Team-BHP - Cleaning a cast-iron engine block?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Cleaning a cast-iron engine block? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/167774-cleaning-cast-iron-engine-block.html)

Hi,

I am cleaning a side valve engine whose Block & Head are made of cast iron. This engine was sitting for the past 30 years in a place & the oil has become hard. I tried cleaning it with Kerosene, Diesel, Petrol & a mixture of all with Brake Oil. However there is some amount of black sooth inside the walls around the Crankshaft & the rust around the external side of Cylinders, Water Passages & Jacket, Oil passages are still blocked to some extent. Someone told me to dip the whole block in Caustic Solution which I do not want. Please suggest the best way to clean it. please:

Thanks & Regards

Mods: Please move the thread to appropriate forum if found wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagadeesh.b (Post 3793460)
Hi,

I am cleaning a side valve engine whose Block & Head are made of cast iron. This engine was sitting for the past 30 years in a place & the oil has become hard. I tried cleaning it with Kerosene, Diesel, Petrol & a mixture of all with Brake Oil. However there is some amount of black sooth inside the walls around the Crankshaft & the rust around the external side of Cylinders, Water Passages & Jacket, Oil passages are still blocked to some extent. Someone told me to dip the whole block in Caustic Solution which I do not want. Please suggest the best way to clean it. please:

Thanks & Regards

Mods: Please move the thread to appropriate forum if found wrong.

If it is made of Cast Iron then I think you have to get it washed with acid. There would be specific guys in your town who would do it, just ask a mechanic as to where to get it washed with acid. It would be as good as new.

Best way to clean (needs patience):
Soak in diesel for a few days (or even 1-2 weeks) in a large bucket / container, then clean with a plastic brush (such a a toothbrush).

Quick way:
Soak in caustic soda solution for 1-2 hours (even 24 hours), then clean with a plastic brush.

Wear gloves when working. Also, preferably, a mask.

Patience is the key. Since the engine is been sitting so long do not expect results in one cleaning. Repeat few times.

You can try and clean it ultrasonically, if available in Indore. Basically the whole block is immersed in a tank of water & some chemicals and ultrasonic waves are introduced in the solution. Google and see if this facility is available. Great results :)

Dear Jagadeesh.
Would strongly advise you to buy a can of 3M Choke and carb cleaner,just spray this on the parts requiring cleaning. Trust me this thing helped me clean by engine to brand new like look.

Its safe to use as its actually designed to clean muck from carbs and throttle bodies.

Reagrds,
manoj

If its oily and greasy mess you want to clean, Pickup few liters of 100% Acetone (not nail polish removers or the diluted ones sold commonly). That should be able to remove any and all remaining oily crud.

For external cleaning, have the block glass bead or grit blasted. Make sure that important sealing/bearing surfaces are properly masked before blasting. This process will remove all surface rust and contaminants to leave the block with a lightly roughened finish. Masking should be some sort of metal or thick plastic that can be sacrificed. So bearing seats could be protected by old bearings, bolt holes with old bolts, gasket surfaces with old gaskets, etc.

If masking is not possible, acid dipping is the next best process. Talk to people in the metal treatment industry who do this to find out what process will work best for your application.

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for the helpful advice. I have found a guy in Hyderabad who says he will do a acid wash. I will try this over the weekend & let you guys know the results.

Thanks & Regards

Quote:

jagadeesh.b
Any update after acid wash ?

Check this for some ideas, how about heating ?

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013...ylinder-heads/