Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2004, 16:16   #16
snoopy41

well,,one simple solution that would apply to all cars is to remove the stooopid plastic wheel covers that come as standard on most cars,,or fit alloy wheels ,,since the key to preventing brake fade is ADEQUATE VENTILATION,,also there is a chemical spray that is available at good accessory shops which you just spray on discs/drums,,to remove dust

Old 24th April 2004, 22:14   #17
BHPian

hehe just get some brembo's off bhushans car man
Old 8th June 2006, 23:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

u guys feel ikons brakes are pathetic.Try out my 800 or any other 800 for that matter u will know what brakes are.Rather than depend on the brake pedal u have to trust more in god while applying the brakes.Guys trust me i have been hating my 800 more since some days so much that i would not raise my eyebrow if someone were to break it into two
Old 10th May 2007, 13:43   #19
BHPian

Can disc braked be fitted at the rear in Ikon 1.6? anyone tried it yet?
Old 11th May 2007, 11:16   #20
BHPian

^ Yes disc brakes can be fitted at the rear in the 1.6, but its complicated and a bit costly too.

-Absar
Old 11th May 2007, 11:19   #21
BHPian

@Absar
Did u get it fitted in your Ikon or some friend of yours? Any idea about the approximate cost?
Old 11th May 2007, 11:36   #22
BHPian

Rather than going for Disc breaks at the back, its better to go for slotted rotors with better brake pads. Changing the back drum breaks to discs will change the break force geometry in the car and may be dangerous..Ikon brakes are electronically distributed. Brake force is distributed to all four wheels at a particular ratio. changing the rear breaks may result in loss of braking rather than improving bracking.
Old 11th May 2007, 13:26   #23
BHPian

@Shaz
The slotted rotors u mentioning, are they for the front or the back... cost of slotted rotors + brake pads?
Old 11th May 2007, 19:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by compenn View Post
@Absar
Did u get it fitted in your Ikon or some friend of yours? Any idea about the approximate cost?
No, I haven't done it on my Ikon. Brakes are stock. The cost was around 40-45k for better front rotors & calipers + rear disc brake conversion. The person who told me this had said that he hadn't done it on any Ikon, and he wouldnt recommend doing it either, because of the fact that the Ikon's brakes are electronically distributed, also mentioned by shazikon.

-Absar
Old 14th May 2007, 23:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

GTO's view about Brake fade being the main cause is pretty much it. Because I had noticed on my first set of Rotors and pads the car would have varying brake feel from a cold car to a warmer car (after a few kms). However the second set of rotors were far far better and I always have not gotten this answered that why were the original set so bad.

Ventilated Rotors, great suggestion. Where can we get them (for other cars as well )? Not looking at drilling holes in stock rotors, that will never give the desired results. Does Brembo Ferrodo etc have any presence in performance brakes area in India?
Old 14th May 2007, 23:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

I feel there's lots of nose dip in Ikon while braking which also adds to the scary feel for the driver.
Yeah overall also the braking is also no good....But it has awwssum handling with min body roll..
Old 15th May 2007, 10:52   #27
Team-BHP Support

ikon brake electronically adjusted?? i dont think so, its just hydrolic with booster and no electronics apart for brake pad wear indicator and fluid level indicator.

i had issues with first set of pads, but things improved tremendously after i changed the pads to new OE and yes i used to run around without hub caps so might have helped in cooling
Old 16th May 2007, 02:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
i had issues with first set of pads, but things improved tremendously after i changed the pads to new OE
Me too!!

But I had alloys from day 1 so it wasn't wheelcaps or something. The first set was bad. (not eh second set is awesome, but do-able)
Old 5th September 2007, 12:26   #29
BHPian

I understand, the front dics bites harder than the rear drums due to front-rear bias. Does any ikon owner feels the brakes are too bias on the front? I feel mine is. I tried braking hard and examined the skid marks. I don't see skid marks for the rear tyres. Note, this is done on my backyard at slow speed. Well, I tried this because I feel the ikon brakes quiet poor and only the front seems to be working.
Old 4th March 2009, 12:17   #30

Bad Braking - Ikon 1.6 Zxi

Hey Guys,

I have started using my dad's 2002 1.6 ikon. Having a lot of trouble getting used to the engine. Which in turn is affecting engine braking capabilities.
The car seems to want to over rev by itself. Whether on the highway or city, if I push the car a little and try to shift gears the the RPM just keeps increasing when I press the clutch. Not sure if this is normal.
We had some issues with speed sensor (or so they said). The RPM would just drop when you pressed the clutch and engine switch off at any speed!! That was a crazy time. They have replaced the sensor. But this problem persists.

Not sure if this is normal in the Ikon. I am more used to the old city. Trying to get the car to stop at higher speeds is a scary affair since i'm completely depended on brakes (and they arent too great either). Had the wheel lock up a couple of times.

Help!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks