Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2009, 18:06   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWagon View Post
Hey Guys,

I have started using my dad's 2002 1.6 ikon. Having a lot of trouble getting used to the engine. Which in turn is affecting engine braking capabilities.
The car seems to want to over rev by itself. Whether on the highway or city, if I push the car a little and try to shift gears the the RPM just keeps increasing when I press the clutch. Not sure if this is normal.
We had some issues with speed sensor (or so they said). The RPM would just drop when you pressed the clutch and engine switch off at any speed!! That was a crazy time. They have replaced the sensor. But this problem persists.

Not sure if this is normal in the Ikon. I am more used to the old city. Trying to get the car to stop at higher speeds is a scary affair since i'm completely depended on brakes (and they arent too great either). Had the wheel lock up a couple of times.

Help!!!
as a 1.6 owner, all i can tell you is that you get used to the braking characteristics. i haven't found any useful suggestions for improving braking on the internet except for upgrading the tyres. i've heard better brake pads being thrown around but i've not found any other specifics related to this.
Old 5th March 2009, 07:51   #32
BHPian

+1 to what Silver Shadow said. I have not found anything interesting and useful to change the braking characteristics (other than tyres & brake pads).
Old 5th March 2009, 13:10   #33

The car came with 13" wheels, upgraded them to 14" 185/60/14, has marginally helped with the braking, but what about the increase in RPM when i press the clutch. is that normal on ikons?
Shouldnt the RPM drop when you press the clutch?
Old 5th March 2009, 17:25   #34
BHPian

Quote:
The car came with 13" wheels, upgraded them to 14" 185/60/14, has marginally helped with the braking, but what about the increase in RPM when i press the clutch. is that normal on ikons?
Shouldnt the RPM drop when you press the clutch?
that doesn't happen in my car. get diagnostics done in a decent (& honest!) service center.
Old 5th March 2009, 17:41   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The car seems to want to over rev by itself. Whether on the highway or city, if I push the car a little and try to shift gears the the RPM just keeps increasing when I press the clutch. Not sure if this is normal.

We had some issues with speed sensor (or so they said). The RPM would just drop when you pressed the clutch and engine switch off at any speed!! That was a crazy time. They have replaced the sensor. But this problem persists.
I reckon this is something to do with the throttle cable, although this thread has a different solution as per normally_crazy's experience.

Link : RPMs_not_falling
Old 6th March 2009, 10:52   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Higher dependance on engine braking, thats what I do when zipping around in a car with poor stock brakes (Esteem, Ikon 1.6 etc.).
Old 8th March 2009, 18:59   #37

Thanks @benbsp29, have sent a note to Normally_Crazy, he seems to have faced a similar issue. Will keep you posted once he replies.
Old 28th June 2009, 22:53   #38
BHPian

Recently i got the OE brake pads replaced.
After that the bite had completely gone. I went back to the service center and got a useful piece of information.
The guy informed me that the handbrake lever should be typically adjusted so that it makes exactly 5 clicks while engaging. In the ideal case it should not be able to make even one more click. But what i have usually noticed in other Ikons too is that there are 10-12 clicks.

There is a nut near the end of the handbrake lever,which you can tighten to restrict the number of clicks to 5. This apparently makes the play of the foot brake smaller. As a result a smaller pressure on the foot brake translates into bigger force on the rotors.

Since then i am really liking the Bite of the brake.
Let me know if you try them and it works for you.
Old 28th June 2009, 23:49   #39
BHPian

Take it from someone who has had some extremely bad braking experiences in his 2005 Ikon 1.6... the brakes are unbelievably bad.

The car's done about 25,000Km and I just had the brakes replaced by Shaman Ford in bombay because the braking was virtually non-existent.

The problem is the BRAKING IS STILL AS BAD EVEN WITH BRAND NEW PADS, ROTORS, AND DRUMS!!!

I took it back to Shaman immediately, and their answer was 'brand new brakes take a little while to settle in'. I know this to be true, so I've been patient, but the car's done over 600km since then and it's been two months... the braking is still TERRIBLE.

Regarding the post about the handbrake... mine goes up one click, max 2. But... there's about 2" of play in the pedal, and even when the brakes catch, the braking's extremely poor. I'm going to take it back to Shaman and create an issue about this.
Old 29th June 2009, 01:16   #40
Senior - BHPian

I'd go for aftermarket brakepads. Drove a friend's Ikon once, scared the **** out of me at one point when I almost rear-ended a taxi. And this was at around 40-50kph. Will never make the mistake of pushing that car. Ever.
Old 29th June 2009, 01:22   #41
BHPian

oh my god, the car i've dreaming about till last few years had such a nightmare.
One thing i've noticed that i've seen more Ford cars with Front Banged than Hyundai.
Old 29th June 2009, 11:53   #42
BHPian

I have never banged the front of my Ikon. Instead i got rear-ended once, because of hard braking I guess some Ikons are blessed.
Old 4th July 2012, 10:01   #43
BHPian

Hi

I'm also trying to find a solution to a friend's 'lack of bite' issue with his brakes. He has a six year old Ikon. And while I have suggested changing vehicle instead, a solution where he could keep the car would be better.

Is there an after-market solution with people like N1 Racing?
Notice that the thread is alive for almost 9 years with no definite solution, or is it that the solution is too expensive for retrofitting into old Ikons?
Old 4th July 2012, 10:12   #44
BHPian

Re: the Ikon.. bad brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton View Post
Hi

I'm also trying to find a solution to a friend's 'lack of bite' issue with his brakes. He has a six year old Ikon. And while I have suggested changing vehicle instead, a solution where he could keep the car would be better.

Is there an after-market solution with people like N1 Racing?
Notice that the thread is alive for almost 9 years with no definite solution, or is it that the solution is too expensive for retrofitting into old Ikons?
I tightened the vacuum lines from the block to the booster and i found by brakes much much sharper. Also check the fluid , rotor ,brake pads. The biggest driver was the vacuum lines.
Old 4th July 2012, 10:27   #45
Senior - BHPian

Re: the Ikon.. bad brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkumar View Post
I have never banged the front of my Ikon. Instead i got rear-ended once, because of hard braking I guess some Ikons are blessed.
Touch Wood!!
Same here. I have also never faced issues with braking on my Ikon flair.
It's been a litte more than 28000 clicks on the odo and the car is still on it's original brake pads.
Have faced emergency braking situations that too during rains on the highway but the brakes per se has never given me any thoughts to worry about.
I was not aware regarding the clicks of the handbrake, I have not counted it. But will do so and report back.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 4th July 2012 at 10:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks