Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2004, 11:53   #1
BHPian

Is LPG Better?

hey i hav an lpg run zen. its very pocket frendly . it is RTO approved. litre costs 19.82 where as petrol 38.+. it returns me 9 kms on lpg and 10 on petrol... the pickup is less wen LPG and needs 1 km drive to get the idleing right. there r quite few filling stations for LPG. as of now iam happy with it......... no hassels with it.. i have run abt 10000kms upto nw on LPG. went for a long drive of 700kms on it........ ofcourse LPG was over at 500kms then switched to petrol, but to me expect the pickup everything is ok. i could mannage 125kmps top speed..... i would like to know is there any longterm effects???? r there anyone running on LPG. did u face any problems???
Old 2nd June 2004, 13:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

the combustion temp for LPG is higher than gasoline, so if the engine is not designed to take these temp some damage will be caused in the loooong run.. usually the old engines that have run above 70k kms tend to get into trouble after conversion to LPG.. common probs seen in these engines are valves wearing off and water seal bursting..not scaring you or anything to new engines it wont cause a big prob i guess in the short term..

again its a very debatable topic, of course the instalation matters alot.. obviously the fuel bill and better pollution control are always an advantage..
Old 2nd June 2004, 15:00   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Jaggu @ June 02 2004,12:06)]the combustion temp for LPG is higher than gasoline, so if the engine is not designed to take these temp some damage will be caused in the loooong run.. usually the old engines that have run above 70k kms tend to get into trouble after conversion to LPG.. common probs seen in these engines are valves wearing off and water seal bursting..not scaring you or anything to new engines it wont cause a big prob i guess in the short term..

again its a very debatable topic, of course the instalation matters alot.. obviously the fuel bill and better pollution control are always an advantage..
Very True, we have got a 2 Maruti Vans at factory running at LPG. Though it never gave the problem except of regular service after every 6 months worth of Rs 300-400 as These vans are always busy in delivering stuffs.

Being a 3 cylinder car it do deliver a very good average some where around 300-325 km for 14 kg of lpg.

However we dont care of it`s future as we are using those cars from 1990,
Old 10th June 2004, 17:38   #4
BHPian

Forget about the economy and the trouble caused to the engine, one of the biggest hazards of converting ur vehicle to run on LPG is that you are carrying a potential bomb ( in the form of an LPG cylinder) with you.

So unfortunately if someone bangs into you or you ram into somebody, there is always the risk of a big BOOM !!!

~A
Old 10th June 2004, 18:26   #5
Team-BHP Support

yup LPG is heavir so if it leaks it wont evaporate rather collect on the floor and can explode compared to CNG which is lighter and evaporates..

had couple of reports in paper, dont know if they were due to bad installations, yeah accidents they are potentially more dangerous and keep your insurance aware of this or you might not get any claims approved
Old 24th February 2005, 17:54   #6
BHPian

my car is a bit more then 1yr after converting it into lpg. it has done 19000kms after converting. i did not find any problem with the engine. i regularly give it for service(5000kms) and change the air filter every serviceing. I find the coolent level goes down a bit fast then the normal. i top up once in between servicing. engine idling needs to be changed now n then every 2000 kms as the carbon deposits increase in the kit. these days iam used to adjusting it n doesnt go to mech. every 10000kms i go to lpg mech for cleaning the kit. its carring me 10km for 1 liter lpg n 11 kms on petrol all with AC on. it even returned 15kmpl on lpg wen i went on long trips.
i feel its a nice step converting into lpg. i have nearly saved more then 35000 rs on fule bills.
Old 24th February 2005, 18:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityapd
Forget about the economy and the trouble caused to the engine, one of the biggest hazards of converting ur vehicle to run on LPG is that you are carrying a potential bomb ( in the form of an LPG cylinder) with you.
So unfortunately if someone bangs into you or you ram into somebody, there is always the risk of a big BOOM !!!
Do you think Petrol or Diesel is less hazardous then? If not LPG, we are carrying Petrol/Diesel tankful. There have been so many instances of cars catching fire and exploding. Can't say much about CNG.
Old 26th February 2005, 07:01   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityapd

~A
This is one of the most fmaous misconceptions about LPG. LPG is stored at a lesser pressure than CNG. The cylinders are approved to certain safety standards. The cylinders are safer than you'd think. I own a 1997 Uno (999cc) running perfectly on LPG. It gives a little dop in performance, a kpl or two drop in mileage but the engine is safer! LPG is not as adulterated as your regular petrol. And that includes Speed/Power etc. The car runs much smoother on LPG. And did I mention it costs half as much to run ? And it's not the same cylinder which you have at home. It's a smaller cylinder with more capacity (23/25/30 litres).

Anyways for more info get in touch.
Old 26th February 2005, 17:27   #9
BANNED

where....

I know this is a bit off topic but is LPG easily available everywhere or only in Bombay ,

coz im driving down to goa with a few friends on the 9th of march and the other car has LPG so will it be available on the way

i need your help on this guys
Old 4th May 2005, 15:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well the Autogas Cylinder is made up of 1/4 inch thick steel and is crash tested. So if the pessengers survive the accident , the tank definately will
Old 4th May 2005, 16:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
Well the Autogas Cylinder is made up of 1/4 inch thick steel and is crash tested. So if the pessengers survive the accident , the tank definately will
Sir what are you a LPG CONVERSIONIST or a guy who want to change the world we liv in with LPG Just curious by your posts
Old 4th May 2005, 16:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Is this discussion something inline with this topic

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...6&page=3&pp=15
Old 4th May 2005, 16:37   #13
BHPian

Yes it is in line with that topic but since when did you become a moderator SURPRISE CONGRATS !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks