Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2006, 18:24   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micraft
i have the same problem in my swift vxi, 5 moths old and it has done only 2500kms. With the head light off, it show correct, trip 1, trip 2 and then odo, with the head light on it shows trip 1, trip2, 000, and then odo.
This 000 display when the headlights or running lights are on is the instrument panel backlight brightness indicator (default 000). Press and hold the trip button at this display to cycle between the four brightness levels (0000 maximum - 0 minimum).

This is normal and should have been mentioned in the Owner's Manual, but curiously is not.

Re gear whine, all I hear in my Swift (6800 km) is road noise, in any gear. There was some very slight whine for the first 2k or so km, but not anymore.
Old 15th October 2006, 04:45   #32
BHPian

you're very lucky to hear only road noise in your Swift. I get a lot of rattles coming from the rear left door. Not noticed any whine in 5th, but driving around in Mumbai I rarely get a chance to engage 5th very often. Will check it out next time I hit an open road.

Other issues I'd like to post here, just in case others may have experienced them or have solutions:

1. Interesting smell (not quite a burning smell but similar) when the car is revved hard (above 3K to 4K)

2. Today for the first time I noticed the car doing this strange vibrating/jerking thing while idling. Almost like I was driving down a bumpy road, except that the car was perfectly still. Also got some slight sluggishness at the same time. I'm hoping its just a bad tank of fuel.
Old 16th October 2006, 17:08   #33
Senior - BHPian

@pillainp - thanks for that very nice tip about illumination adjustment.
@theEnd - burning smell, I also have - no idea what it is - when I went for a test drive with mechanic, it mysteriously did not smell...!
Old 16th October 2006, 17:21   #34
BANNED

Two steps to stop whining in Swift in overdrive:

1. Before shifting to overdrive, stop the car.
2. Throw wife out of the car.

Whining issue solved
Old 16th October 2006, 17:35   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva

Whining issue solved
Boom - really poor idea. I for sure do not want to attend cooking classes or learn up on third grade for the kids all over again.
Old 16th October 2006, 18:31   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshiva
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva

Whining issue solved
1. Tried stoppimg car. Stuck with busted butt.
2. Tried, now stuck with mother-in-law, please advise!!!
Old 16th October 2006, 19:38   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hi theEnd,

I own swift vxi march 2006, 10.6 k clocked now, recently done with 3rd free service with engine, gearbox oil change, When this car had cloked around 4000KM after 2nd service I noticed strange vibrating/jerking thing while idling, when I reported this to dealer they said 50% its because of bad fuel filling and 50% problem with the car, indian cars especially MUL cars are supposed to manage bad fuel but I do understand bad fuel will kill the car in long, but I filled only 2 times different petrol bunk when i am outside and all other times only 1 petrol bunk nearby where I stay in Bangalore.

About solution first 2 times when I visited dealership they cleaned spark plugs, few stuffs under bonnet and I used speed , shell only premium petrols but problems still exists, when I requested them again Mandovi in vijayanagar rectified my issue within a day, they said car had more than one issues and they have sorted out all issues from there car is really good. this strange vibrating/jerking thing while idling started when car had clocked 4K and problem rectified by service station when car had clocked 8K.

2.6K after problem is rectified is only the drive I liked in swift

I hope this continues to be trouble free here onwards and now I am done with 3rd free service and rt now i can notice enginer noise but more since new oil may be one I travel 100+ km everything will settle and things will be cool.

I hope this helps "theEnd" please try with premium petrol for at least 2 or 3 times, If strange vibrating/jerking thing while idling still exists then visit the service station immediately.

MUL guy told me to use premium petrol always for swift to get good pickup, for smooth drive.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 17th October 2006, 01:55   #38
BHPian

Thanks for the tips Ravi. I've always used only Premium/Speed for my car. In fact from now on I'll only be using IndianOil Xtra Premium 91 octane. (Hadn't realized that Speed had the same octane rating as regular petrol)

I quickly finished off whatever fuel was in there and refuelled with a full tank of good fuel from a decent pump. Problem gone.

I'm still a bit concerned with the burning smell. I like to drive my car enthusiastically but I'll slow down if I find out I'm burning out the clutch or some engine part.
Old 17th September 2009, 16:18   #39
BHPian

My swift has same issue. The problem was identified as belt noise which drives alternator. Get it checked.
Old 17th September 2009, 19:17   #40
Senior - BHPian

MASS, simply is not bothered to resolve these and any rattling issues. They only want to do engine 'waxing' fuel savers, additives, injector cleaning and what not. If you do not opt for these, they simply do chewing gum jobs and give various excuses. This MASS is at least better then the previous one, which changed genuine parts (like skoda).

My whining issue, burning smell issue (they say it is because AC vent has slight opening by design!!! - idiots) and other rattles are simply not being resolved. My extended warranty is getting over by end of this year. If they do not, I will not sign off on the service sheet and try and take it up with Maruti RO.

That is why I opted for Hyundai this time, at least they try and resolve issues. So far I am happy with their service.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 17th September 2009 at 19:18.
Old 18th September 2009, 10:22   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Swift petrols generally have a 5th gear whine - all Swifts I've driven, including my own, have this. Nothing to worry about.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks