Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2015, 10:59   #16
BHPian

Re: ABS repair in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Yes, that sounds perfect in an ideal world. Sadly, the fact is it is your car, your hard-earned money, your time and the service center really has nothing to lose once your car is out of the warranty period. Period.

Anyway, since this is going off-topic, I rest my case. All the best with resolving your issue.
I do not this is really about ideal world. There are may be 90-95% people who do not belong to such auto forums and may lack the understanding of these details. Also the service center (especially of Skoda caliber) can claim to have replaced the brake oil without doing so.
For being able to only replace entire assembly rather than repairing components, I feel it is direct result of value engineering the all product companies seem to be doing by making components that are irreparable, since they lack the expertise required at regional level to repair and is also a money making venture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph View Post
How does one go about sourcing parts from chop shops. In mumbai i have heard Kurla is the best place to go. But since i have never done this before i am sure i will get fleeced before i even enter the place. Does anyone have any contacts or references there ?
Hi Jinu, You will need to go to CST road Kurla. There you would find salvaged cars. Skoda Superb might be a little struggle. But the point is to find the component you need, is in working condition. I had once got a Delco/distributor (for spark and ignition) sourced through this place. Consider taking a trusted FNG mechanic with you who may me aware of this ABS system and has sourced components from CST road Kurla.

All the best!
Old 23rd October 2015, 14:43   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How does one go about sourcing parts from chop shops. In mumbai i have heard Kurla is the best place to go. But since i have never done this before i am sure i will get fleeced before i even enter the place. Does anyone have any contacts or references there ?
Sourcing isn't our expertise, hence it's best left to an independent shop with good connections. Let a mechanic handle it for you. My Civic's ABS module was sourced & replaced by Sunil Shanbagh.

That way, there's no finger pointing in case things go wrong. Your mechanic is the one who's solely responsible for everything.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 17:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Abs modules and other such critical components are best bought from authorized dealers with guarantees and warranties. This is India, where in there is no consumer protection, so don't expect Kurla or other such scrap yards or your friendly neighborhood mechanic to take responsibility of correct part salvage and installation.
Regarding authorized service centers, unless your car is in extended bumper to bumper warranty, no dealer or manufacturer will agree to replace an aging part, also normal wear and tear parts like wipers, tyres etc are not covered in warranty. The high cost of these parts is what makes German cars super expensive to maintain, and the reason to insist on keeping warranties valid.
Old 26th October 2015, 17:25   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks

The ABS module in my Skoda superb has conked off. As per the authorized workshop JMD, the electronic component is spoilt, but since the company does not replace that alone the entire ABS unit (electronic + hydraulic) will have to be replaced. That cost is approximately Rs. 1,40,000.

In UK and US there are a lot of companies that repair ABS modules for a fee. Are there any such companies in Mumbai, India. I found one on the web. This is a UK based company that has a presence in a lot of countries including India who claim to repair ABS modules for a fee. The company is called BBA REMAN.

Has anyone used the service of this company or any other similar company in Mumbai, India.

Thanks

Watch the wheeler dealers episode Season 12 episode 17(volkswagen corrado) You will get your answer regarding abs module repair.

Good luck

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th October 2015 at 01:06. Reason: Removed irrelevant part of the post, be specific in your advise instead of going offtopic, thanks
mycarhasablower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 00:44   #20
BHPian

Well the company referred to in the episode is the same company that i am referring to in my first post. But nobody seems to have used that services here at team-bhp. I have sent them a mail asking for details on how it will work etc. Let see what they revert with.

For this company there are good reviews and equal number of bad reviews also. Please refer to this link
Old 27th October 2015, 01:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Folks

I believe the ABS failed because of negligence on the part of Skoda. As per maintenance manual the brake fluid was to be replaced after 3 years and then every 2 years. My car is 5 years old and the brake fluid was never replaced.

When i took it to WagenWorkz after the ABS failed and JMD skoda told me it has to be replaced, Jatin saw the brake fluid and the first thing he asked was has the brake fluid been changed and when i checked my service bills i realized it was not.

I highlighted this to Skoda and they took the car back in the workshop did all kinds of analysis and finally rejected the claim saying aging of the unit does not permit a free replacement. I am still following up but dont see that going that anywhere.

Now what the authorized service centre has confirmed is that there are 2 parts to the ABS unit, the hydraulic part and the Electronic control module. As per their checkup, the Hydraulic part is fine and its the Electronic control module that spoilt, but since skoda does not repair or replace just that part, the entire unit has to be changed. The part number is 3T0614517D BEF.

They have changed the ABS sensor also but to no avail. The error that comes in VCDS is

01130 - ABS Operation: Implausible Signal

Even Jatin from Wagenworkz checked it and confirmed that unit is spoilt.

Now my options are
- Repair the ABS electronic control module
- Use a second hand ABS unit
- Get it replaced by Skoda

Option 3 is out as i am not spending that kind of money for a company like Skoda.

OPtion 1 I have heard/read stories that these repair centres are scams, basically when you send your part in, they will tell you it cant be repaired and then ask you to buy a refurbished unit at a inflated price or if you dont then pay shipping charges + stocking fee for return of the spoilt unit.

Option 2 involves tinkering with the hydraulic pipelines which i am not sure how effectively a road side garage might be able to replace compared to a service centre. Further this also involves some amount of recoding in VCDS.

I am totally confused on this any help would be appreciated.
Hi,

Ross-tech Wiki has the complete explanation laid out in very clear steps and also to eliminate various parts that can fail. I would get this checked with an independent garage which is known to work on European Cars.

I have attached the screenshot. All Credits to Ross-Tech Wiki
Attached Thumbnails
ABS repair in India-abs.jpg  

Manoj2268 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 10:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi Jinu,

Manoj's post is correct and that is the correct explanation. I believe you've not done any retrofitting so will remove that possibility. So excluding that part, the following would be the action points:

Check Fuse(s)

I believe you would have done this already, but never the less, its a good idea to check all the fuses.

Check Wiring from/to Brake Electronics Control Module

Check the wiring from the ABS unit for any damages, rat bites or insulation damages. This includes the wiring from each wheel back to the ABS unit

Check Brake Electronics Control Module

Ahh... Well... the last and the worst option to think about.

I'm suggesting these steps because of the word "implausible" in the logs, which means the readings are not reliable, though not stopped giving inputs.

Last edited by nitinbose : 27th October 2015 at 10:29.
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 11:56   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hi Jinu,

Manoj's post is correct and that is the correct explanation. I believe you've not done any retrofitting so will remove that possibility. So excluding that part, the following would be the action points:

Check Fuse(s)

I believe you would have done this already, but never the less, its a good idea to check all the fuses.

Check Wiring from/to Brake Electronics Control Module

Check the wiring from the ABS unit for any damages, rat bites or insulation damages. This includes the wiring from each wheel back to the ABS unit

Check Brake Electronics Control Module

Ahh... Well... the last and the worst option to think about.

I'm suggesting these steps because of the word "implausible" in the logs, which means the readings are not reliable, though not stopped giving inputs.
- Fuses Checked by both the authorized workshop and independent garage (WagenWorkz). No problems found

- Wiring Checked by Authorized workshop and they confirm there is no problem with wiring/harness. But then i can only take their word for it.

- Brake ECM - Authorized workshop confirmed that this is at fault as per their test. Again have to take them at face value as they have not provided any report or evidence of doing anything on this.

For point 2 I need to go to an independent garage. Plan to take the car to Select Auto Garage (Sunil Shanbaug) in Dadar later this week.

For point 3 I dont think there are any independent garages experienced in doing this. Found a company called BBA Reman who are (in)famous in UK and US and surprisingly have a presence in India (Calcutta). have written to them and awaiting their feedback.

But at the end if it turns out to be a problem with point 3 then might go in for a second hand replacement. I was considering getting the second hand part imported from UK but there is a difference in model number so not sure if they will be compatible.
Old 27th October 2015, 13:08   #24
Team-BHP Support

This is a famous problem with the Teves ABS module. The brake sensor component has blown.

There is a company called ecutesting.co.uk who sort this out.

http://www.ecutesting.com/seat_toled...skoda_oct.html

http://www.ecutesting.com/catalogue/...4047&model=532

Last edited by ajmat : 27th October 2015 at 13:09.
Old 27th October 2015, 13:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
-
For point 2 I need to go to an independent garage. Plan to take the car to Select Auto Garage (Sunil Shanbaug) in Dadar later this week.

For point 3 I dont think there are any independent garages experienced in doing this. Found a company called BBA Reman who are (in)famous in UK and US and surprisingly have a presence in India (Calcutta). have written to them and awaiting their feedback.

But at the end if it turns out to be a problem with point 3 then might go in for a second hand replacement. I was considering getting the second hand part imported from UK but there is a difference in model number so not sure if they will be compatible.
All the best Jinu, I really hope it does not turn out to be an expensive proposition in the end.
Old 27th October 2015, 13:22   #26
Team-BHP Support

Sorry, I missed this

Quote:
01130 - ABS Operation: Implausible Signal
This means that your wiring connections are dodgy and not giving proper consistent signals
Old 27th October 2015, 16:37   #27
BHPian

Well good news guys, just got a call from Skoda Service center JMD. They have been asked by the SKODA to call back my car and get the ABS fixed at no cost.

Phew what a relief. Set up an appointment for Wednesday next.
jinu_joseph is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 23:36   #28
BHPian

Quote:
...They have been asked by the SKODA to call back my car and get the ABS fixed at no cost.
Oh .. congrats!
And good to hear a positive reaction from Skoda management.
Did you write to Skoda yourself, or was it your service center/dealer who coordinated on your behalf?
Old 28th October 2015, 00:20   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well good news guys, just got a call from Skoda Service center JMD. They have been asked by the SKODA to call back my car and get the ABS fixed at no cost.

That is a good move by Skoda. However, you would do well to still find out exactly which component failed and why. - that sort of "tribal knowledge" makes a difference, while owning delicate European cars.
Old 24th November 2015, 08:20   #30
BHPian

Quote:

Phew what a relief. Set up an appointment for Wednesday next.
Good move by Skoda.

I have a similar problem on my Scorpio. The ABS module has gone kaput. Have written to Mahindra.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks