Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2015, 10:25   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto - Diesel engine stalled on the highway

Hi , is there any update regarding the cost/parts/ work progress ?
Old 4th December 2015, 11:39   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
Hi , is there any update regarding the cost/parts/ work progress ?
Sorry guys.

It's been a real crazy two weeks for me. Shuttling for spares and office work at the same time.And I had very little time to update on the forum. Well the good news is the work is almost complete. Barring for a Main Shaft Pulley (Linea Part No : 55182506) there was no problem finding other parts. I'm expecting the main shaft pulley over the weekend or early next week. Till then I plan to run my car with the stock.

After the complete assembly, the vehicle was kept on idling for a good ~6 hours on Wednesday. I got a chance to take a test spin yesterday evening. The engine is back to its refined state with all the necessary fluids freshly replenished. I have been advised with the following things for the next 1000kms
  1. not to go beyond 60kmph and 3000rpm
  2. not to overload the engine with A.C.
  3. avoid driving through waterlogged roads

God knows how am I gonna do that with rain gods blessing Bangalore nowadays. Any advise on how to defog without using AC(defogger)?
Frankly because in Punto I just can't reach the windshield to wipe off the mist on the move. I can only think of either to stop-wipe-go-repeat or not to use my car in the rain at all for the next 1000-1500kms.

Some information of workshop charges:
  1. Lathe charges : 6800
  2. Cylinder Head overhaul and valve LA/setting : 3200
  3. Engine overhaul : 15000
  4. Suspension chassis refitting : 1200
  5. Washing : 500

Oh, not to mention the overall damage came to nearly 80,000 INR
including the parts,labour and taxes (Service tax, VAT and latest Swachha Bharat Cess). The taxes contributing nearly 10,000 INR to the bill.

Some shots of MJD Engine assembly and bill of material attached for reference.

Though it was rather an expensive affair(not to forget a lesson for lifetime) it was definitely an enriching/enlightening experience to get to see a first hand experience with FIAT MJD in general. I can proudly say that I now know a lot about my car than previously. Strangely, inspite of all of series of unfortunate events I have started to love my car even more.I hope not to make this mistake ever again and so hereby

"I vow to take my MJD, to be my constant friend, my faithful partner and my love from this day forward. In the presence of God, our T-BHP family and friends, I offer you my solemn vow to be your faithful partner in sickness and in health, in good times and in bad, and in joy as well as in sorrow. I promise to love you unconditionally, to honor and respect you, to laugh with you and cry with you, and to cherish you for as long as we both shall live"
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto - Diesel engine stalled on the highway-wp_20151128_15_59_32_pro.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto - Diesel engine stalled on the highway-wp_20151128_16_02_10_pro.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto - Diesel engine stalled on the highway-wp_20151128_16_03_04_pro.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto - Diesel engine stalled on the highway-01.png  

Fiat Grande Punto - Diesel engine stalled on the highway-02.png  

srivatsahg is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 13:12   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivatsahg View Post
Any advise on how to defog without using AC?
Don't worry about using the air conditioner occasionally. It will not cause harm.

3000rpm is a huge range and should allow speeds up to 100kmph. This won't stress the engine. More than speed, what you need to be careful about is straining the engine by means of incorrect gear selection. Don't try to pull away by burrying the throttle in high gear. Drop a cog and proceed.

It is good to hear that your car is back on the road.
Old 6th December 2015, 19:58   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Possible reason could have been
  1. excessive heat (if the oil did not provide sufficient cooling)
  2. Dirt or debris in the oil which might have scratched the bearings and inturn scraping engine parts they were in contact with.

From all the discussion going on here, I still couldn't figure out what the root cause was. From the dipstick pic, it did seem like the engine oil was overfilled.

Did the mechanic say anything about overfilled engine oil?
Old 7th December 2015, 11:38   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
From all the discussion going on here, I still couldn't figure out what the root cause was. From the dipstick pic, it did seem like the engine oil was overfilled.
Did the mechanic say anything about overfilled engine oil?
According to the mechanic that could have been one of the reason as it had an excess of 0.5l (~4L). The other was the connecting rod was completely worn out (no idea why that happened).
Old 9th December 2015, 13:25   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

"I vow to take my MJD, to be my constant friend, my faithful partner and my love from this day forward. In the presence of God, our T-BHP family and friends, I offer you my solemn vow to be your faithful partner in sickness and in health, in good times and in bad, and in joy as well as in sorrow. I promise to love you unconditionally, to honor and respect you, to laugh with you and cry with you, and to cherish you for as long as we both shall live"
Great to hear that the car is back to good health , best wishes for mores kms to come , also do post the workshop review / recommendation in TBHP directory fo r the benefit of other members.
Old 9th December 2015, 17:09   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
According to the mechanic that could have been one of the reason as it had an excess of 0.5l (~4L). The other was the connecting rod was completely worn out (no idea why that happened).
Glad to note all ended well and most important of all the car is back on the road.Just keep a note on the oil level during running in as well as on the engine temperature and keep the revs below 2k and the car is good as new.Also would suggest to get the oil and the oil filter changed after the running in.
rakesh_r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 20:59   #83

Figo car stalled

Dear all, I own a Figo TDCi Titanium model, which has run approximately 26000 kms. Today while I took the car from office, I noticed high vibration while raising from 1st gear, especially in signals and cut-to-cut traffic. After driving for ~15 kms the car stopped moving from a signal. After raising for considerable time, it slowly moved and then onwards the car was not going beyond 20 that too with high vibration and jerks. And the rpm was randomly raising up, hence I even tried in 2nd and 3rd gear, still the car was no going beyond 20. The AC is working fine, so are all other accessories. The engine sound is also normal. Plus no warning is shown in the instrument cluster.

Has anyone had similar experience with Figo? I suspect this as either clutch not disengaging (the vehicle gives a feeling as though it is in neutral). I will call ford service tomorrow to check this
Old 14th June 2017, 21:43   #84
BHPian

Is the air filter fine? Had a problem similar to what you have posted with one of my old cars. Turned out a rat had feasted on air filter causing more air flow and hence high rpm.
sathish81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 22:38   #85
BHPian

Re: Figo car stalled

Are you able to slot gears in stand still or raise rpm?
Just check if there is a leak from the gear box? Was it serviced recently?
amiya.c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 22:44   #86
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like your clutch is gone. Will require replacement. How is the play in the clutch pedal? 26k is rather short, but if bumper to bumper traffic, then wear and tear will be high.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 07:57   #87

Thanks a lot everybody- it was serviced 2 weeks back. Gear shaft is moving fine as well.
Old 15th June 2017, 08:32   #88
Senior - BHPian

Check the fuel injectors - bad quality fuel clogging or damaging the injectors is often the reason for such vibrations from the engine. Have you contacted the service centre? They should be able to resolve it easily.

Also, a video showing the issue will help members to understand the issue better.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 08:49   #89
Senior - BHPian

Not sure, but how different is this from famous/infamous stalling while downshifting in ford figo, related thread?
That thread describes stalling issues primarily while downshifting however jerks & vibration are common to this one, please check firmware update & fixes described in above mentioned thread.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 08:56   #90
BHPian

I am not sure if it helps, I had an issue with a speed sensor not working and it behaved similarly. Any accelerator input won't have an effect. But it happened to me 4 to 5 times. It would be alright after a restart after few hours. Finally the Ford service center repaired it and everything has been fine till now. If I am not wrong it cost me few hundreds only.
aneeshtn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks