Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2006, 10:18   #1
BHPian

Tata Safari's A/C

I am in the process of finalizing a Sumo/Dicor/Scorpio.
The Company brochure do not mention the technical details of AC.
The sales guy at Manipal Motors informed me that the New Safari has a 1 ton A/C (on a 3000cc engine) and the Scorpio a 2 ton A/C (on a 2600 engine ) and the cooling effect is almost the same in both the cars. Does this make any sense? . Considering Safari a bigger vehicle I would have imagined that it has a bigger capacity compressor. How does a buyer identify a good A/C system in a car?.

2. Is it true that the new models for Safari Dicor and Scorpio, are coming out before Diwali?
3. Are there any engine problems in the Safari Dicor?

Please help.

Last edited by Mpower : 5th September 2006 at 22:59.
Old 5th September 2006, 10:52   #2
Team-BHP Support

Look at the service book of any safari. the dealer can give it to you. That has lot of technical details about the cars which cannot be found *anywhere* else. Atleast for indica that is the case. So I presume safari should be similar. Steeroid?
Old 5th September 2006, 23:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Take it for a test drive on a hot day and sit in the back seat and see how good it is.

Dont get carried away by numbers. Various factors determine AC performance.
Old 5th September 2006, 23:30   #4
BHPian

Ya thats very much true. I somehow like the bolero's A/c too. I guess it came with a 1.5T a/c and it rocked !!
Old 8th September 2006, 21:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

sometime back, overdrive or auto car had a very comprehensive a/c comparison across segments where they tested cooling efficiency at different points in the car. see if u can access some old issues in a library....
Old 8th September 2006, 23:45   #6
BHPian

@ jango: the bolero's a/c was ranked 3rd overall way ahead of even S class. no wonder u liked it.

BTW, how much is the baleno a/c in numerical terms (tons)?

1 more question i have, in terms of faster cooling which is better, petrol ones or the diesel ones?
Old 8th September 2006, 23:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani
@ jango: the bolero's a/c was ranked 3rd overall way ahead of even S class. no wonder u liked it.

BTW, how much is the baleno a/c in numerical terms (tons)?

1 more question i have, in terms of faster cooling which is better, petrol ones or the diesel ones?
ho comeon! thats a joke or a typo, did you check the next issue which may have had a column with apology for typo
Old 9th September 2006, 12:39   #8
BHPian

i did not check the next issue but surely in that issue it ranked balero at number 3, right after baleno & opel astra club class
Old 9th September 2006, 14:23   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The twin dashboard + roof mount setup that the Safari and the Victa GX have, works very well. The a/c blower setup on the Scorpio with the second set of blowers for the second row [between the two front seats] should also be good enough.
Old 9th September 2006, 14:33   #10
BHPian

u beleive a tata sales guy . i had an experience during service when my ac's thermostat stopped working the service guy didn't even knew that the car's idle increases slightly when we turn it on ........the point is go for written information don't beleive a sales guy
Old 10th September 2006, 22:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Safari A/c

I know nothing about these tech details of AC in a car. I have a 1998 4x4 Safari that has an AC outlet right in the boot as well. I do quite a lot of travelling by road especially to Rajasthan (Jodhpur) during summers. I have had no issues with my safari AC. As long as I am inside the vehicle it is like Shimla and as soon as I open the door and step out...it is like landing in a blast furnace..

I have had a Maruti 800 DX, Maruti 1000, Gypsy with AC and an Esteem in the past. While the 800, Gypsy and 1000 made you sweat while idling in traffic jams and signals in Delhi, the Esteem was lot better in terms of cooling. Safari's AC had no such issues...:-)
Old 12th September 2006, 10:55   #12
BHPian

Roof Mounted AC System

Hello Everyone,

I have query regarding the LX and EX version of the DICOR. I am considering between the two and the only reason I am thinking of the EX is that it has a roof mounted AC system. I would like to know from existing users the following.

a) Is the standard AC provided in the LX good enough for Delhi Heat so that to not go for the EX version because of the AC?

Thanks for your inputs everyone.

Regards,
Sumit.

ps: gd1418, your Safari looks hot!!!. Is it one of the DCed Safaris.. looks very similar with the integrated bull bar.
Old 12th September 2006, 11:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitsingh
a) Is the standard AC provided in the LX good enough for Delhi Heat so that to not go for the EX version because of the AC?
I doubt it - you need the second set of coils in the roof-mounted a/c.
Old 12th September 2006, 19:01   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

second that - the roof mount unit makes a lot of difference.
Old 12th September 2006, 22:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

OT: Does the AC compressor sap power from the engine even when the AC is turned off?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks