Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2015, 06:42   #1
BHPian

Volvo XC60 - Engine Seized!

Dear BHPians,

I've owned my 2012 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD, well, since 2012.

Bought New from the Pune Dealer, it has now run around 57k KMs.

A few months ago, sometime in September, my driver (the only person that drives it, other than the rare occasion my mother drives it herself) was returning home after dropping my mother off somewhere, when, suddenly, after stopping at the traffic light, the car died and wouldn't start. It was towed to the side, and my driver called the Volvo Dealer.

The car was taken to the dealership on a flatbed, and they said they would find out what happened, at let us know accordingly. No news for a few days, and after repeated attempts to contact them, they finally responded, saying they still have no clue.

A couple of weeks later, they ask us to come visit, so my driver and I go to their showroom. They told us that water got into the engine, and showed us a soaked air filter (with no proof that that very filter came from our car). Then they told us about the main problem, a knocking sound coming from the engine when it is on. They turned on the engine, and kept revving it, to show us the knocking sound. I couldn't hear much due to some background noise, so they go to turn it off, while leaving the engine on. A few minutes later they return, and I can hear the noise, and by now I was thinking that them keeping the engine on and revving it, could have only made it worse.

Then when we ask about the water, and how it got into the engine, they start accusing us of driving through deep water. The interesting thing though, is, the air filter is located quite high off the ground, so they were trying to say we drove through 1 Meter of water, which was false. I tell the service advisor that we didn't drive through any water, other than the normal puddles we see. Other than that, it wasn't raining heavily, and has been a dry-ish week. Before somebody brings it up I'd just mention that our driver would not lie to us, especially about such a serious issue, as he has been working for us for a very long time, and is not that type of person. The service advisor, however, insisted that he is not telling me the truth.

Next, they said, they don't know what exactly the rattling is, and that they'd have to open the engine to find out. They ask for permission and we give them the go ahead. Nothing for a few days, and then I had to fly back to the UK to continue my studies. I tell my parents to keep me informed.

Nothing for a month, and finally we get an update. They say we need to buy a new engine, and quote us 11 Lac. The car was put on a flatbed and sent to our house.

It's just standing in our parking now, and before we get it fixed I wanted to post it here on Team BHP to get some feedback. I'd also like to mention that in the past 3 Years, we've had problems like this before, in which the car had died, but the past few times it was due to the battery being dead, reason being the belt that charges the battery snapped. 2 Times.

The first time it happened, we got it fixed, thinking it must've been normal wear and tear, but, the replacement belt we got snapped within 1 Week. They gave us a new one, and that seems to be working fine now.

Coming back to the engine seizure, does anyone have any comments? What should I do? How can we confirm water actually got into the engine, if we did nothing that could have let it get in?

What about 11 Lac for a new engine, is that the correct price? Can I get one any cheaper? Is there any other place to get it fixed?

Shouldn't it be covered by insurance?

I must mention, it's just after my warranty expired, that this happened. I will also mention that the car they sold us in September 2012 actually turned out to be a 2011 Manufactured Car, and that my car is missing a few features, such as a reverse camera, and adjustable suspension, that I thought was standard in the top model XC60, although I may have missed the point where he might've told us it's optional, and then I just forgot to pick it when spec'ing the car.

Anyway, I'm digressing here, so I'll just finish off by saying I'd like to fix the car, sell it, and get something else!

Last edited by GTO : 9th November 2015 at 15:07. Reason: Removing excessive spacing
sanojrawap is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 07:08   #2
BHPian

re: Volvo XC60 - Engine Seized!

It looks like the Chinese ethos is seeping into the Volvo service. I suggest you first check with an independent garage about the functioning of the oil pump and then check the integrity of the timing belt. If the engine had failed catastrophically then it would not have started without major intervention. I smell a Chinese rat inside the engine since it is Chinese company for some years now.

Get back after you check the oil pressures and timing belt or chain. If these are in good condition then I suggest to keep of this dealer for future purchases.
drpullockaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 07:19   #3
Team-BHP Support

Are your earlier grievances on paper? Did you contact Volvo India about this?

Please try to contact Volvo and see as to what they say. Can they establish that water entered your engine, but then the car stayed for so long there, that one can't rule out foul play.

If you have comprehensive insurance, then you may try speaking with your insurance provider. Try speaking with an independent, competent garage which deals in these high-end cars, either in Pune or Bombay. Show them the car and have an opinion.

OT: People wonder as to who will pay 1.5cr for a Toyota LC, hell, I will if I had to spend that much on a SUV. Too many horror stories with these Germans and now Volvo.
Sheel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 07:41   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'll just finish off by saying I'd like to fix the car, sell it, and get something else
Sad to go through your post , you should not have left car un-attended for so long without any firm reasons , no mechanic will be foolish to run engine in case of slightest of doubts on water ingress . Do you have any E-Mails with service centre asking for updates about your Car while it was sitting for repairs ?

Your best option will be to involve Volvo if not already done and ask them to support , in all likelihood they should offer you something better perhaps 50 % rebate . I will not suggest you to get into repairs yourself , if Volvo does not support - find someone who can pick the car in this condition - don't spend 11 lac + more on this .

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th November 2015 at 07:43.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 07:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is just a blatant attempt at extorting money.
Looks like the service centre is unable to diagnose the problem and has hence blamed it on water ingress. If there was water ingress, no mechanic worth his salt will start the engine as it will cause further damage.
Asking the customer to buy a new engine will not only get them more money but also much easier than to repair the problem.

Take it up with Volvo India and also show it a competent independent garage.
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 09:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
OT: People wonder as to who will pay 1.5cr for a Toyota LC, hell, I will if I had to spend that much on a SUV. Too many horror stories with these Germans and now Volvo.
OT: Same feeling in my thoughts too. Even though I work closely with the European OEMs, when it comes to own one for me, I put the money on the Japs. I don't fancy too much electronics anyways, it should be there-but it should be for the real needs, and not overdone.
laluks is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 09:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

No one in their right mind will run and rev the engine when they suspect water ingress in the airfilter and engine. The service station by doing that look like people who have set up in their mind to make you pay for the engine

Please e-mail Volvo and take them to consumer court also if need be.
humyum is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 10:00   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 to Humyun's points. If the engine had seized ...

If the car had run in 1 m of water, will there be ingress into the cabin ?
If yes, then the carpets should have also shown the signs of water.

Ask them to give their diagnosis in writing first. That way they wouldnt be able to change their stance later. After you get it in writing, start your attempts to disprove them.
condor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 10:11   #9
KMT
BHPian

A person I know got caught in a flash flood in Kerala ( around 1.5m of water), the car was water damaged and after 6 odd months, the insurance company wrote it off.

The car was an XC 90.

Perhaps you need to check the insurance angle too.
Old 8th November 2015, 10:40   #10
Team-BHP Support

If the car had water in the engine, it would damage the pistons/ piston rods. If the engine is running still, it might be something else
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 15:14   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volvo XC60 - Engine Seized!

Viiraaj Volvo? I haven't heard too many good things about them. Am not surprised at the incompetence.

Would suggest you have it flat-bedded down to the Mumbai dealer for an accurate diagnosis. Viiraaj don't know what they are talking about.

At the same time, bring Volvo (the company) into the loop. Since your car is only just out of warranty and it's merely 3 years old, they'll hopefully cover manufacturing defects under goodwill warranty.

But first, what you need is the right diagnosis.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 16:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanojrawap View Post
Dear BHPians,

sometime in September, my driver was returning home ...when, suddenly, after stopping at the traffic light, the car died and wouldn't start. It was towed to the side, and my driver called the Volvo Dealer.

The car was taken to the dealership on a flatbed... No news for a few days..

A couple of weeks later, they ask us to come visit, .., and showed us a soaked air filter (with no proof that that very filter came from our car). .
How on earth was the Airfilter still soaking wet after almost 3 weeks? Is this possible?
nijelj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 16:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Well if the Engine is seized I doubt it would run at all! Now that you mentioned they did run the engine after being taken to service centre, I doubt if the Engine is seized. If it has, the service centre guys has messed up something
Couple of Points i am not clear about:
1.You said car did not start. After taking to service centre how did they manage to start? Did they repair something?
2.The Air filter was soaking and it was shown to you. Did they run engine without air filter?
3. When give to service centre, did they open a Job card? If yes how did they close the job card without getting issue fixed? And what did they mention in the job card.

The insurance should cover this. But before that get it checked with another Volvo dealer.
Old 9th November 2015, 16:53   #14
BHPian

That is sad and what's more annoying that companies like Volvo which are on a premium side, are not able to diagnose the right problem or may be fooling around.

I can share a similar instance which happened with me about 14 years back, when I just started to drive on my own. One day it was raining heavy in Delhi and I had my uncle's corolla (approximately 1990 model - imported) parked at my house and I had to rush somewhere, I took his car and started driving. On my way there was some water logging say about 1 to 1.5 feet. Even though the water level was not that high, still I was a newbie and didn't knew how to drive in water logging, I didn't used accelerator and the exhaust pipe was down in water, obviously water entered the engine through exhaust and my car stopped right in middle of the water pond. Further to my stupidity, I tried starting the car again and again, as I got extremely scared that my uncle and father will scold me badly.

Cutting long story short, my father took car to his trustworthy local mechanic and he found that the water has entered the engine bay and piston, crank shaft, oil and fuel filters have been damaged badly, plus the electric system has fused. Since it was a imported corolla, they got the parts after so much hassle from a import dealer and finally after 3 months the car was back on roads.

So, in this case I know that what exactly has happened, however in your case you are sure that its not your fault. I would suggest that don't take it lightly with the company. Also do explore the insurance angle.

Good Luck.
Ashdel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 17:28   #15
BHPian

I suggest you escalate the matter and take it up with Volvo India.
In my experience so far with Volvo Kochi, Hyderabad and Coimbatore I have found the service center people to be reasonably good. Probably part of your issues rise from the service center that you dealt with as GTO suggests.

I have had an instrument cluster failure in my S60 and after a few email exchanges with Volvo India they replaced it for free even though the car was well out of warranty period.

Last edited by jfxavier : 9th November 2015 at 17:31.
jfxavier is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks