Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2006, 13:03   #1
BHPian

Swift = Whining in Overdrive

I have a Swift VXi that's done 11.7K kms. There's a distinct hum in 5th gear, just below 2K rpm. This does not happen in other gears. I'm pretty sure I'm not shifting early, I shift into 5th well above 50kmph. The Maruti guys say this is normal; do other Swift owners hear this too? Thanks.
Old 12th September 2006, 13:45   #2
BHPian

Hello,

I also own a SWIFT-VXI which has clocked 6000 kms.in 10 months.I also hear this noise in 5th gear.Maruti people (dealer) had given me same reply.But let me tell you something,this hum was not there previously.It sarted only after 2nd free servicing.After reporting this problem many times,I was told that it is normal (they did not believed me on first hand).
Old 12th September 2006, 14:43   #3
BHPian

oh.....i thought i was the only one......yes my swift have it too ..when iam in 5th gear....below 2.5 rpm.....and Yes it came in existence ...after 3 service....to which maruti engineer replied ...its the Gear mesh---and its normal..................i get this hum .....in my 7 year old Zen from last 3 years ...but its ok with zen....its an old car......but why the hell in a 10 months old Swift
Old 12th September 2006, 15:00   #4
BHPian

Hi Speedo,

I think we should report this to MUL directly instead of dealers.I hope that company will look into the problems,as SWIFT is the best selling product of MUL as on date.

What do you think friends?
Old 12th September 2006, 15:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

I suspect there is a design issue here. Under no normal condition, should any part of the vehichle make noise. Is there any other car make with same/similar issue?
Old 12th September 2006, 16:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee
I suspect there is a design issue here. Under no normal condition, should any part of the vehichle make noise. Is there any other car make with same/similar issue?
its not that bothering ...........but still ......also......with AC on & car at still.....my car ......alternates between dhummmmm .....dhannnn......sound as in when AC load engages.....and Disengages......

lets take this up ....maruti......
Old 12th September 2006, 17:26   #7
BHPian

It wouldnt be so disconcerting if the car wasnt so damn quiet in the other gears. The noise is like what an engine would make when the oil is fully drained. It wasnt this bad until the 3rd service, where I guess they did some tuning. I would ignore if this is harmless.

Last edited by ballkey : 12th September 2006 at 17:30.
Old 12th September 2006, 17:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well, it is so comforting to find out that I am not the only one with this problem. My vehicle has only done 4000 odd kms and i have this sound too. I didnt run the engine too hard during the first 1000 kms as per the manual. But after the first service i went on vacation to pondicherry. this is when i noticed this sound too. Spoke to dealer, he says gears are new and need to mesh which is such a load of bulls***.
Old 12th September 2006, 17:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

I dont have any such issues. Mine done 18k kms
Old 12th September 2006, 17:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

I didn't notice humm.. sounds in any gear including 5th.

But my swift VXI had loud engine noise even when its idle (tried with all windows closed, no music playing, a/c off... as well) and used to feel jerks/vibrations, I noticed this right after 2nd service. When I reported immediatley they agreed but first thing they suspected on petrol quality, but I use single petrol bunk for over 3 years in Bangalore and while travelling outside same 2 bunks since I travel by same higways.. which are good as well. I tried shell premium which imrpoved pickup slightly but jerk and loud engine noise still there. Then I waited for 2 months and realized neither MUL nor dealer will rectify. I issued them notice by email and by registered post, within a week they asked me to bring the vehicle to nearest service centre which is mandovi @vijayangar and my problem is solved. Now If I close the windows and keep the engine on, I hardly hear any sound and no jerk no vibrations, I am happy now at last. After taking the car from mandovi one thing I noticed in trip meter, it shows Trip A and Trip B and 000 and then shows total kilometer clocked which is nearely 9000KM. I didn't understand what is "000" ... In other words it shows 4 readings: Trip A, Trip B, 000, 8830, very funny for sure... for the car of the year 2006.

I feel someone bribed judges to make swift car of the year!!!

So I still have a fear factor when problem will be back again. I hate to see any minor issues with my vehicle because I am here to teach a lesson to MUL and its dealers for their lying words in the past. My vehicle has clocked 9000KM.

Soon my swift will be due for 3rd service, I will make a report with my experience.

Bottomline is "Swift does not deserve Car of the year!!" because of its one or other on going issues.

Ravi.
Old 12th September 2006, 18:04   #11
BHPian

ravibhat: I understand you have a defective car,but let's not make this into a huge 'Swift su3ks' thread ..

The problem i've mentioned requires attention, no doubt. But that does not take away the numerous positive experiences in the car,for me and lots of others.
Old 13th September 2006, 11:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

My Swift always had this noise, from day 1. Just at/above 50kmph in 5th. In fact 4th is so silent and when you shift into 5th at 50, the whining noise is very apparent. So far it seems to be a problem with almost all swifts. The dealer explained that it is timing belt resonance noise due to load imposed on engine in 5th at 50kmph (tall gearing) and nothing to do with gearbox or clutch. Have complained to Maruti - no effect / response.

If anybody feels otherwise or has any solution to this problem, please enlighten us.
Old 17th September 2006, 14:42   #13
BHPian

If anyone cares, the MSM(maruti service masters) guys told me that this noise can be arrested - its due to some extra play in the 5th gear. They need a full day for fixing this - I'm going next weekend. Let you guys know next week.
Old 17th September 2006, 15:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey
If anyone cares, the MSM(maruti service masters) guys told me that this noise can be arrested - its due to some extra play in the 5th gear. They need a full day for fixing this - I'm going next weekend. Let you guys know next week.
Wouldn't this involve opening up of the gearbox. Is it a desirable thing to get the gearbox opened on a new car? Would it have the same factory "fit and feel" after being repaired by the dealer?
Old 18th September 2006, 06:12   #15
BHPian

Technologist: It's not a new car, its already done around 12k Okay, its relatively new. However, the noise is annoying, it kills the overall refinement. I wouldnt want to drive around with it, if it can be fixed. And asking for a new gearbox will be too extreme, IMO. It might still happen with a new gearbox. MSM is supposed to be Maruti's own workshop; I'm hoping these guys do a good job of it.

Most Viewed