Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your preferred engine oil brand?
BPCL (Mak etc.) 0 0%
Castrol 33 17.01%
Eni / Agip 1 0.52%
GS Caltex 2 1.03%
Gulf 1 0.52%
IOCL (Servo etc.) 4 2.06%
Mobil 65 33.51%
Petronas 2 1.03%
Shell 54 27.84%
ELF / Total 5 2.58%
Veedol 0 0%
OWS 2 1.03%
Other (please specify) 25 12.89%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2015, 16:18   #1
BHPian

Your preferred engine oil brand?

Hi All, we all know that the engine oil is the most vital fluid which helps the engine to perform at its best for a long long time. Apart from lubrication the engine oil must also,
  • Clean the engine components.
  • Protect the components against wear.
  • Reduce heat generation.
  • Maintain viscosity at high temperatures.
  • Improve fuel efficiency.
  • Absorb engine wear particles.
  • Aid cold start protection.
  • Increase component life and more.
Even though the car manufacturers don't manufacture their own oil, they test thousands of hours and recommend the most suitable engine oil grade for their engines. Some car manufacturers even tie up with oil companies and market it as the best oil to their customers. Generally the owners manual only mentions the oil grade, quantity and does not mention the engine oil brand.

This poll can determine the most preferred engine oil brand in the Tbhp community and ultimately help car owners choose the best engine oil for their cars. Please vote your choice and comment based on your experience.

Thanks for voting.

Some basic outline of the major engine oil suppliers in India. You can get more information in the source links.

1. BPCL: In 1976 the Indian Government took over Burmah-Shell Oil storage and distribution company and renamed it as BPCL in 1977. source: BPCL BP

2. Caltex: GS Caltex is a South Korea based company formed by 50:50 JV between Chevron Corporation and GS Energy in the year 1967. Source: Caltex

3. Castrol: Castrol is a UK based company found in the year 1899. Castrol formally entered the Indian market in the year 1919 by setting up its first trading unit in Bombay. Castrol was acquired by British Petroleum in 2000. As on today they operate over 40 countries across the world. source: Castrol

4. ENI: ENI is an Italian oil company established in the year 1953 from existing company Agip which was formed in 1926. In 2003 Eni acquired Agip. Eni has its presence in India since 2005. Source: ENI

5. Gulf: Gulf oil was founded on 1901 in USA. Hinduja group acquired Gulf oil from Chevron in the late 1980’s and owns its rights in over 70 countries except Portugal, Spain and USA. Source: Gulf USA, Gulf India

6. IOCL: Indian Oil Corporation Limited was established in the year 1959 by the Government of India. Source: IOCL

7. Mobil1: An American company, Mobil’s origin dates back to 1866 and after several mergers and name changes between its predecessor companies Vacuum oil company and Standard oil company, finally in 1966 it was named as Mobil Oil Corporation. In 1999 Exxon and Mobil merged to form Exxon Mobil Corporation. source: Exxon Mobil, Mobil

8. Petronas: Petroliam Nasional Berhad (PETRONAS) is a Malaysia based company established in the year 1974. They have their business operations in over 50 countries across the world.

9. Shell: The Royal Dutch Shell group was formed in 1907 and has its headquarters in Netherlands. Shell entered the Indian market as Burmah-Shell Oil storage and distribution company of India to trade kerosene in 1928 . Shell has its business in over 70 countries across the world. source: Shell

10. Total ELF:The French Oil Company was founded in the year 1924 and renamed as Total in 1991. ELF was established by the French government in the year 1939 and was privatised in 1994. ELF merged with Total in the year 2000. Source: Total, ELF

Related Thread - What oil change interval do you adhere to?

Last edited by GTO : 1st December 2015 at 17:58. Reason: Adding a link to the new interval thread :)
Torino is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 12:34   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Your preferred engine oil brand?

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Technical Stuff. Thanks for sharing!

I'm a big 'Mobil 1' guy. Been using it for almost 2 decades now. Simply love the engine oil.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 12:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Mobil1, but I think I went by hear-say rather than actual experience (because I have zero experience with other synthetic oils to even compare the effect for my limited usage.)
I haven't used any car for more than one lakh km, so I believe the bulleted points in the opening post doesn't apply much to me.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 25th November 2015 at 12:57.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 13:21   #4
BHPian

I think there should have been a "No preference" (Don't bother/Never cared) option too, just to see how many people go with the service center default engine oil.

I myself intend to experiment with a branded oil for the first time - my 15 year old Pulsar will form the test bed, going from the standard Bajaj oil to a fully synthetic Motul during her next service. If I perceive any significant difference, I will repeat the experiment with my car.
nishsingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 13:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
I think there should have been a "No preference" (Don't bother/Never cared) option too, just to see how many people go with the service center default engine oil.

I myself intend to experiment with a branded oil for the first time - my 15 year old Pulsar will form the test bed, going from the standard Bajaj oil to a fully synthetic Motul during her next service. If I perceive any significant difference, I will repeat the experiment with my car.
But the oils for car and bike are different in their function and properties

I guess you meant according to the results, you will then decide on the "brand" name and not "oil" as such.
prithm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 13:30   #6
ISO
BANNED

Castrol GTX 20W50 is my favorite oil.

I have been using it for my bike Hero Honda for past 25 years. One lack plus kilometers done. Stock clutch plates are still giving me service.
Old 25th November 2015, 13:31   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
But the oils for car and bike are different in their function and properties

I guess you meant according to the results, you will then decide on the "brand" name and not "oil" as such.
Yes, I meant going for a fully synthetic oil in general. Also, unlike GTO, I intend to experiment with a wide range of brands just to understand if there is any difference across brands.
Old 25th November 2015, 13:32   #8
BHPian

I have been using Motul 8100 Xcess in my Linea T-Jet and it is the best I have used by several notches. I change oil every 10000 kms and Motul is the only one that retains the smoothness and quietness for all the 10K Kms. Other oils tend to deteriorate sooner.

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 25th November 2015 at 13:55. Reason: Added car model
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 13:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Using Mobil Delvac 1 for my swift DI since 3 years and found it to be the apt one for the engine.For my enfield I prefer Motul 5100. Had been using Motul in my old pulsar and found it to be extremely good.Same applies for the Enfield.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 13:52   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

For bike-
Synthetic - Motul 7100 .
Semi Synthetic - Valvoline premium

For car(Diesel)-
Synthetic - Mobil Delvac 1(Swear by it! Awesome oil.Maintains smoothness even beyond 10K mark)
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 14:05   #11
BHPian

I don't have much experience in this regard but during my last oil change I shifted to Wurth Semi Synthetic Oil which is the oil my FNG uses on all cars, they also have Wurth Fully Synthetic Oil which I'm planning for my next oil change.

After the change the car felt smooth and although the mileage dropped a bit in the start, after around 1k kms, it shot up and gave me a good mileage of 20kmpl last time using tankful to tankful method. The car in question is a Honda Amaze Diesel.
Old 25th November 2015, 14:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Having ENI/Agip and GS caltex on the list and not motul is a crime. :P
devarshi84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 14:13   #13
BHPian

3 bikes at home.

Honda CBR250R - Honda Throttle 10W30 FS (because still in warranty stage)
Pulsar 220 DTS-i - Motul 7100 4T 20W50 FS
Apache RTR 180 - Motul 7100 4T 10W40 FS

Chevrolet Beat - Total 0W30 FS I think.

Been using Motul on the both bikes which are out of warranty period and their performance has increased greatly after switching from OEM engine oil.
0xTKB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 14:17   #14
BHPian

If you come across any old school of car mechanic type then most probably that person will ask you "sir... Mobil oil daal doon"!
Basically Mobil has become a synonym for engine oil.
embee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 14:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

Have used

HPCL 10w30 for lancer and wagonR
Mobil1 for lancer and jazz
castrol for pulsar and adreno
Petronas for all vehicles
motul for all vehicles
servo for 2 wheelers
shell, motul and petronas for bullet

Lancer petrol works best with a 50grade oil for whatever reason. So mobil is best
Jazz petrol works best with petronas synth oil.
Jazz petroll also gave equally good results with Shell helix
WagonR gave optimum performance with MGO dino oil.
Royal Enfield somehow loves Motul. Intend to try GS caltex kixx this time.
Suzuki access 125 does ok on castrol but loves Motul.

Overall oil needs to be selected based on the engine characteristics.

To select one brand is not logical. Shell might be good overall but Mobil does good on cars while Motul does good for two wheelers in my experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks