Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2017, 16:40   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Attached: BMW's full BSI & extended warranty price list (up to 10 years / 200,000 kms)

Just got a SMS from BMW dealer that prices of BSI packs will be increasing from Nov 1st
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 23:21   #47
BHPian

Re: Attached: BMW's full BSI & extended warranty price list (up to 10 years / 200,000 kms)

Updated list if service plans effective 1st Nov 2017
Attached Thumbnails
Attached: BMW's full BSI & extended warranty price list (up to 10 years / 200,000 kms)-7091cde98fb6447280427e6f182be372.png  

Old 20th February 2018, 11:27   #48
BHPian

Hi All,

Requesting quick opinions on this one please -

In principle, do you feel BSI is needed for 320d ? I know some say BSI gives peace of mind, its a good service pack for cars driven lots.. Some say BSI is not required instead opt for the extnd warranty only, BSI is expensive than what one ends up paying for each service..
Folks, bit confused around BSI.. Is it worth it? Let all opinions flow in..

Thanks everyone.. Awaiting good insights
Old 20th February 2018, 13:14   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
Hi All,

Requesting quick opinions on this one please -

In principle, do you feel BSI is needed for 320d ? I know some say BSI gives peace of mind, its a good service pack for cars driven lots.. Some say BSI is not required instead opt for the extnd warranty only, BSI is expensive than what one ends up paying for each service..
Folks, bit confused around BSI.. Is it worth it? Let all opinions flow in..

Thanks everyone.. Awaiting good insights
If your usage is high, Surely BSI is worth it, All depends on your usage & also a bit on how hard you drive, BUT to actually do the math if the BSI is worth it or not for you individually we would need more details, Have you bought the car already? If so whats your current running and usage?
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 00:48   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
If your usage is high, Surely BSI is worth it, All depends on your usage & also a bit on how hard you drive, BUT to actually do the math if the BSI is worth it or not for you individually we would need more details, Have you bought the car already? If so whats your current running and usage?
Thank You very much Tanveer for your response. My query was for a friend of mine. He already booked 320d and his usage will be around 15 k per year. I understand that the BSI coverage for 3 years will be around 1.4 L inr. Now with BMW calling cars for service every 12000 kms, i think in 3 years my friend would have clocked 45000 kms and 4 services. my estimate for each service would be around inr 30,000 ( i am willing to stand corrected on this service cost for a single event) so for 4 services he will be spending around 1,20,000.. now this is around the same figure that BMW quotes for 3 years BSI..

What do you think?
Also BMW quotes significantly higher amounts for the 5 year plan.. On critical evaluation, would this be because BMW knows the product will incur significant service costs?
Old 21st February 2018, 01:06   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank You very much Tanveer for your response. My query was for a friend of mine. He already booked 320d and his usage will be around 15 k per year. I understand that the BSI coverage for 3 years will be around 1.4 L inr. Now with BMW calling cars for service every 12000 kms, i think in 3 years my friend would have clocked 45000 kms and 4 services. my estimate for each service would be around inr 30,000 ( i am willing to stand corrected on this service cost for a single event) so for 4 services he will be spending around 1,20,000.. now this is around the same figure that BMW quotes for 3 years BSI..
15,000 Kms per year is surely good amount of usage, Keep in mind apart from the usual filters/Oil changes, Brake pads front/Rear are expensive & can even wear off as soon as 25k to 30k depending on your friends driving style, Both front & rear pads itself will cost somewhere around 40,000-50,000 INR easily, Remember its not always that the car will exactly ask for a service at 12000 kms, It can be much earlier if the car is driven the way it is supposed to be, For instance my 530d asks for an oil change every 7000 - 7500 kms, When serviced it shows next oil change to 12,000 kms but driving in traffic in our conditions & the way i drive it comes down to 7000 kms or so.

Quote:
What do you think?
Also BMW quotes significantly higher amounts for the 5 year plan.. On critical evaluation, would this be because BMW knows the product will incur significant service costs?
Your friend should go for it, Another friend of mine who has a 520d has replaced his brake pads twice & had the discs changed once already under 35k kms! His driving style is aggressive and he also makes sure he enjoys the car every bit & he doesn't have to worry about service cost! BSI gives you the freedom to drive the way you want because you know anything that wear's off earlier than expected, You won't have to pay for it.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 19:59   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreeing with Tanveer and continuing, having owned a 320d I can tell you that these are some of the spare prices:
- Front/Brake Pads - about 25k a pair
- Rotors - about 30k a pair
- Service - 30k a sitting

If the usage is higher than 10-15k a year, just blindly take the BSI. The extended warranty has nothing to do with wear and tear parts and it is useless when it comes to high and aggressive usage.

Just to give you an idea of the spare prices, the front parking bulbs are 4k a pair (halogen), the horn (hi+lo) is 10k. Not sure if they're covered, but just thinking about the spare prices makes me think it is all worth it if you have an aggressive driving pattern.
rocksterraghu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 17:14   #53
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I'm in dilemma whether to upgrade my 3 yrs / 60 K BSI to 5 yrs / 100 K. I originally took BSI Plus + RI and my mileage is on a higher side, having done almost 60 K in 2.5 yrs.

Specifically,

- Till now no suspension related issue has cropped up. I believe, such a requirement will definitely arise before 100 K mark. Does BSI Plus + RI cover suspension overhaul ?

- Brake pads lasted 37-38 K and 45 K for front and rear respectively, so they will be needed to be changed once between 60 - 100 K.

- Is battery covered in BSI Plus ?

- Service requirement varies between 9 - 11 K. So 4 regular services would be required until 100 K.

Given the above scenario does it make sense to extend the BSI, or should I just opt for extended warrant (RI).

Thanks,
Naman
Old 19th April 2018, 18:37   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naman View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm in dilemma whether to upgrade my 3 yrs / 60 K BSI to 5 yrs / 100 K. I originally took BSI Plus + RI and my mileage is on a higher side, having done almost 60 K in 2.5 yrs.

Specifically,

- Till now no suspension related issue has cropped up. I believe, such a requirement will definitely arise before 100 K mark. Does BSI Plus + RI cover suspension overhaul ?

- Brake pads lasted 37-38 K and 45 K for front and rear respectively, so they will be needed to be changed once between 60 - 100 K.

- Is battery covered in BSI Plus ?

- Service requirement varies between 9 - 11 K. So 4 regular services would be required until 100 K.

Given the above scenario does it make sense to extend the BSI, or should I just opt for extended warrant (RI).

Thanks,
Naman
It makes sense to extend the BSI as well. The service and replacement costs in the years to come will be high.

BSI does cover the suspension but not the battery. I have opted for the 5 year 80k cover.

Cheers,
Milin
milin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 09:33   #55
Team-BHP Support

Hi All,

I got a 330i GT M Sport in February and already got the 6 year extended warranty.
Right now, I am considering BSI. My running can be very variable and I expect 10K to 15K in a year. My driving style is 75% relaxed drive and 25% aggressive when I drive in the hills and twisties.

I want to go for the 5year/60K BSI for sure. But wanted to check if it is worth to go for the BSI plus.

The 5 year BSI costs 1.4L and the BSI+ costs 2.9L. For the extra 1.5Lakhs, BSI Plus covers front/rear brake pads and discs and once a year wiper change.

I want to know if there will be enough pads/disc and wiper change in 60K kilometers to warrant the extra 1.5Lakhs.

From various posts I see that the front brake pads may last anywhere between 25K to 30K kilometers and the rear a little longer. So, I think there will be at least one round of front and rear pad replacement, and possibily one more round of front pad replacement. This should cost 50K to 75K. How is the life of the discs?

I have not seen any mention of brake disc replacement requirement. If the discs last for 2 or 3 pad replacement cycles, then there will be no need for disc replacement in the 60K period. Has anyone needed brake disc replacement?

And what is the cost of the wiper blades? In 5 years, Will there be 4 replacements or 5?

Thanks in advance for all the inputs. Please also add your thoughts if there is anything else other than just pad/disc and wiper replacement that I am missing.
Old 29th May 2018, 10:44   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milin View Post
It makes sense to extend the BSI as well. The service and replacement costs in the years to come will be high.

BSI does cover the suspension but not the battery. I have opted for the 5 year 80k cover.

Cheers,
Milin
Thanks for the update.

I'm going ahead with the purchase of 5 yrs / 100 K extension. Just for information of others, current going cost is INR 1.7L when upgrading from 3 yrs / 60 K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

From various posts I see that the front brake pads may last anywhere between 25K to 30K kilometers and the rear a little longer. So, I think there will be at least one round of front and rear pad replacement, and possibily one more round of front pad replacement. This should cost 50K to 75K. How is the life of the discs?
Given your driving style, I'd guess brake pads should easily last 40 K. My situation is almost the same and front brake pads were replaced at 40 K while the rear were replaced at 45 K.

Currently, I'm at 60 K and and the service indicator shows a life of 30 K for the front and 40 K for the rear.

Do note that BSI + covers suspension parts as well. Wear and tear related parts come under BSI + while shockers come under warranty. Ground reality may be different

Last edited by navin : 29th May 2018 at 11:44.
naman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 19:28   #57
AJo
BHPian

Hi All,
Am in a similar dilemma as others -
Planning to get my new X1 MSport next month. Most likely that I would use the X1 for 5 years (50k+ km). My driving style is 'sedate' with 80% city driving & the rest on highways. This is my first step into the BMW world & was earlier used to good old Toyota (Fortuner). Hence am worried about maintenance costs!!

The BSI Basic costs 1.47 Lacs for 5yr-60k km while the BSI+ is 3.18 Lacs. Am already buying the Extended Warranty. Should I get the BSI Basic or the Plus?

Just thinking out aloud:
I hear the usual X1 service costs 25k to 30k, so paying 1.47lacs for 5 year is like paying upfront for 5 services? - With the added benefit of savings for inflationary swings. (with the Rupee depreciating?).
Probably would be good to get the BSI Basic & start a Recurring Deposit for Rs.3k per month for 4 years so this will take care of the Brakepads-discs & other expenses incurred typically in the 4th year on wards? (I replaced my AT Fortuner's pads in the 4th year at 40k km)

Any advice would be definitely appreciated.
Thank you,
AJ
AJo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 23:11   #58
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

AJ

Anticipate All Brake Pads and tyres change every 25-35k kms basis your driving. Anticipate Brake Disk change every second Brake pad change.

Be sure to take the warranty. The rest doesn't really matter whichever way you go.

Last edited by ACM : 24th August 2018 at 23:13.
Old 25th August 2018, 07:05   #59
AJo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
AJ

Anticipate All Brake Pads and tyres change every 25-35k kms basis your driving. Anticipate Brake Disk change every second Brake pad change.

Be sure to take the warranty. The rest doesn't really matter whichever way you go.
Hi ACM,
I was planning on the 4 yr extended warranty, but going through your X3 troubles has me worried. I guess, if I plan to keep the car for 5 years (50k km) - Should have the 5 yr warranty? (At 1.42 Lacs - its not exactly cheap )

When you say "the rest doesn't really matter whichever way you go" - Do you mean that the BSI Basic or Plus is just about paying the costs upfront rather than later? (No savings per se?)

Thanks,
AJ
Old 25th August 2018, 11:18   #60
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJo View Post
Hi ACM,
I was planning on the 4 yr extended warranty, but going through your X3 troubles has me worried. I guess, if I plan to keep the car for 5 years (50k km) - Should have the 5 yr warranty? (At 1.42 Lacs - its not exactly cheap )

When you say "the rest doesn't really matter whichever way you go" - Do you mean that the BSI Basic or Plus is just about paying the costs upfront rather than later? (No savings per se?)

Thanks,
AJ
I would take the 6 years version not even the 5 yrs version. Better resale.

The BMW warranty covers multiple suspension components as well, and electronics like wheel speed sensors. Stuff like steering rack is covered. This type of stuff fails more with age and usage.

Just years 5+6 on my X3 cost 2.1L after 4 yrs and it has been well worth it.

Paying upfront for service and consumable while giving some savings can go waste if for any reason one does not actually end up using the car for planned kms.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed