Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2006, 14:09   #1
BHPian

Maruti Alto website says alto has Collapsible steering column... What does this mean.

Does it mean that I can move the steering up and down?

Please let me know the function of this aspect...
Old 13th September 2006, 11:11   #2
BHPian

Collapsible steering column means the steering would collapse on a heavy crash, thus saving the driver from being crushed by it.
Most of the cars claim to have it. But unless one crash-test them, we cannot be really sure on how much impact the "collapse" would occure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinz
Does it mean that I can move the steering up and down?
Nope
Old 13th September 2006, 17:42   #3
BHPian

Collapseable steering

Hi Dsinz,

A collapseable steering is supposed to be made of multiple linkages. The steering assembly normally has a worm gear which turns the wheels when the steering wheel is turned. In older cars, the steering wheel rod, was a straight rod till the worm gear. This meant that in event of head on collision, the steering rod will be stiff and could damage your ribs badly.

In the case of newer steering assemblies, the steering column (rod) has multiple linkages, which means that it will not stay like a rod in event of a collision but will turn to become in a Z or N like formation. This would ensure that the steering column does not come into the ribs in event of hard collision.

The steering going up and down is called tiltable steering column. In that case the steering wheel can be moved up and down as per requirement.

As mentioned by WhiteKnight, God alone knows whether its really there, but what you can do is try and open the bonnet and see if you can find the steering column rod. If its a straight rod, I remember the premier Padmini, it was a straight rod kind of thing, then the manufacturer has made a fool of us, if it has linkages or joints, then probably its a collapseable one!!

Hope this helps.

Most Viewed