Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2004, 16:22   #1
snoopy41

the CMD of bharat petroleum says that they are ready to launch SPEED 97 octane,,so that all the hi-tech machinery can automatically be reprogrammed to run a higher compression ratio,,please mail them at info@bharatpetroleum.com,,to put pressure on them,,
then we can dispense with trying to brew our own fuels

Old 24th April 2004, 22:12   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (snoopy41 @ April 24 2004,14:52)]so that all the hi-tech machinery can automatically be reprogrammed to run a higher compression ratio,,
can we , through programing change the compression ratio ?
Old 25th April 2004, 01:14   #3
Team-BHP Support

I guess what he means is that "hi-tech machinery will be able to take full advantage of the higher compression ratios they run"

I dont know if it exists.....but it theoretically is possible to alter the comperssion ratios "electronically" by just having a device in the cylinder head that can move in or out (like the way a valve moves) and can protrude into the chamber by varying degrees.....hence causing different ratios of compression

cya
R
Old 29th April 2004, 14:35   #4

Hi Guys,
It is not possible to change the compression ratio electronically - this is what I think.
It is possible though, to change it manually - by reducing the volume of the cylinder. This can be done in a lot of ways - 1) putting high compression pistons - these have a bit rounder shape at the top 2) shaving the head and 3) putting thinner head gaskets.
When the manufaturers de-tune their cars to suit indian fuel, what they do is basically alter the timing of the engine. This also can be done in many ways. If u guys want more info on this, just ask!
SG
Old 30th April 2004, 03:25   #5
BANNED

its finally here,,,,atleast all u with exotic machines out there in mumbai r lucky.....finally the accord can be unleashed to work at its fullest. how much do u htink its gonna cost though??? definitely 3 - 4 rs more tha nregular brew.
taking the fact that the petrol prices here in mlore is rs. 49.30 its gonna cost a bomb when it come out!
Old 15th May 2004, 02:51   #6
Team-BHP Support

people here have an obsession with 97 octane fuel ever since s10 got his free fuel..
correct me if i'm wrong but 94 (usually its 92 or 93) is the maximum octane number i've seen on fuel pumps in usa..
never seen 97..
wonder what supercar owners do there....
Old 15th May 2004, 05:30   #7
Team-BHP Support

Hey aah78,

This is what has been irritating me a bit in all these "high octane discussions", but due to lack of proper doccumentation on the indian fuels i havent managed to paint a perfect picture.

There are three basic ways of getting an octane rating

RON - Research Octane Number - Constant speed of 600RPM, in lab conditions.
MON - Motor Octane Number - A harsher test more like real world conditions.
AKI, AON, (R+M)/2 - Anti-Knock Index, Average Octane Number, - This is basically the average of the RON and MON.

Ok, so having understood that, its safe to say that the RON will always be higher than the MON for the same fuel.
Marketing takes advantage of this fact and states the RON number in some cases (which is what i feel is happening with Speed 97).

USA however, uses the AKI (average of the RON&MON) system for rating the octane of fuels.

This is kind of how audio companies advertise loudness in Watts PMPO (PEAK Music PEAK Output), when what is really a better guide is the RMS Wattage (Root Mean Squared).

cya
R

ps - i seem to remember when power was first launched that ACI said it had a RON of 87.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th August 2009 at 12:54. Reason: correction made

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks