Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2018, 22:37   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Windshield broken without a reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
A slight drizzle tends to fog up the windows a little isn't it? Or is it an "English" issue?.
It's probably an English issue... where it rains all the time, or a Chennai issue, where is is either dry and hot or flooded!

These things are so climate dependent, and that, of course, is location dependent. I do not recall ever having even turned on my rear defogger in Chennai. But there are times when the outside windscreen fogs up, and I wish it had one.
Old 4th April 2018, 23:06   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's probably an English issue... where it rains all the time, or a Chennai issue, where is is either dry and hot or flooded!
Ha ha. BTW, just to clarify, I actually meant English as the language as I see you very active on the English language related thread. Perhaps I thought you found a grammatical mistake in the way I explained - and hence my reaction..
deep_bang is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2018, 12:56   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

no...

I'm active on that thread on account of being a native British (ashamed, after 13 years here, that I still speak only English). No, I was genuinely wondering why use the deffoger in rain.

The chief "cultural" difference is that, in UK, fogging will usually be on the inside of the glass, with warmer, moister air in the car and the glass cooled from outside.

Here (at least in humid chennai: of course other parts of India will vary) fogging is usually the hot most air outside, condensing on the glass cooled by ac from inside. Wipers are the way to clear it. I guess rain would wash it off, but not drizzle.

Sorry for the long ramble there! But still interested in the climate and temperature differential in/out at the time.
Old 26th November 2018, 12:50   #49
BHPian

Front windshield crack - Honda Amaze 2018

I had given my Amaze 2018 for service, and the windshield cracked after driving for about 30 minutes the immediate next day. I did a quick inspection of the car while taking it out from service, and I did not see any crack then.

Windshield broken without a reason?-amaze_crack.jpg

I did hear a faint 'tick' sound while driving, and couldn't figure out what exactly it was. After a couple of minutes I noticed this crack on the windshield.

- Can this crack be caused due to heat? The dashboard would be polished during service, could this cause heat to concentrate on the glass and result in this?

- Would it be a mistake from the service center hidden temporarily? Just a wild guess, but would it be possible?

- I have called up the service center already, but there is no response yet. Meanwhile I shot an email to Honda Customer Care about the issue. Could this be a manufacturing defect?

- I'm expecting either the service center or Honda to replace this free of cost since there is no mistake from my end. If Honda and the service center insists me to bear this from my own pocket, will the insurance handle the entire cost of replacement? (I've taken a zero-dep bumper -to-bumper coverage)

- Does this require a replacement, or is there any other solution?
Old 26th November 2018, 13:27   #50
BHPian

Re: Front windshield crack - Honda Amaze 2018

There are threads on windshield cracks, do look up. There's one about repeated cracks on a mobilio windshield too. The response from the service centre will depend on how adamant you are about it.

Replacement is the only solution.

Last edited by crdi : 26th November 2018 at 13:29.
Old 26th November 2018, 18:59   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
- I'm expecting either the service center or Honda to replace this free of cost since there is no mistake from my end. If Honda and the service center insists me to bear this from my own pocket, will the insurance handle the entire cost of replacement? (I've taken a zero-dep bumper -to-bumper coverage)
I am the owner of the Mobilio with the cracked windshield. I assume Amaze has a similar windshield though I'm not sure since this is the newer model.
The first time the service center guys assisted me in claiming insurance. They said that the crack was due to a stone falling on the edge of the windshield and believing them allowed them to claim insurance. However I was told that insurance will not cover in its current state of damage and the service guys took a hammer to it and damaged it further to claim insurance. The second time was within a few days and I had to pay out of my pocket. The third time was after a few months which was done on goodwill. Thankfully it is still holding on.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 19:28   #52
Senior - BHPian

Hope my experience helps:

My swift's windshield cracked probably due to extreme summer heat in Chennai, I was sure that crack appeared by itself and I didn't drive much the day before!

Took the car immediately to service and told them that windshield has cracked and needs to be replaced under warranty, they immediately told me it might be due to some stone hitting the windshield on the highway, I asked them to show the spot where the stone could have hit! they inspected it inside-out and couldn't find any spot.

They again insisted I use my insurance, I told them I can't loose my no-claim bonus and shell out money for a manufacturing fault, after few mins they checked to see if my car had any accident history. Since there was no such record, they agreed to change it under warranty, under the condition that I pay for few minuscule items, I agreed and it was changed within 2 days and given back.

Claiming warranty isn't hard with Maruti, if our request is genuine, not sure about how other brands work.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 20:18   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
...The third time was after a few months which was done on goodwill. Thankfully it is still holding on.
I am curious to know more about this case of cracking windshields. Haven't had this ever on the numerous cars I have owned and extensively driven.

Had a smallish crack at the base of the Accord's windshield and got it replaced under claim. Apart from that touch wood.

Was any reason offered by the learned members of the service centre as to why the windshield would crack so many times?

Actually it's only once per windshield but I hope you got the drift.
Old 27th November 2018, 09:49   #54
Senior - BHPian

had windshield crack twice. Both times it was due to a small stone kicked up by the car I was following.

The FNG told me that both the times the crack was primarily due to a weak spot - a manufacturing defect, as even tough stones will give a small local dent not a crack that propagates longitudinally.
Old 27th November 2018, 14:39   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
The second time was within a few days and I had to pay out of my pocket. The third time was after a few months which was done on goodwill. Thankfully it is still holding on.
May I know why insurance could not be claimed the second time? Did the insurance company reject the claim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The FNG told me that both the times the crack was primarily due to a weak spot - a manufacturing defect, as even tough stones will give a small local dent not a crack that propagates longitudinally.
This is precisely my point. I did some research and found that the 'L' shaped crack tends to be due to stress on the windshield (manufacturing defect) most of the times. Cracks due to stone would have a ripple effect, and would be clear when inspected closely.

Luckily the service center folks have not yet washed off their hands, and have requested me to get the car for inspection in a couple of days.
Old 27th November 2018, 17:13   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Can this crack be caused due to heat? The dashboard would be polished during service, could this cause heat to concentrate on the glass and result in this?

- Would it be a mistake from the service center hidden temporarily? Just a wild guess, but would it be possible?

- I have called up the service center already, but there is no response yet. Meanwhile I shot an email to Honda Customer Care about the issue. Could this be a manufacturing defect?

- Does this require a replacement, or is there any other solution?
Looks like it is one of the typical Honda issues. I haven't kept up with the news, but a crack had developed on my Accord. Used it with the crack for a year and sold it off.

Certainly safer to replace the windshield - given the bad road conditions in our country, any stress or disturbance from its equilibrium could cause it to come down collapsing. Not a good scenario to be in.

If you can escalate the issue with Honda more publicly, you can try getting it replaced under warranty - that would be a good solution. If not, the insurance could be invoked. I am guessing the overall replacement cost will be under 10k.

I had got one replacement done at windshield experts in Bangalore. Although they did a fine enough job, the IRVM would slip out of place through the bad, bumpy roads. I didn't see that well after over 6-months of using it since this vehicle is used mostly by dad.

In case you do get it replaced, you could test the IRVM slotting-in by tugging at it to ensure it is done well. Additionally, you way also want to test for water-seepage by doing a test for this appropriately.

Certainly annoying that one has take time out for these stupid manufacturing defects.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 19:03   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May I know why insurance could not be claimed the second time? Did the insurance company reject the claim?
I don't remember why. I think I had claimed 2 times already that year and that wha why, but I'm not sure.
Cost for replacing the windshield was Rs. 13000/- because the RS model is a different type. Heat rejecting.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 20:31   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
If you can escalate the issue with Honda more publicly, you can try getting it replaced under warranty - that would be a good solution. If not, the insurance could be invoked.
Honda agreed that the damage is due to defect from their end, and agreed to replace it free of cost. Still makes me wonder how safe Honda cars really are! A quick search reveals so many results of Honda cars with a windshield crack without any physical damage to the windshield from the owner.
scorpion_blore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 21:17   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Honda agreed that the damage is due to defect from their end, and agreed to replace it free of cost.
That's a nice, positive development. Yes, truly. In my assessment there are two issues that typically have been cropping up the Hondas -

1) The windshield crack (global issue, from what I've noticed)

2) Transmission slipping in the automatics.

Among all the Honda models, the most refined appears to be the Civic.
Old 1st August 2019, 15:55   #60
BHPian

Re: Maruti rejects warranty on basis of illogical reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx View Post
I have a swift vdi bought on 22nd september 2017.

Today i noticed a crack on the front windshield which developed without any reason.
My Swift's windshield also got cracked yesterday in exactly the same pattern as yours. Mine is a 2014 model.

How is your replaced windscreen holding up?
Attached Thumbnails
Windshield broken without a reason?-attachment.jpg  

Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed