Team-BHP - Autosure - The car test lab. Checking, testing & analysis of your car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Autosure - The car test lab. Checking, testing & analysis of your car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/167874-autosure-car-test-lab-checking-testing-analysis-your-car.html)

Coimbatore based ATS ELGI has launched its new venture "Autosure", in the city. The car diagnostics service is aimed at car buyers who want to know more about the health / condition of their vehicle, by means of in-depth testing. Autosure is a test lab equipped with an array of equipment for carrying out around 150 tests and the company claims every vehicle system is covered in the process.

The brand states that the testing of any car will be completed within 80 minutes. At the end of the test process, the customer gets a detailed report that explains outcomes, probable causes and suggested actions etc. The facility, set up at with an investment of around Rs. 1.5 Crore, can check up to 18 cars a day. While it can be used by existing car owners to catch any issues early, the service also aims to improve transparency in the pre-owned car business.

The company even provides a guarantee on the health of a vehicle for one year or 10,000 km (whichever is earlier). The guarantee is at an extra fee that starts at Rs. 4,000/- for small cars. If during the guarantee period, a fault develops on a particular system that was certified as 'ok' in the test report, then Autosure will rectify that fault at its expense at an authorized service centre of that car, subject to a maximum of ten times the guarantee fee.

'Autosure' will focus on the Indian market for the first 5 years and will then expand into overseas markets. The current plan is to open around 200 such outlets across the country, with the company looking to expand from Coimbatore, starting January 2016. The outlets will be a mix of company owned and franchise led outlets.

Autosure - The car test lab. Checking, testing & analysis of your car-img_9513hdredit.jpg

Autosure - The car test lab. Checking, testing & analysis of your car-img_9481hdr.jpg

Autosure - The car test lab. Checking, testing & analysis of your car-img_9521hdr.jpg

Autosure - The car test lab. Checking, testing & analysis of your car-img_9541hdredit.jpg

Autosure - The car test lab. Checking, testing & analysis of your car-1.jpg

This seems to be similar to the "1xx point checks" a company Certified Pre Owned car is subjected to here in the US, the difference being this is brand-agnostic and they dont seem to actually fix something that needs attention. An interesting offering, which can become a real value add if it catches on in the used-car market in India - " My car comes with an AutoSure 1xx point inspection report, hence the premium"

Looks like everything is done on a test bay, no test drive.
Do they have tieups with manufacturers/ dealers to check service and repair history?
This seems to be more on the lines of insurance, and a lot will depend on the attitude of the company in honouring genuine claims.

As in insurance, there will be unscrupulous clients trying to game the system. And the normal response of the company then is to deny claims as best as they can, where the genuine claimant suffers.

Regards
Sutripta

Very good service. They're clearly targeting the used market as I don't know why any owner would want to get his own car tested.

But - and this is a big BUT - it'll be hard for them to beat authorised service stations. Every used car that I've bought was put through a full checkup at the authorised dealer. They charge anywhere between Rs. 3,000 - 8,000 for it and give me full details. What's more, the authorised workshop is also able to provide the service history of the car as they have access to the manufacturer's system. Autosure wouldn't.

I've been 100% satisfied with the checkups so far. In light of that, why would I choose Autosure over an authorised dealer? A dedicated brand dealer would also know the car better than a general provider like Autosure. For instance, a Toyota dealer would understand the Corolla inside out as he's maintaining hundreds of them every month.

These guys better have a plan B to meet their operating expenses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tushar (Post 3795339)
The brand states that the testing of any car will be completed within 80 minutes.

How are they able to conduct a comprehensive analysis of the car in merely 80 minutes? My evaluations have usually taken 4 hours at the minimum. For a recent checkup, the dealer took 1.5 days (the report had mind-blowing detail). The test-drive component alone should take 30 - 40 minutes at least. Unless, of course, they're not test-driving the car, in which case I wouldn't value their report.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3796455)
...a full checkup at the authorised dealer. They charge anywhere between Rs. 3,000 - 8,000 for it and give me full details. For a recent checkup, the dealer took 1.5 days (the report had mind-blowing detail).

Slightly OT, but could you please explain a bit more how this works? Do you ask the seller of the car to drop his car off at the dealer for the test duration? Is this offered by the authorised dealer as a paid service to anyone who asks for it, or do you get it because you've got a relationship with the dealer (or due to your TBHP repute)? Also, is the recent check-up you're referring to one for your BMW or for a mass-market car? Could you share an extract of the report to show the level of detail?

The reason for these questions is just that your post is an eye-opener - I've usually just checked the service history (for any big-ticket expenses); or at most considered getting a mechanic to check the car (with the assumption that it'll be a seat-of-the-pants assessment). Your post reassures me that there's a more objective analysis possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3796455)
How are they able to conduct a comprehensive analysis of the car in merely 80 minutes? My evaluations have usually taken 4 hours at the minimum. For a recent checkup, the dealer took 1.5 days

I see this service used as a guarantee stamp by a seller who wants to sell his car in the used car market.
Such seller can go to Autosure, to get the car's preliminary inspection done, and along with that, get an Autosure guarantee of 1 year - that simply means that the used car would work without any new faults which are not already reported in the analysis for 1 year. If the new owner was cheated with a lemon, while the report says the car is healthy, then the damages would be compensated by Autosure, if I understand correctly.

Where Autosure would be most useful is, when the seller wants to sell his car through online sources on his own, or through other dealers. (As the manufactures usually quote lowest prices during an exchange at showrooms).

From the used car buyer's point of view, such reports would be helpful in just filtering out cars without batteries / engines. (:OT Believe me, one used car dealer, actually showed me a Santro zipdrive without battery, and told if I am interested, he would arrange a new battery! I did not get what else would get me interested, when I have seen the car in such poor shape.)
Once a car is selected for purchase, then it is up to the buyer to conduct necessary inspections to his satisfaction, before paying his hard earned money, isn't it? :)

Hello,
Are they still in business?
I am looking for headlamp alignment services. Any options in BLR?