Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2019, 12:56   #61
BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta DCT Automatic: Gearbox woes

Hi,

I am currently being fleeced by Ford for placing my faith in the Ford fiesta 2012 DCT model. The car has done ~ 30k kilometers and has been used to ferry around elders in the family and pick up kids from the school. It has seen hardly 10k kms of highway usage.

With this background, I will briefly narrate the issue :-

1.Vehicle was due for service and it went to PPS Ford Domlur for the routine service. Just couple of days before this service , I noticed the check engine light and felt lot of jerkiness in the car. This was mentioned to the RSA when the the car was given for service.

2. In the routine service, the RSA mentioned that they have cleared the codes for the engine light and have also updated the TCU software. Since this was the first time this happened even I did not dig into this issue and car was trouble free for the next 15 days.

3.In one of my weekend runs, I noticed that the check engine light had come on again and the vehicle used to jerk/slip again in the 10 odd kms that I drove it. I immediately took the vehicle to PPS ford for diagnostics.

4.The RSA again came back saying they will refresh/reboot the TCU. When i mentioned that it was not just the check engine light coming on, but also the accompanying jerks and slips that were not normal, they agreed to do a complete checkup.

5.The next day, the RSA calls and says that the entire clutch pack needs to to be replaced!! The estimated cost was coming to a 1.5 lakhs + !!! I flatly refused to pay and asked to see the manager. Since it was already close to 7 in the evening, I asked the PPS service folks to put the car together and send it back to me with the diagnostics bill and I would not be paying a dime more.

6.When I have diligently done the services on time, taken good care of the car and have had extended 5 year warranty(2012-2017) and was even ready to pay for additional warranty post 5 years knowing very well that the DCT box was not without issues, the latest turn of events have left me a bitter person.

7.The next day, the Ford PPS RSA calls me and says that Ford has agreed to replace the clutch pack and 2 more motors associated with the clutch pack as customer goodwill and that i will have to bear the labour and other miscellaneous costs. This was unbelievable news from FORD!

8.Elated at this news, I happily agreed to this and asked them to procure the parts and start the job of replacing the required parts. Later in the same day, I realized that I had not enquired the labour and miscellaneous costs. When I called PPS Ford for the same, they sheepishly say it will be in the ball park of 40K

I am yet to get my vehicle back post this ordeal.

Apologies for the rant, but this incident has left a bad taste in my mouth. I can take all this in my stride, IF
1.I had abused the vehicle to no end.
2. Not got the vehicle serviced on time every time in the last 7 odd years.
3.Taken care to adjust to the nuances of the DCT gear box(putting it in 'N' in signals, bumper to bumper traffic as required, always warming up the vehicle to enable the oil to lubricate the engine on start, never letting the vehicle half clutch by not applying the breaks fully)

So much for being an enthusiast!!
Neo18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 14:18   #62
BHPian

^^ As the DCT issue is a known one and Ford is replacing the part on good will, you should be able to push for discounts on labor as well. Best is to discuss with the Manager in person and keep Ford in the loop.
Old 7th July 2019, 15:40   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo18 View Post
Hi,

I am currently being fleeced by Ford for placing my faith in the Ford fiesta 2012 DCT model. The car has done ~ 30k kilometers and has been used to ferry around elders in the family and pick up kids from the school. It has seen hardly 10k kms of highway usage.

With this background, I will briefly narrate the issue :-

8.Elated at this news, I happily agreed to this and asked them to procure the parts and start the job of replacing the required parts. Later in the same day, I realized that I had not enquired the labour and miscellaneous costs. When I called PPS Ford for the same, they sheepishly say it will be in the ball park of 40K

I am yet to get my vehicle back post this ordeal.

So much for being an enthusiast!!

The Fiesta's DCT was covered fully (parts and labour) for 10 years. You are being wrongfully charged for labour by the dealer. You should write to Ford to clarify this.

My fiesta which I sold last year had covered similar mileage with even lesser kms spent on the highway. I was lucky that I never faced any issues with the gearbox.

My ecosport DCT on the other hand has just had its clutch pack and TCM module replaced last month after covering 47k kms mainly on highways!

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 7th July 2019, 19:27   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo18 View Post
Hi,So much for being an enthusiast!!
Ford India very well knows about their dual clutch woes and is usually generous when it comes to goodwill warranty claims. Since you have always got your car serviced at the dealership and religiously followed all service schedules, please put your foot down and refuse to pay anything towards this replacement.

Mail Ford India, involve them in this and make them understand that you as a customer should not pay a penny towards anything because the dual clutch gearbox had issues and has high failure rates.
I do not know what is up with manufacturers these days, approving replacement of part but asking people to pay for labour, does not make any sense.
Old 10th July 2019, 13:47   #65
BHPian

I also happen to own and Ford Fiesta DCT 2012 and while it has been a great car the ownership has not been trouble free. In about 7 years I have covered about 1.65 L kilometres. I have had problem twice.

1. Car refused to start while I was visiting Pune (from Mumbai). It was towed to nearest service shop where they replaced a part which was costing about Rs 48 K but I was not asked to pay anything even thought car was out of warranty. I had to remind them that they have given 10 years or 2.4 L KMS warranty on automatic transmission.

2. After completing about 1.2 L KMS the transmission became jerky so, I took it to Bhavna ford Turbhe who told me that the clutch is faulty for wear and tear and they can not do anything about it. The cost of repair was Rs 2 Lacs including service cost of about Rs 50K. I told them that there is not manual clutch and that since the transmission box is sealed for 10 years, they have to cover it but they were unaware and with normal attitude that they have towards customers. I started writing emails to Ford and they assured that they are looking into the matter. Later, they told me that the problem was because a part was rusting but they will still cover it free of cost under goodwill. I thanked them and got my car back in 10 days without paying anything. I did remind them that they were facing class action in USA and that they were aware of faulty transmission when they sold the car to me which amounts to fraud and I would take them to consumer court. They were supportive but that can not be said about Bhavan Ford but folks fell in line after Ford took keen interest.

Ford did not extend warranty on Fiesta AT beyond three years but transmission does carry a 10 year/240000 KMS warranty. There is enough material online to support this claim. If facing problems with transmission, we must involve Ford and get all repairs done free of cost.
RajeevSharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 14:26   #66
BHPian

Folks,
The that every DCT owner dreads has come. My driver reported that the my Ecosport 2014 DCT has lost reverse gear on an airport run and the shifting was jerky. I sent it off to PPS Ford workshop in Bangalore on a flatbed next morning to avoid further damage. The workshop confirmed that the gearbox needs to be opened and have raised a ticket with Ford. Now waiting with fingers crossed to see how Ford honours their warranty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks