Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2008, 14:46   #76
Senior - BHPian

i agree. have gone thru the thread but i still have the same question...

What are the advantages of ECM reset/re-learning?

I understand that the ECM is in learn mode and then learns the high/low etc. but what does it translate to? What is the impact of the learning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Once reset the ECU will put itself into 'agressive learn mode'. When it is in agressive learning mode, the ECU will keep pushing timing and fueling, until it starts to sense knocks, then it backs off. It does at all RPM's, under all loads. And this is done for its continous and non-continous monitors.

Eventually, it will have enough data and will exit the agressive learning mode. From there, it will still make minor adjustments based on the sensors.

Also read the thread fully, ECU doesn't learn your driving style so much, but of highs/ lows, temperature, air, etc which it gathers from the sensors.

Not exactly,read above. Unless you have a open map ECU, then its a different ballgame altogether.
Old 9th July 2008, 20:58   #77
Senior - BHPian

Thats why I compiled a new thread which goes into many details.

Read it, specifically the ECU maps, Active Ignition timing and Ignition learning part.

Thanks for inspiring me

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
i agree. have gone thru the thread but i still have the same question...

What are the advantages of ECM reset/re-learning?

I understand that the ECM is in learn mode and then learns the high/low etc. but what does it translate to? What is the impact of the learning?
Old 9th July 2008, 22:34   #78
Senior - BHPian

@ dadu - thanx a lot. will go thru it soon..
Old 10th July 2008, 01:46   #79
BHPian

will the resetting the ECU void the warranty of the car?
Old 10th July 2008, 12:11   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
will the resetting the ECU void the warranty of the car?
Good question. No, ECU resetting will not void the warranty as you are not making any alterations. You are simply making it start afresh.
Old 10th July 2008, 13:00   #81
Senior - BHPian

Whats the diff in performance after the resetting has been done. Are there any test figures available for Indian cars?

Shan2nu
Old 11th July 2008, 13:07   #82
BHPian

The ECU/EMS learning is known as Adaptive Learning the ecu is basically re-mapping the base maps as per the inputs it gets and compares it to the previous drive cycle, if its a match after 2 drive-cycles this map now acts as the base map on which the ecu acts if those particular input conditions exist, re-setting the ecu/ems or any other computer module on a vehicle by disconnecting a power source is like using the reset button on your pc or calculator, it will set the base values as encoded by the manufacturer the first time and it does not void warranty if done right. Adaptive learn is when the control module learns the particular conditions that driver demands consist on each and every drive cycle.
The right generic procedure to re-set ecu/ems is to leave the battery negative terminal disconnected for 15 mins, in which the adaptive learn memory is erased. and the ecu/ems or any other control module is reset to it manafacturer installed coding.

Last edited by memo45_m : 11th July 2008 at 13:10.
Old 11th July 2008, 15:45   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Adaptive learn is when the control module learns the particular conditions that driver demands consist on each and every drive cycle.
The right generic procedure to re-set ecu/ems is to leave the battery negative terminal disconnected for 15 mins, in which the adaptive learn memory is erased. and the ecu/ems or any other control module is reset to it manafacturer installed coding.
But what sort of performance change can be expected after resetting? Will the car be more FE or will it be more aggressive?

U say that the ecu considers a base map after every 2 drive cycles. So, how does resetting really help since the ecu is again gonna change the base map after every 2 driving cycles. You'l prob have the factory base map for the first 2 drive cycles only, after which it'l take your first drive cycle as the base map.

Shan2nu
Old 11th July 2008, 18:19   #84
Senior - BHPian

Read the Ignition learning part of this thread here, if you are still not clear (shouldnt be) then I can try to simplify my answer.

But in short, changes that you can expect will depend on how you train(or drive) your car after the reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
But what sort of performance change can be expected after resetting? Will the car be more FE or will it be more aggressive?

U say that the ecu considers a base map after every 2 drive cycles. So, how does resetting really help since the ecu is again gonna change the base map after every 2 driving cycles. You'l prob have the factory base map for the first 2 drive cycles only, after which it'l take your first drive cycle as the base map.

Shan2nu
Old 12th July 2008, 23:13   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
if you are still not clear (shouldnt be) then I can try to simplify my answer.
Just give me a simple answer please.

Heres the scenario :

Consider 2 bone stock OHCs.

OHC 1 has an ECU that has not been reset. OHC 2 has had it's ECU reset but hasn't been started yet (no dirve cycles).

Both cars are ripped for the next 3 drive cycles at the same rate of acc, speed, duration and engine rpm.

After the 3rd drive cycle, both cars are switched off.

Now, in what way will OHC 2 be diff to OHC 1 when they are started for the 4th time, wrt performance/FE/base map.......and why.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 12th July 2008 at 23:14.
Old 13th July 2008, 18:40   #86
Senior - BHPian

OHC2 will be peppier and perform better Vs OHC1, why because of the reset as the Stock cars are still tested in factory and moved around by the dealer. FE might not be better than the OHC1.

A very simple answer to your question's would be, try it to believe it.

Quote:
Just give me a simple answer please.

Heres the scenario :

Consider 2 bone stock OHCs.

OHC 1 has an ECU that has not been reset. OHC 2 has had it's ECU reset but hasn't been started yet (no dirve cycles).

Both cars are ripped for the next 3 drive cycles at the same rate of acc, speed, duration and engine rpm.

After the 3rd drive cycle, both cars are switched off.

Now, in what way will OHC 2 be diff to OHC 1 when they are started for the 4th time, wrt performance/FE/base map.......and why.

Shan2nu
Old 14th July 2008, 02:21   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OHC2 will be peppier and perform better Vs OHC1, why because of the reset as the Stock cars are still tested in factory and moved around by the dealer. FE might not be better than the OHC1.
Have there been any tests conducted to show how much of an improvement there is on Indian cars?

When ever a tuner like Petes says his ECUs work on our cars, he has proof to back it with. There are performance figures to tell us how much the acc has improved.

So far, i haven't seen a single performance chart on this thread, for any Indian car which has had it's ECU reset.

Why don't you post some performance figures so that we atleast know this works.

Coz as far as i know, performance cannot be gauged by feel. Even i feel my car performs much better when it's been ripped for a while, so whos to say whos right?

I have no trouble believing you, provided you can prove it.

PS : Theres one point you haven't answered yet. Which "base map" will the two OHCs use on the 4th run?

Shan2nu
Old 14th July 2008, 12:46   #88
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, noone can provide you with that neither here nor anywhere because no one is offering you a product at a cost, it's a DIY based on a technical knowhow.

One can only measure by buying a software like Autotap and then monitoring the performance after the reset.

For the MAP question also, there are many possible combinations and one has to look through the software only.

I understand you want statistics but as I said its a DIY, if you are not comfortable, please dont reset your ECU.

Quote:
So far, i haven't seen a single performance chart on this thread, for any Indian car which has had it's ECU reset.

Why don't you post some performance figures so that we atleast know this works.

Coz as far as i know, performance cannot be gauged by feel. Even i feel my car performs much better when it's been ripped for a while, so whos to say whos right?

I have no trouble believing you, provided you can prove it.

PS : Theres one point you haven't answered yet. Which "base map" will the two OHCs use on the 4th run?

Shan2nu
Old 14th July 2008, 16:03   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, noone can provide you with that neither here nor anywhere because no one is offering you a product at a cost, it's a DIY based on a technical knowhow.
Dude, how is it a "knowhow" when nobody has statistics to show how it improves performance?

If i tell someone i feel my vtec can do 0-100 in 7 secs, he'l just ask me to buzz off. But if i do a performance test on my car and show them the acc figures, they wont have any issues believing it.

I hope you're getting what i'm trying to say here.

Shan2nu
Old 14th July 2008, 17:06   #90
Senior - BHPian

The Ignition learning and MAPS are patented documents, that how its a knowhow. Please search.

Beyond this, I am unable to add any further value to your queries.

Quote:
Dude, how is it a "knowhow" when nobody has statistics to show how it improves performance?

If i tell someone i feel my vtec can do 0-100 in 7 secs, he'l just ask me to buzz off. But if i do a performance test on my car and show them the acc figures, they wont have any issues believing it.

I hope you're getting what i'm trying to say here.

Shan2nu

Last edited by dadu : 14th July 2008 at 17:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks