Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2008, 19:05   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From your garage, I see that you have a freeflow exhaust (probably without catcon). And maybe you have cold air intake and performance air filter as well.
I only have a 4 x 1 header right now. Still using the stock exhaust pipe until the new one is prepared. My intake and filter are bone stock.

Quote:
After reset, the ECU is going to use the company settings, so that would account for the seeming loss of power. My guess is that you need to run a tankful or two to get back the old performance, but I am not sure about this. I hope you followed all the procedures that need to be gone through after ECU reset.
2 tank fulls??? Damn thats gonna take a long time. Yeah the ECU reset itself alright coz my clock went back to default and the mp3 player couldn't detect the CD inside until i removed it and put it back again.

But the question is, does 15mins of deactivation do the job effectively? I see some other people recomending that the negative be left disconected overnight. There seems to be lots of theories regarding the reset method.

Shan2nu
Old 19th July 2008, 20:59   #122
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
I only have a 4 x 1 header right now. Still using the stock exhaust pipe until the new one is prepared. My intake and filter are bone stock.

2 tank fulls??? Damn thats gonna take a long time.
On the web one can see many theories regarding how long ECU takes. From 2 days to one month of enthusiastic driving, but that is only when some serious mods have been done. Your car is virtually stock, so maybe it won't take that long.
Quote:
Yeah the ECU reset itself alright coz my clock went back to default and the mp3 player couldn't detect the CD inside until i removed it and put it back again.

But the question is, does 15mins of deactivation do the job effectively? I see some other people recomending that the negative be left disconected overnight. There seems to be lots of theories regarding the reset method.
From what I have read, most people recommend at least 30 mts for the ECU to reset.
Old 21st July 2008, 11:21   #123
BHPian

Sorry took the whole weekend to get back and write, well I did get to reset the ecu withe the maps on the e-manage ultimate zeroed, only to reminded that in about 5 hours i was to head to the drag strip to run brackets in the evening, which dyno runs were out of the question, well I still got the time slips from the last time to the one i ran this friday and the ones when I ran on the 20th of june: run1: 14.051, run2: 14.030, run3: 14.028, run4: 13.998 - these runs were with the e-manage tuned and the car had been setup on the dyno so the ecu had learnt a lot,the timings dropped as the temp got cooler as we went from 3pm to 11pm. now when i was there on friday 18th july, the emange was zeroed so all control was from the stock ecu which had just reset and the only time the car was driven was from my college to the drag strip which is approx of 12.5 miles, and here are the shocking E/T's: run1: 15.577, run2: 15.458, run3:15.388, well was not lucky this time around and got eliminated on the first round which was run3. But my observations was the transmission shifts were more smoother and the throttle response was way off but should I had got some dyno time to get figures the see the difference before and after it would have been really nice, so I thought I will get her up and running on the dyno as it was saturday and I had half a day before I head out to be racing the 79 camero around the dirt abt 100 miles away, till I am woken up at 8 in the morning, as I answer my call the voice on the other end went "hey buddy did you forget you were supposed to meet me at the go-karting track and then we head to the the dirt track" well I go ..... "be there in 30 mins" and go well i guess the dyno has to wait, it was my team owner and engine's instructor waiting for me at track as we had bet abt having a lil fun befor the big race we had ahead of us and we had reservations. Finshed Karting then head too the dirt track finish the long day at 2 am,coming 2ed to bag a wooping 7g's for the team, only to be told we were to stay back as the other car was being run on the following evening. Had a good sunday with my instructor finishing first putting the whole weekend a fruitful one, though it was really long and driving back home, I realize i my pile of papers I do have a set of dyno sheets where I had run the run the car on 2 diff days before instaling the e-manage, and here is the diff: run 1 the ecu reset on the dyno and taken for the 1st run pulled a dissaponting 133whp, run two done the following day and the ecu was reset and the car was driven all the way, I mean pushed hard really hard and the the final dyno chart was an improved 137.5whp, and then the emange was installed and tuned, some basic mods done and the car now pulled a good 210.7whp.
Old 21st July 2008, 12:12   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Hey all,
It works, it really works, it really really works.
I will post my comment about average on 21 st july as i will drive my car tomorrow for @ 300 km. Before resetting, average is 20 km/ lit on long run.
Thanks Dadu.
With ref to my above quote on 19/7/8,
yesterday, i made long trip of @ 400 km on road included state highway, district road and 4 laned national highway.
As earlier said, after resetting ecm of alto lxi, pick up increased.
On NH4, i was crusing at 105 km/hr. Engine was running smoothly, no stress felt on engine. In fact , i overtook all Indicas, Santros and Wagon r. Only Swift Dezire overtook my Alto.
FE has been increased from 20km/lit to 22 km/lit.
During coming back, it was uphill drive on nh4. Car was loaded with three guys and at 5th gear, i was overtaking all cars without any stress felt on engine.
Resetting of ecm has been really worked.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 21st July 2008 at 12:23.
Old 22nd July 2008, 07:24   #125
BHPian

It Sure Works

Hey guys, I dont know about the tech aspect of how the SCM gets resetted and how does it improves performance, but I am sure it really works wonders to your cars performance and overall smoothness. FE to seems to have improved. Cheers TBHP and thanks for letting me know how to revitalize my ride.
Old 22nd July 2008, 09:26   #126
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that but if you are inclined towards the learning, read this and post your queries, if any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifewater View Post
Hey guys, I dont know about the tech aspect of how the SCM gets resetted and how does it improves performance, but I am sure it really works wonders to your cars performance and overall smoothness. FE to seems to have improved. Cheers TBHP and thanks for letting me know how to revitalize my ride.
Old 22nd July 2008, 11:36   #127
BHPian

Here is the link if you guys would like to buy OBD-II scanners:
OBD-II Scantools | iRide Technologies
Old 14th August 2008, 08:14   #128
BHPian

hi guys,
today i installed the k&N stock replacement air filter in my chevy optra1.6.
=> now from this thread i decided to reset my ecm so that my engine gets accustomed to the new air filter. so i went to my mechanic who took me to another garage. this guy had a bosch ecm scanner which he attched to my ecm and scanned my entire car thru his laptop. somehow this machine was quite advanced and u could set the values and kindda stuff. it worked on bluetooth technology. he said that the air intake pressure and all was perfect and that to reset the ecm he will have to put in new parameters which will be modifed as per my requirement of better pick up and all. this guy repairs ecm on chip level for mercedez and porche also. thats what he showed me in actual!
i did not let him change any values and kept everything normal. he said the system is not self learning as discussed in this thread and that he will manually have to input the values.
now i am quite confused as in this thread we had discussed abt reseting the ecm as per what dadu had told us. but what this guy is saying is totally different!
also he said that if we remove the ecm fuse from the fuse box then it will only erase the error code memory of the ecm and that to basic error codes.
please let me know what should i do? i trust my mechanic he says dont reset the ecm.
Old 15th August 2008, 02:41   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesai_1981 View Post
also he said that if we remove the ecm fuse from the fuse box then it will only erase the error code memory of the ecm and that to basic error codes.
please let me know what should i do? i trust my mechanic he says dont reset the ecm.
mdesai,

Without having to debate this further - why dont you reset the ECM. You have nothing to lose.

It would be similar to changing your car battery if / when it dies.

If you wish to try it, give it a shot. No harm done.

cya
R
Old 15th August 2008, 12:55   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesai_1981 View Post
hi guys,
today i installed the k&N stock replacement air filter in my chevy optra1.6.
=> now from this thread i decided to reset my ecm so that my engine gets accustomed to the new air filter. so i went to my mechanic who took me to another garage. this guy had a bosch ecm scanner which he attched to my ecm and scanned my entire car thru his laptop. somehow this machine was quite advanced and u could set the values and kindda stuff. it worked on bluetooth technology. he said that the air intake pressure and all was perfect and that to reset the ecm he will have to put in new parameters which will be modifed as per my requirement of better pick up and all. this guy repairs ecm on chip level for mercedez and porche also. thats what he showed me in actual!
i did not let him change any values and kept everything normal. he said the system is not self learning as discussed in this thread and that he will manually have to input the values.
now i am quite confused as in this thread we had discussed abt reseting the ecm as per what dadu had told us. but what this guy is saying is totally different!

Where is this guy located? What is he likely to charge if I were to have him hook up his Bosch diagnostics and change a few things?
Old 15th August 2008, 23:35   #131
Senior - BHPian

Don't waste your time. Bosch diags cannot change functional values.
Old 15th August 2008, 23:37   #132
Senior - BHPian

What i found is that an ECM reset only lets my car learn faster. The optimum performance that i've seen with the reset was the same as what i used to get before my first reset.

I never got that "wow my car is so much quicker" feeling even once.

So for a car driven normal for a long time, you might see a big diff in performance but not if you've been redlining your car on a daily basis.

Shan2nu
Old 24th August 2008, 13:45   #133
BHPian

hi porter head, this guy is located in dahisar west if u want the contact it is through my mechanic who will guide u there his name is waltern and his number is +91 9224013425 quote him my name and he will take u this guy his garage's name is vtech
Old 20th January 2009, 12:11   #134
BHPian

guys,

I dont know if I have missed anything, but when I remove the negative terminal from the battery of my Alto Vxi, the theft alarm siren goes off. As a temporary measure i have removed the siren plug, but can still see the alarm goes off.

what do i do for this?

sai.
Old 20th January 2009, 19:16   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
guys,

I dont know if I have missed anything, but when I remove the negative terminal from the battery of my Alto Vxi, the theft alarm siren goes off. As a temporary measure i have removed the siren plug, but can still see the alarm goes off.

what do i do for this?

sai.

Then remove the positive terminal also and try

Some of the basic type of keyless entry systems (mostly provided by dealers as free offer) tend to forget the key codes if battery is kept removed more than half an hour and needs to be re-programmed. So just have look on the user manuals before trying to keep the battery terminals disconnected for long hours.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks