Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2015, 17:53   #31
BHPian

Re: Steering wheel locks up while driving!

Or does it mean that the EPS is assisting the steering input but in the complete opposite direction? If so, for every small input he gives, the motor would be assisting/fighting in the opposite direction.
This can explain Avenger123's case of the Electric motor, EPS module and torque sensor being replaced. If the torque sensor mixes up its detection, then this could happen right?
Old 20th August 2015, 00:39   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
3. Last week, just before service my brother was on slight rough patch of road, about to enter a left hand turn. The steering locked up again!
This time, with force & 2 attempts my brother could 'break' the lock & drive it away safely/luckily!
Ace.
I'm not sure how you brother could have used force and steered the car if it indeed was a 'steering lock', similar in behavior as removing the key from the steering column. If he was able to steer, and nothing was broken in the steering column as he applied force, it points to a lot of friction for some reason, or loss of EPS.
Old 20th August 2015, 08:04   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinuvilla View Post
I'm not sure how you brother could have used force and steered the car if it indeed was a 'steering lock', similar in behavior as removing the key from the steering column. If he was able to steer, and nothing was broken in the steering column as he applied force, it points to a lot of friction for some reason, or loss of EPS.
I have steered my car with a dead battery for a jump start and I was able to steer the car with difficulty but far from being impossible. It's definitely different from a lock and it is actually relatively easy to steer when the car is moving, like in non PS cars.
Although it is much harder than a non power steering car because one has to fight against the dead EPS motor but still manageable.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 10:51   #34
BHPian

All,

Update after taking car to service (yesterday):

1. The senior SA gave clear explanation of work done (since we had complained about the steering locking up while driving).

2. The Steering assembly was greased, EPS motor was again checked with Hi-scan (no error codes, functioning is OK) & checked for smooth/unobstructed motion. The lock assembly was also checked.
There was no rust/stickiness observed in the lock assembly.
They had a lock model (removed from another car) & SA explained it's working & points checked in the service.

SA tested the car for 30+kms. After that My brother also drove the car another 60+kms (in controlled conditions/deserted back roads/ground nearby)

SA has advised to use the car regularly & not twice in a month (like it is used now).

Further more testing was done - rotating steering all the way to Left - to Right & repeated.
Brake, Handbrake, urgent stopping etc. were tried.

Brother tells me, the Sr.SA was really prompt & sincere with explanation & testing. He does understand our concern & has assured us, that mechanically -steering assembly + lock, are in good condition.

The car has not had any problem, no locking in the tested ~100odd kilometers.

----

Thank you all for your inputs.

We will keep the car on "test" mode for coming week (my brother would be taking it to a ground just adjacent to our home).

To be frank, I don't see there is ANY way to be sure, if the problem is gone or rectified!

The SA however says the greasing work was done & overall inspection does not indicate any problem with either of the assembly.
We have decided to take SA's advise of testing the car over next few weeks & if the incident reoccurs in testing phase, record the incident & replace steering lock/steering assembly.
I will make a trip to home & test the car rigorously over a weekend ASAP.

Once again, thank you all, for the suggestions & shared experiences/links/information & advisory caution on safety!

Safety is definitely FIRST.

Fortunately, that car is not a 'daily driver'. So, we can afford to keep it in "test" mode for next month or so.

Fingers crossed until then!

Ace.

P.S.
Meantime, important help/advice:

Suggest me what sort of tests I can run to try and recreate the problem (if it persists!)
Be assured, I will be doing this test driving on deserted back roads and/or ground (preferably)

Last edited by driverace : 20th August 2015 at 11:01.
driverace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 13:24   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
All,

[/b]Meantime, important help/advice:

Suggest me what sort of tests I can run to try and recreate the problem (if it persists!)
Be assured, I will be doing this test driving on deserted back roads and/or ground (preferably)
I think driving in a tight S-Bend/zigzag track at speeds where assist is working (<30?) so that the steering gets a complete workout. Preferably with all electricals on, so that effect of battery voltage drop effect on the EPS can be seen, if any.

Also please record your driving continuously on your phone (android phone+ car charger+ mobile holder+ Dailyroads voyager app for circuit recording). If possible the camera should be aimed from your Rear/front left, so that the steering inputs that you give are recorded.
nijelj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 17:41   #36
BHPian

This happened to us today, My Renault's Duster steering got locked today while driving, It was a straight road & low speed. Thanks almighty, my family was saved. The car has been towed to the service center for diagnosis.
SYSTEMIZED is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks