Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2004, 12:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hey V12,
There is no way a virus can infect the ecm. The program is a ROM only. Its only the variables it uses can be changed. Atleast till now no guys have not developed any virus's for cars.

Cheers
Dom
Old 6th March 2006, 10:40   #17
Team-BHP Support

Retro Week bump!

With the modification scene moving into high gear, this may prove valuable to some people!!
Old 6th March 2006, 12:01   #18
DRC
BHPian

Dom,
Do these ECMs have a reset button! A typical to all computer hardware.

I am not sure, but I remember havin seen a hole on the ecm case covered with rubber. Normally, that is how a reset mechanism is made for other computer hardware (say a PDA).

Please shone some more light on this!

Thanks
DR
Old 6th March 2006, 15:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domnic
Hello,
* * What you do is disconnect your negative terminal of your battery then wait for 15mins. Then reconnect. Put the ignition on... the electronic gauges will automatically reset (not your odo reading ) the needles will go till the end and back... on a mondeo this goes upto 8k rpm hehe without the engine running.
I tried this twice on my Palio but did not find any difference. Does this work on a Palio?

Last edited by 5u3zEr0 : 6th March 2006 at 15:56.
Old 7th March 2006, 00:00   #20
Team-BHP Support

OBD2 connectors

excellent information Domnic.

some people have made their own OBD connectors. they connect it to a computer system to read the codes off their laptop/desktop systems.

i'm sure they'll be very cost effective.

anybody tried meddling with that? i'd sure love to get my hands on some technical details if anybody has..

ad
Old 7th March 2006, 08:52   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

This thing certainly works .. Tried and tested and on my zen , and man she used to pull ... When i needed performance i would reset the ECU and spin the car out & while i was on mileage mode i would reset it again and drive sedately .. Makes a phenominal difference in performance ..

Did anyone say cars cant learn ? The ECU certainly does make this possible ...
Old 7th March 2006, 09:00   #22
BHPian

Hello Dominic,
Excellent info on ECM's. I'm an ECM engineer working for a diesel engine manufacturer, I basically work on feature programming (features viz., cruise, abs, tcs, esp, turbo speed protection, engine over heating , clutch control bla bla bla....and so on)...sounds like a lot but you probably know that its all software eventually.
I know about the ECM;s that I work with that the fuel/torque tables (assuming most IC Engines these days have torque based fuel supply) are located in the ROM, but shouldn't that be the case with any computerised system that the look-up tables be based in the ROM and not the RAM as you've mentioned in your ECM thread. I'm not trying to prove you wrong here, i'm just curious. Basically I've just started working on my VW and have been trying to decode the ECU map, BUT, there's a MILLION lines of code that I cannot re-assemble and figure out, basically I just want to find the memory locations where the fuel tables are located. Several people've told me secondary way's to find out those but I just wanted to know/confirm that its not possible to do it a straight way by reassembling the (hex) code. Do you have any idea about this?
Do you also have any idea about VW's or what I can do about my problem. Have you worked on these since several years or what? I'm probably bugging you with so many questions.

Old 7th March 2006, 10:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

What abt this working fine with newer Santros?
Old 7th March 2006, 10:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze
I know about the ECM;s that I work with that the fuel/torque tables (assuming most IC Engines these days have torque based fuel supply) are located in the ROM, but shouldn't that be the case with any computerised system that the look-up tables be based in the ROM and not the RAM as you've mentioned in your ECM thread. I'm not trying to prove you wrong here, i'm just curious.
Yes it is true that there are loads of ECU's esp in the US that use the ROM to store the data, this is also true for most of the OBD2 complaint cars. However quite a few cars here in India are yet to have the technology available as the manaufacturers prefer the cars to run on permanantly set values.

Quote:
Basically I've just started working on my VW and have been trying to decode the ECU map, BUT, there's a MILLION lines of code that I cannot re-assemble and figure out, basically I just want to find the memory locations where the fuel tables are located. Several people've told me secondary way's to find out those but I just wanted to know/confirm that its not possible to do it a straight way by reassembling the (hex) code. Do you have any idea about this?
Do you also have any idea about VW's or what I can do about my problem. Have you worked on these since several years or what? I'm probably bugging you with so many questions.
Is your VW VAG complaint if so suggest that you look at the following tool
VAG - COM @ "http://www.ross-tech.com/" it will save you a lot of trouble trying to decode the HEX code.
Old 7th March 2006, 12:02   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
Is your VW VAG complaint if so suggest that you look at the following tool VAG - COM @ "http://www.ross-tech.com/" it will save you a lot of trouble trying to decode the HEX code.
I just wanted to confirm that the whole point that Ross-Tech developed such a tool is that, they know the ECU Memory Map. Memory Map = where in the memory what kinda data is located. where the fuel tables are located, bla bla bla. There's several people who work on Import cars (japanese and euro cars are called imports in the US) who've told me that all this information leaks its way from Germany, (some insider leaks the information for a meagre some to a relatively known tuning brand. This tuning brand then licenses its software and tools to many other locations in europe and North America. I just wanted to make sure that this is true. Cause me being an ECM engineer didnt want to pay 600$ for a stage - 3 microprocessor / ROM/ RAM whatever that is, from an "AMERICAN" tuning shop.
But seems like thats what I'm going to have to do.
But thanks a lot though for your reply

Hey domnic if you got anything to say about this do let me know.

Oh btw, psycho APR tuning NA also makes such tools, and there's a lot lot more german companies that license such software and interface cards to dealers only.

Old 7th March 2006, 12:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh btw, psycho APR tuning NA also makes such tools, and there's a lot lot more german companies that license such software and interface cards to dealers only.
Well I happen to be doing Pete's remaps here for VAG based ECU's and tinker around with the rest for some tricks. Dom is also doing aftermarket ECU's and RDKarthik on this forum builds standalone ECU's for some of the Indian cars.
Old 7th March 2006, 20:25   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
Well I happen to be doing Pete's remaps here for VAG based ECU's and tinker around with the rest for some tricks. Dom is also doing aftermarket ECU's and RDKarthik on this forum builds standalone ECU's for some of the Indian cars.
thats cool.... mann i love u guys and i love our team
good luck
Old 8th March 2006, 10:16   #28
BANNED

Psycho, is it worth it getting something like this for an Optra? A remap, or a stand alone? How much would it cost approx, and would I be able to hide it from my dealer (to avoid warranty issues)?
Old 8th March 2006, 12:07   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domnic
THe worst ecm's are in the maruti bracket. These cars have a basic IC which has a few preset programs. These cars only have a Throttle position sensor, Coolant Sensor and a Oxygen Sensor!. Timing is the same old method. When these engines are cold the cmputer runs in a rich mixture to heat the car up. Then as the coolant heats up the computer reduces the fuel mixture. These ecm's sense the RPM and have a 2 squirt rythmn to the injectors. And using a constant fuel map in the ecm it according to the readings from the O2 Sensor controls the time of opening for the injectors. Thats it!
Hi Domnic,

Few things i would like to add..The marutis have throttle position, camshaft posotion,manifold air pressure, inlet air temp., engine coolant temp., and 02 sensors. The ECU controls the injectors AND ignition based on all these inputs. Besides using the distributor for spark, the ignition system is nowhere near the older system.

cheers,
Karthik.

Last edited by rdkarthik : 8th March 2006 at 12:10.
Old 8th March 2006, 12:38   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I know about the ECM;s that I work with that the fuel/torque tables (assuming most IC Engines these days have torque based fuel supply) are located in the ROM, but shouldn't that be the case with any computerised system that the look-up tables be based in the ROM and not the RAM as you've mentioned in your ECM thread. I'm not trying to prove you wrong here, i'm just curious. Basically I've just started working on my VW and have been trying to decode the ECU map, BUT, there's a MILLION lines of code that I cannot re-assemble and figure out, basically I just want to find the memory locations where the fuel tables are located. Several people've told me secondary way's to find out those but I just wanted to know/confirm that its not possible to do it a straight way by reassembling the (hex) code.
How did you manage to get the code in the first place???? Even if you could figure out the memory map, the right assembler/disassembler itself would cost a bomb-unless you are using pirated stuff- Plus you got to think about programming tools , if the ECU is not capable of firmware updation through OBD2 port.. Guess its a lot cheaper to go through the aftermarket process.

The look-ups are in ROM, but its the other correction factors that are affected during a reset.

cheers
Karthik

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks