Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2004, 03:25   #1

ive got a lpg kit fitted in my cielo, i wanted to know what is the octane level of lpg fuel??

amit
Old 21st February 2005, 08:12   #2
BHPian

Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), also known as propane, is a nonrenewable gaseous fossil fuel, which turns to liquid under moderate pressure. LPG, a by-product of natural gas processing and oil refining, includes various mixtures of hydrocarbons. The type of LPG used as a vehicle fuel is a liquid mixture containing at least 90 percent propane, 2.5 percent butane and higher hydrocarbons, and the balance ethane and propylene. The mixture is commonly called "propane."

Power, acceleration, payload and cruise speed are comparable to those of an equivalent internal combustion engine. Propane has a high octane rating of 104 (compared with 87 for regular unleaded gasoline.)
Old 2nd October 2006, 05:58   #3
BANNED

Is there any difference in the octane level of cooking & Auto LPG ? Since in my village, folks are still running their MPFI/Carb cars on subsidised cooking LPG...

Will there be any engine problems (other than legal troubles) if the cooking LPG is used in lieu of Auto LPG in cars ?
Old 2nd October 2006, 09:25   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

LPG - a term widely used to describe both propane and butane, has a RON of between 90-110 depending on quality.

Most Viewed