Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2004, 13:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

okk!
what are the other reasons/causes of a car catching fire
Old 26th April 2004, 13:13   #17
BHPian

a compromised fuel delivery hose..mostly in older cars specially if the fuel is petrol .. the leaked fuel sprays on to hotter components in the engine bay and u have a healthy fire..
Old 26th April 2004, 22:40   #18
BHPian

take my advise, dont go for any thing just run away from there or u may blow out with your car

Power freak
Old 26th February 2005, 01:59   #19
BANNED

what to do ........

this post is really old but

then what would we do if it turns out this does happen especially since the summer is up and it can happen to anyone
Old 26th February 2005, 04:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vance0712
this post is really old but

then what would we do if it turns out this does happen especially since the summer is up and it can happen to anyone
Like everyone said,runnn for your life!!
On a serious note,there is nothing much one can do when such a situation arises.Well,one can also call the local Fire Department,as soon as possible.

Anyways,its always better to get the wiring done professionally and get it checked at proper time intervals to avoid this hassle.
As always,precaution is better than cure.Aint it.

X
Old 26th February 2005, 08:34   #21
Team-BHP Support

If you have a fire extinguisher, try and pop the bonnet slightly (more will allow more oxygen) and spray through the gapsthen open bonnet fully and finish the job
Old 26th February 2005, 09:33   #22
BHPian

Im with Ajmat.......Just as a seatbelt or airbag are there for occupant safety.......i think that a fire extinguisher is also a must......not only for an engine fire but also for a fire in the cabin....
Old 21st July 2005, 02:33   #23
BHPian

How about this...

Stop at the nearest petrol pump and ask for a bottle of chilled mineral water (and pay by credit card) ... don't wanna get any ol' water on that high tech stuff under the bonnet do we !
Old 21st July 2005, 14:51   #24
Team-BHP Support

Yeah....great idea to stop by a petrol pump when your car is on fire....

R
Old 21st July 2005, 15:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan

R

You have more guys dedicated to stop the fire in your car

Pour buckets of water to the affected area indirectly (i.e the water needs to get in touch with the fire area while flowing down), if that's not possible try with some sand or just go to a markable distance to see what happens.

Will the damages done by fire will be covered under Insurance?

Last edited by Surprise : 21st July 2005 at 15:21.
Old 21st July 2005, 16:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

R

when u stop by a petrol pump in a burning car ,u need not worry.the fire brigade will be there .

in cas e of a fire,just switch off the engine and if its possible open th e bonnet u can try and throw some sand,gravel on th eburning part if its an electrical fire.

so it s better you carry a fire extinguisher .

i am gonna buy mine today.
Old 21st July 2005, 17:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

hehe... this thread reminds me of an episode of Most Stupid Acts, or something like that. This dude was returning from a camping trip when at a police check post, smoke started coming out of his car's hood. When they popped the hood, there was a huge fire inside. Reason? Well, since this guy's trunk was full, he decided to put the remaining stuff in the hood. The remaining stuff just happened to be rubber material, plastics and to top it all, a propane cylinder!!

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 21st July 2005, 17:31   #28
BANNED

May be a lil late on this post... but the best thing to do if you see fire from under the hood is park the car.. get out and DO NOT POP THE HOOD...
ok by now all you guys must be thinking Im nuts... but read on.... if you pop the hood.. you are in effect feeding MORE air into the engine bay and more air means more oxygen.... hence your FEEDING the fire...
so my suggestion is just keep the lid closed..... it'll kill the flames ( hopefully)
If it dosnt work... well then you can kick yourself for not keeping a fire extinguisher in the car
Old 21st July 2005, 18:28   #29
DRC
BHPian

The best way is to stop and switch off .
If fire is major run for life...

else
Look for awailable estinguisher.
if it is electrical fire

Water can be used , (Note it is only 12V unlike home electricals of 230 V. ) The moment you have some chance to touch some thing snap off battery connections.. save the car.

If it is a fuel fire, You must use a suitable estinguisher.. using water may spread the fire..

I had come across an instance, An esteem cought fire in a petrol bunk on Tumkur highway. Though petrol pump guys had the estinguisher, they refused to give it to the car guy..(It's ours!) Some of the near by bore well truck operators quickly pushed the car out of petrol pump and put off the fire using water..
Old 21st July 2005, 18:48   #30
Team-BHP Support

...then there was fire...

Quote:
R
thats a great idea, R. lots of fireworks!!

this happened to a friend of mine a couple of years ago. on a busy weekday morning, he was driving to his factory somewhere near Panvel in his brand-new week old Lancer SFXd.
all of a sudden he sees flames coming out from under/around the hood. he quickly pulls to the side, leaps out of the car and runs!
good thing too, as the flames cover the whole car in a matter of minutes.

diagnosis was some engine failure (i'm not too sure of the details). anyways, he received a heavy compensation from Mitsubishi, India and a brand new SFXd in exchange (no cost, of course).

ad

Last edited by aah78 : 21st July 2005 at 18:49. Reason: modifying content

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks