Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2009, 18:07   #151
BHPian

Have already planned a speed run for Saturday morning!

Any advice on the ECU reset I am planning? (see post below)
Old 24th April 2009, 11:47   #152
BHPian

Ashish i think thats exactly what you should do , i guess your car could do with some pushing around. As regards to the ecu reset well i dont really know if it helps but yes you can give it try , let it learn some aggressive fuel curves and then maybe it should all work out.I guess i read somewhere on the froum that when you reset the ECU you drive more aggressively than what you usually do, and the run should be a good 8or 9 kms.Well as regards to the remap of my ECU vishal is the boss its his trade secret so better ask him cos my lips are sealed. Resetting the ECU by disconnection of -ve terminal should no issues with either the autocop or the ice, well atleast my car does not any of these issues, so i guess neither should yours.

Last edited by sanjz : 24th April 2009 at 11:49.
Old 24th April 2009, 15:48   #153
BHPian

I had a problem with my m800 5 speed timing (probably) and the car was overheating. When I was trying to resolve that by posting on another thread, I came across this as a related thread.

This seems interesting to me as I had a problem with my mazda 626 v6 earlier and could improve driveability by doing ECU reset using OBD tool.

So whenever you buy a second hand car, it is advisable to try reseting the ECU preferably by using OBD tool, and as you drive more, the ECU learns from your driving habits and adjusts the ignition curves and makes the car more drivable based on your driving habits.
Old 2nd December 2009, 19:41   #154
BHPian

Need help !!!!

Read the whole thread in one shot. Got josh and did the reset all by myself (take out the -ve terminal-wait for 5 minutes-pulg it back- drive like a gentleman for 15-20kms).
Since then the milage has gone down drastically. I drive Hyundai Accent GVG which used to give me 10-11 in the city. now after the reset, its not even giving 7-8 milage. This was not expected from the reset i gues.

help me, its like driving a merc nowadays (read milage).
Old 3rd December 2009, 09:34   #155
BHPian

I suppose the mileage dropped because the ECU is learning the driving pattern and adjusting right now. It takes anywhere between 100-300km for the ECU to adjust to your pattern and adjust its maps accordingly. Also, I've found that it is important to do an idle re-learn sequence for the ECU after reset. This gets it to learn the loads on your engine and arrive at a baseline idle RPM (and associated curves). What is your idle RPM right now?

I'm not sure about the idle relearn for your car, but a sequence of idle running, switching on AC load, switching it off etc. should suffice. Anyone who knows the exact procedure can amend.

Last edited by the_maassk : 3rd December 2009 at 09:38.
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:36   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maassk View Post
It takes anywhere between 100-300km for the ECU to adjust to your pattern and adjust its maps accordingly.
won't 10 minutes of driving help the ECU come back to normal. 100-300km seems to be high.
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:15   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
won't 10 minutes of driving help the ECU come back to normal. 100-300km seems to be high.
AFAIK, there is nothing like a 'normal' setting. The ECU is constantly learning. It is always tuning the maps to suit your driving pattern. After a couple of hundred kilometers, it is fairly close to the best it can do. 10 min is not at all enough in my opinion.
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:12   #158
BHPian

Quote:
I suppose the mileage dropped because the ECU is learning the driving pattern and adjusting right now. It takes anywhere between 100-300km for the ECU to adjust to your pattern and adjust its maps accordingly. Also, I've found that it is important to do an idle re-learn sequence for the ECU after reset. This gets it to learn the loads on your engine and arrive at a baseline idle RPM (and associated curves). What is your idle RPM right now?

I'm not sure about the idle relearn for your car, but a sequence of idle running, switching on AC load, switching it off etc. should suffice. Anyone who knows the exact procedure can amend.

Man, 100-300 kms is too high . ill have sacrifice unnecessary fuel consumption till it learns . thinking of keeping some badam and pista in the ECU box (mom used to give me in school days to make me intelligent) so that it learns fast.

BTW what is idle relearn ?
And one more thaing i noticed after reset is the RPM on idle has gone below 1000, its now around 800-850. Is this normal or should i get it rectified?

Last edited by livyodream : 3rd December 2009 at 12:15.
Old 3rd December 2009, 14:12   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Man, 100-300 kms is too high . ill have sacrifice unnecessary fuel consumption till it learns . thinking of keeping some badam and pista in the ECU box (mom used to give me in school days to make me intelligent) so that it learns fast.

BTW what is idle relearn ?
And one more thaing i noticed after reset is the RPM on idle has gone below 1000, its now around 800-850. Is this normal or should i get it rectified?
Best of luck with the badam pista .

Idle relearn is a procedure to get the ECU to learn a stable idle setting for the engine. This also accounts for all the loads on the engine. There are specific sequences to do this on different ECUs and cars.

As for your idle RPM - 800-850 sounds normal to me. If you do an idle relearn, you would find that the idle RPM fluctuations are taken care of. Try this:

Start your car. Let it idle until the engine temperature reaches regular running levels (idle for around 5-8 min). Switch on the AC. Switch if off after 10 seconds. Switch it on again. Switch off after 10 seconds. Turn on the headlights. Turn them off after 10 seconds. Turn on the AC and the headlights. Turn both of them off after 10 seconds. Let the car idle for another minute. Turn off the ignition.

All this while you would see the RPM fluctuating. It should hopefully settle down after the process. Please note that this is purely a guesstimate based on my understanding of idle relearn! No harm in trying though.

On another note - if you give me the details of your car/engine/ECU make, I'll try to hunt for the exact sequence.
Old 3rd December 2009, 14:37   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Best of luck with the badam pista .

Idle relearn is a procedure to get the ECU to learn a stable idle setting for the engine. This also accounts for all the loads on the engine. There are specific sequences to do this on different ECUs and cars.

As for your idle RPM - 800-850 sounds normal to me. If you do an idle relearn, you would find that the idle RPM fluctuations are taken care of. Try this:

Start your car. Let it idle until the engine temperature reaches regular running levels (idle for around 5-8 min). Switch on the AC. Switch if off after 10 seconds. Switch it on again. Switch off after 10 seconds. Turn on the headlights. Turn them off after 10 seconds. Turn on the AC and the headlights. Turn both of them off after 10 seconds. Let the car idle for another minute. Turn off the ignition.

All this while you would see the RPM fluctuating. It should hopefully settle down after the process. Please note that this is purely a guesstimate based on my understanding of idle relearn! No harm in trying though.

On another note - if you give me the details of your car/engine/ECU make, I'll try to hunt for the exact sequence.

Definitely ill try. Im usually free on weekends for all these things .

Reg car/engine/ECU make, is it specific for every single car? what i mean is cant we find these information(Especially ECU make) on the net?
Its Hyundai Accent GVS 2002 model. Below is the specification i copied from the net (Hope its true):
Basic ECM Resetting-hyundai-gvs.jpg

1. Car- We know.
2. Engine - we got to know from the above screenshot
3. ECU- 1U2 = 3 ??

Cos i dont know where ECU is located and what soft of details im supposed to look for when i open the ECU box (assuming ECU is located in a sealed box somewhere in the bonnet).

Any Accent owners here?? Or any one who know about the ECU make??

Slightly , do we have ECU in bikes too? If yes, then is it recommended to reset the ECU? [keeping indian bikes in mind]..
Old 3rd December 2009, 15:19   #161
BHPian

Never mind! Read this (a shot in the dark):

How To Reset Your E.c.u. - Hyundai-Forums.com

You might want to subscribe to this forum to find relevant information about your car.

As far as I know, unless there is fuel injection, ECU is not present. So I don't think any of our regular Indian bikes would have an ECU!
Old 15th June 2013, 16:05   #162

Re: Basic ECM Resetting

Nice technique. Will this work on my Alto K10?
Old 7th October 2019, 10:17   #163
BHPian

Hello BHPians.

Reviving back an old thread.

Our brown wagonr is 10 months old and has done 8k kms approximately till date without any oil change. I am so worried about the fuel economy. I mostly drive in the speed range of 45 to 65 with occasional stops. Irrespective of however I drive, whether smoothly or roughly, the average fuel economy is around 12 - 13 kmpl.

And the most surprising thing is:
Filled fuel till auto cut off in the evening of 30th July. The next day, I travelled 177.5 kms (95% highway). I shifted gears gently at ideal rpms and cruised at 80 - 90 kmph. Again, filled fuel till auto cut off in the evening of the same day at the same fuel station. The average was just 12.94 kmpl

Should I try resetting the ECU? Does that help? Any suggestions please?

Thanks
Sooraj.
Old 25th October 2019, 01:21   #164
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Can someone with knowledge on ECUs and tuning help me understand why my Duster’s ECU has been suspected to have failed?

Problem description and diagnosis described in this post

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4680946 (ECM changed, now what?)

I have 3-4 days to take a call on the issue. Have the vehicle with me so I can do all sorts of driving testes required to understand what conditions make the issue crop up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks