Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2015, 14:29   #1
BHPian

Damaged Apron - Repair vs Replacement

Since I could not find any thread where this issue has been discussed in detail, hence created the same.

Apron Issues may crop up doing to the following reasons:

a) Collision Impact
b) Normal Wear and Tear
c) Suspension gone bad

In some cases, the Apron would need to be replaced. However, in other cases, welding would suffice.

In my case, there was a slight crack on the LHS apron due to a bad suspension. This was rectified by a change in suspension, welding and painting of apron at the local garage. There was no impact on the driveability of the car.

I would appreciate inputs from other members in terms of issues faced and resolution for the same.

Last edited by GTO : 30th September 2015 at 13:13. Reason: Language
dpkbehera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 16:28   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Damaged Apron - Repair vs Replacement

Usually repair/replacement of Apron ends up in alignment issues, which is very very difficult to correct and hence tyre wear.

Even if its just a hairline crack, I would suggest to check and correct alignment after the work is done.

Last edited by GTO : 30th September 2015 at 13:14. Reason: Typo
dhanushs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 16:56   #3
Team-BHP Support

It is a tricky one alright, but atleast modern dealership workshops have proper equipment that can set the part within tolerance level. Long back had to replace the apron and the chassis bit on front for an Esteem. It was pretty straight forward, and the authorised shop used an small assembly jig to hold parts in place and welded it on, came out as good as new.

Key thing is having access to manuals where the readings can be taken at each stage of the work, then final readings including alignment would be within limits.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 17:06   #4
BHPian

My experience with the MASS is as follows i.e.
a) They will always suggest complete replacement of the apron. It seems that welding is a menial job for them. They would refer replacement rather than fix.
b)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
It is a tricky one alright, but atleast modern dealership workshops have proper equipment that can set the part within tolerance level.
Does this mean that things have improved. And Apron replacement process is finally in place without niggles and hassles.

But the kind of figures (Rs 25 - 30 k) and time (10 -15 Days) being quoted is astounding. It feels frustrating that it takes so much time and effort to do the replacement.
dpkbehera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 17:09   #5
BHPian

I too faced rusting on RHS apron on my Wagon R (2006 Type-I model).
I suspect it because of poor paint job done few years ago during denting repair.
The MASS gave a quote of appx 20K+ for replacing the apron .
Finally got welding repair done at a local garage for Rs 1500/-. Its been almost 3 years since and I have not faced any issues.
Old 29th September 2015, 17:15   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
Does this mean that things have improved. And Apron replacement process is finally in place without niggles and hassles.

But the kind of figures (Rs 25 - 30 k) and time (10 -15 Days) being quoted is astounding. It feels frustrating that it takes so much time and effort to do the replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
I suspect it because of poor paint job done few years ago during denting repair.
The MASS gave a quote of appx 20K+ for replacing the apron .
Finally got welding repair done at a local garage for Rs 1500/-. Its been almost 3 years since and I have not faced any issues.
It has always been there, but is costly method. Dealers wont go the weld way since it might not give the right results and obviously might not make financial sense to them. At best weld method is a stop gap, if you don't want to spend much.

It is an important structural part, i wouldn't want to take a chance with it.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 17:56   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Replacement of aprons can cause a huge dent in the resale value of the car as potential buyers/assessors will view the car as having suffered a dent.

Having said that it would be better to change the apron if one intends to keep the car for long.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 19:55   #8
BHPian

Had the following query i.e.
a)Is Replacement of Apron niggle free. After spending a bomb, this is the least to be expected.
b) Mentioned somewhere that apron replacement should be the last option. Other options should be explored first. Because a car with a fixed apron will have more resale value than a car with an apron replaced. Is this correct?
Old 30th September 2015, 14:43   #9
BHPian

Re: Damaged Apron - Repair vs Replacement

Sorry if this is , but what is an apron? I Googled it but couldn't find a site that explains it...
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 14:56   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Sorry if this is , but what is an apron? I Googled it but couldn't find a site that explains it...
An apron is under the hood. It is a metal frame which is welded to the body and holds the struts. You can just open the hood of your car and look for the metal frame on which the front struts are fixed. You would find that the metal frame is one big piece extending to the both sides of the car. So, the part also provides structural integrity to the car besides holding up the alignment. A damage to the structure would lead to severe alignment issues. The tolerance level is mostly very low, hence the argument of repair vs. replacement.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 15:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
What is an apron ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
It is a metal frame which is welded to the body and holds the struts.
A couple of pics from the forum :
- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/52060-my-rusted-esteem-bringing-back-shape.html
- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/50551-esteem-apron-bent.html

Is it only Maruti who calls it an "apron" ?

Last edited by GTO : 1st October 2015 at 12:31. Reason: Adding pics :)
im_srini is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 16:39   #12
BHPian

Learnt quite a bit today! Here are some pics:

From http://www.hallmarkautobody.com/repair.html
Quote:
Vehicles designed and manufactured today are more technologically advanced when compared to just a few short years ago. The use of complex crush zones, high strength composites and safety systems uniquely calibrated to the vehicle frame are now very common. As a result, most vehicles today can no longer be repaired using traditional techniques and equipment of the past. They require specific equipment and repair procedures that are often unique to that vehicle in order to return them to their proper pre-collision state.
Name:  CARUNIBODYConstructioncegunib.gif
Views: 82537
Size:  21.8 KB

Also http://www.autopi.com/frame.html
https://www.emitchell.com/help/New_P.../ceg010500.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Damaged Apron - Repair vs Replacement-unibodyframe1a.jpg  

Damaged Apron - Repair vs Replacement-mitchelframe2.jpg  

mvadg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 16:44   #13
BHPian

My Wagon R 2004 model had to go through a tinkering in the Apron due to a collision with a misaligned divider in Bangalore. Though there was not much of a visible deformation, there was considerable offset of front wheels.
I chose to go ahead with tinkering of the Apron instead of repairing it and I regret it. Even though the tyre alignment was set after the tinkering work and later on, there is always a tyre mis-alignment after a few 100kms.

Moreover there is a vagueness in steering on uneven tarmac and while taking turns at speeds >40kmph. I would suggest to go ahead with the replacement of the Apron at an authorized service centre.

Most of the Maruti authorized service centre has an equipment to ensure that the replacement is done with as good as factory results.
spanner777 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 16:53   #14
BHPian

The following checks can be done to ensure whether there are still issues with the Apron even after repair i.e.
a) Brakes are getting applied fine.
b) The vehicle is not unstable at high speed.
c) There is no issue with the suspension. The car is tackling potholes well.
d) There are no issues with the wheel alignment. Incase there is any issue, it will be reflected in abnormal wear and tear of the tyre.

Incase the car has a fixed apron, you would have to make slight changes to your driving style. The most important being handling the potholes well.
dpkbehera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 18:34   #15
BHPian

Great, thank you dpkbehera for starting this thread.
I have a 1998 zen VX, which I plan to restore. The MASS quoted a huge amount for the apron replacement and I seriously doubt their work.

I used 'restore' as the car is in kinda bad shape. A lot of under body rusting including the apron.

Hope to hear from some of the Zen owners who changed the apron.

Last edited by krichared : 30th September 2015 at 18:54.

Most Viewed