my corolla, the lights for ABS comes on for about 2 seconds and then go off when I start. So assuming it should work the same for you if all is well.
(2) & (3). No clues.

NOTE FROM SUPPORT TEAM: Kindly avoid quoting full post

Last edited by adya33 : 3rd September 2006 at 08:18.
Old 3rd September 2006, 12:51   #4
BHPian

hey u sure ur garage guys just dint take a short cut method and somehow managed to disconenct the ABS warning lamp .. if they have lol u can sue them haha and get away with a Laura or somethin
Old 3rd September 2006, 13:08   #5
BHPian

Check the vacuum line for any damage.......Hope this helps

PJ
Old 3rd September 2006, 19:32   #6
BHPian

dude .,,i dunno if this makes sense but if one or more of the solenoids in the ABS modulator is faulty , it would create a backpressure via the master cylinder to the brake booster and back to the pedal ..
maybe thats why ur brake pedal is becoming hard and ur ABS light is popping up..

do this drive test

1) Brake lightly while ur driving keep a light hand ont the steering and notice if the car pulls to a particular side and if u have notices reduced braking effect
2) Jam ur brakes hard @ managable speeds over some surface where u could loose traction like sand or mud and see if ur ABS is working,

does it have ESP / traction control ?

Last edited by Kinetik : 3rd September 2006 at 19:50.
Old 11th September 2006, 15:13   #7
vRS
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs. The car is with the *** (pun intended) !!

I told them that that the brake pedal suddenly becomes hard and cannot be pressed. The *** said its an ABS problem...but when I asked why the ABS warning light did not show up on the dash.. they had no answers.
Old 14th September 2006, 22:53   #8
BHPian

Hello VRS,
Yes,the ABS unit cannot be cleaned...but ucan check the servo,just like Amjat said,but the ABS HAS to come on then then go off.Its a sensor continuty test that the ECM will do.Ask the****to show u the scann test to u.Or ask them to do the scann in front of u.I have had a few issue with the Skoda guys.Soon u will have a pulsating brake pedal,at about 120kmph..A big skoda problem.I dont want to scare u,just getting u prepared.
Let me know if i can be of any more help.
Karan
Old 15th September 2006, 12:06   #9
vRS
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs Karan. I have got Skoda Auto involved and they intitally thought its the ECM since the EPC and Check Engine Electronics warning lights were also showing up. But now they are planning to change the ABS. It has taken them a week and they are still trying to figure.

Viky
Old 5th November 2006, 00:32   #10
BHPian

Any update on this???????

Regards,
PJ
Old 5th November 2006, 08:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vRS
While driving the other day my brake pedal became hard (was unable to press the brake pedal). Showed it to the dealer who scanned and said that there is a problem with the ABS and that he will try an 'clean' / change it if required. Need some help here :

1. At the time of ignition, I do not see the ABS indicator on the dash come on. Should this not light up for a couple of seconds ?

2. Is not the ABS unit sealed ? Can it be cleaned ?

3. Any ideas why this problem could have occured in just 15000 km or driving ?

Thanks.

Viky
hard pedal is due to the mal function of booster assy I guess!! See whether the booster gets enough vaccum or it is defective!! Also, guess this ABS starts functioning only when the sensors give commands to the brake system..... when the sensors come across too many different parameters to process!!
Am not sure whether am right or wrong! Juz abit from my knowledge!!

Last edited by Stratos : 5th November 2006 at 10:31.
Old 5th November 2006, 19:47   #12
BHPian

vRS,

Please ask them for the VAS error code and description it should be very clear and straight forward to get it from the logs of VAS when they do a ABS scan. I am still wondering why you got a CEL though.

Thanks,
-P.
Old 6th November 2006, 12:06   #13
vRS
BHPian

Octavia2,

Just to update, the issue has been resolved by changing the ABS Control Module ( cost Rs. 25,000+taxes). Seems that some water had gone into it.

Interestingly the problem had started a day after it came back from regular service. Wonder if it was due to water being sprayed while washing up after service. Anyone had such problems ?

Viky
Old 6th November 2006, 15:38   #14
BHPian

Viky,

ABS control module with water in it? Did you take your car in seriously heavy rains or something? If you have a doubt, and if they did replace the ABS control unit, please do check the VAS logs that reported the error that ABS was faulty. Most of these error codes can be reset using VAS and consecutive errors could be even because of some garbage stuck in your brakes or the like.

BTW, did you pay for the ABS control module? If yes, and you paid for the service you can ask them if they had used VAS to check if the car was okay prior to delivery - I am assuming that you did the paid service which was probably the 15k service. If yes, then I am sure they ran the diagnostic on your car prior to delivery; more so if you had given a specific complaint related to engine electronics and this would have created a log in VAS. You might want to tell them that this problem was not there before the service. If the log comes out okay, then it could be something that was a random occurance or something naughty that you did.

Thanks,
-P.
Old 7th November 2006, 12:36   #15
vRS
BHPian

Hi o2,

Your advise is valuable - in that i think that before the next service I should get the car scanned. As you know the Skoda service system is a mess and I had changed dealers for the service. Actually the car ran ok for 2 days after the service and so i dunno what happened.

Viky

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks