Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2015, 14:26   #1
Team-BHP Support

Ford Figo - Suspension replacement query

My sister's Ford Figo is showing signs of a weak suspension. The age old comfort it offered over bad roads seems to have vanished and the car feels quite bumpy over broken roads. Add to that, while driving over speed breakers etc, the entire shocks are transferred into the cabin. Her daily commute is on good urban roads in a jam packed IT park. The weak suspension doesn't seem to have much work to do. However, it is the occasional drives over bad roads that have become bothersome.

Details:

Month of Purchase: October
Year of Purchase: 2011
Odometer reading: 71000 (+ a few hundred odd kms)

It is important to note that there is absolutely no noise from any corner of the car. The car has been maintained by the authorised dealer with all scheduled replacements adhered to.

So, my brother in law visited the local Ford authorised workshop and sought a quote from the service advisor and here's what he got:

Parts:

Ford Figo - Suspension replacement query-screen-shot-20150908-12.59.58-pm.png

Labour:

Ford Figo - Suspension replacement query-screen-shot-20150908-1.00.20-pm.png

Total:

Ford Figo - Suspension replacement query-screen-shot-20150908-1.00.36-pm.png

Do you guys think this is a well thought about quote? In my experience of car ownership I have never come across a case when the "springs" required replacement. I feel the dealer is trying to make a quick buck by carrying out unwanted part replacements.

Your opinions would be of great help to take a call on the repair.

Thanks!

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th September 2015 at 14:43.
Old 8th September 2015, 14:49   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Ford Figo - Suspension replacement query

Springs should not need replacement unless the car is sagging under no load.

You should opt only to change the 4 struts and their rubber mounts. That's all is needed
sagarpadaki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 14:53   #3
Team-BHP Support

Power steering and suspension? What's wrong with the power steering unit?

You should be replacing the shocks, bushes and any rubber mount. Springs will not need changing.

You can compare the parts with Ford over the counter dealers. Details in this thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post3797184 (Ford India to start over-the-counter sales of spare parts!)
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 15:20   #4
BHPian

In my opinion, the following parts should be replaced while doing suspension overhaul,

Front :
1. Shock Absorber/Strut
2. Strut kit ( Includes Buffer, boot, bearing)
3. Lower arm bushes ( If replaceable) or Lower Arm
4. Sway bar links
5. Steering Tie Rod
6. Lower arm ball joint
7. Steering ball joint

Rear :
1. Shock Absorber
2. Buffers, boot

After doing the above parts replacement, most of the suspension related issues should be sorted out.
Springs seldom require replacement and have to be replaced only if they are cracked or broken,which is also quite unlikely.

Remaining things in the quote need physical inspection to determine if those particular parts truly require replacement.

It is better to try and understand why the Service Adviser is suggesting the respective replacements in the first place.

Hope that helps.
Amey is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 14:08   #5
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Figo - Suspension replacement query

I agree with Amey on the needed parts for a complete suspension overhaul, the estimate seems to have lot more stuff than suspension and is confusing to go through.

Suspension first check should be to identify what is wrong, are the shocks leaking, bushes worn out etc. If the shocks are ok, then an overhaul with replacement of all the bushes itself would do wonders.

How are the tyres, if the tyres are old, that would add to all the negative feel from the suspension.
Old 17th September 2016, 11:25   #6
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo - Suspension replacement query

Bumping up an old thread.

Had a query about the Ford Figo diesel suspension. The roads in my radius of commute in Ahmedabad are really bad and this has taken a toll on the suspension.

The Figo seems a little too bouncy on bad stretches. There is no noise or any thud from the front suspension. I am thinking of replacing the bushes and the McPherson Struts only,

I have already replaced the rear gas shock absorbers and there was a huge difference after doing that. This prompted me to think of replacing the front struts too. Will that resolve the ride?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks