Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2006, 13:07   #1
BHPian

Hi all,

I had been regularly filling my Indica Turbo with HP Turbojet at the Koramangala, Sharjapur road pump.
But recently after going through one of the threads on the forum on good fuel bunks in Bangalore, i shifted to the Shell pump on V M road.
The Turbo manual recommends HSD (also with sulpher content of only 0.035% for BS 3 engines) as fuel for the car, but the Shell guys have only one form of diesel.

My query is, does the Shell diesel fall into the HSD category or is it just normal diesel.

I noticed today that my car has been spewing out black smoke on high revs, could this be the reason???

Went through Rajturbo's thread on similar black smoke problem, but it ends abruptly without the final resolutions, have PMed him too.

The car has done about 5300kms and is going in for its first service coming sat.

Please help!!
Old 14th September 2006, 13:25   #2
Team-BHP Support

Diesel is of two types
1. HSD(High speed diesel)
2. LDO(Light diesel oil).
From here
Quote:
HSD is normally used as a fuel for high speed diesel engines operating above 750 rpm i.e. buses, lorries, generating sets, locomotives, pumping sets etc. Gas turbine requiring distillate fuels normally make use of HSD as fuel. LDO is used for diesel engines, generally of the stationery type operating below 750 rpm
In all fuel stations, HSD is given. Modern engines will go kaput on the other type.
the only difference in diesel quality could be sulpher content, with supreme court mandating Low sulpher diesel for companies to fulfil pollution norms, but currently its not really Low sulpher diesel which is sold in India.

So smoking turbo indica could be generally due to low quality diesel(HSD with adultrants). wrong ECU setting leading to unburnt fuel and hence carbon deposits in the silencer.

Try the following.
Fill in normal diesel for BP trusted pumps(hint: Watch out for lots of taxis and trucks filling there).
Add Iftex System D(Available from all tata workshops and some petrol pumps). The content is 1ml/liter IIRC.

Do some high revving to clear silencer of unburnt carbon.
Once clear, the car should not emit black smoke. Usually black smoke generating carbon accumulation occurs in a week or so. After that some high revving can clear it and you can cruise at high revvs without causing the guy behind you to go black.

PS: Its a good time to clear your silencer carbon deposits when a biker/auto etc., behind you is honking like mad on a red light.
Old 14th September 2006, 13:42   #3
BHPian

Smoking turbo!!

Hi tsk1979,

Thanks tons for the suggestions. Will try it out and report back.

( wrong ECU setting leading to unburnt fuel and hence carbon deposits in the silencer.)

This sounds scary!!!!

PS: Its a good time to clear your silencer carbon deposits when a biker/auto etc., behind you is honking like mad on a red light.[/quote]

The tip on the 'redlight' is valuable!!!!!
Old 14th September 2006, 20:50   #4
SUV
BHPian

dude ... i too had the same problem. But after some research of my own, resetting the ECU solved the problem. Prolly you can give it a try.

Just disconnect the Battery for couple of min (about 5 min) and reconnect. This should solve the problem. (Atleast it solved on my indica turbo).

As suggested by TSK ... do some high revving after the engine is in operating temprature zone.
Old 15th September 2006, 11:32   #5
BHPian

Spoke to the manager of an HP pump in Bandra, Mumbai who stated that the sulphur content is as per GOI regulations (below 0.2, if I remember right) in the Regular/Premium HSD diesel. The only difference between the 2 he said was that the Premium variety (Turbojet/Xtramile etc) has additives to improve FE.
The GOI regulation can be found here http://www.tn.gov.in/rti/proactive/c...n&ct=clnk&cd=3

So in all probability your fueller is an adulterator too!
Old 15th September 2006, 11:52   #6
BHPian

Hi guys, here's an update,

I checked yesterday and found out that black smoke is emitted at high revs (2500 - 3000 rpm), and that too if the if you step on it suddenly (tried it with the vehicle stationary);
if you gradually rev it then there isnt much smoke.
The problem still persists though; will get the additive as suggested by tsk1979 tomorrow when its going in for service. Think its the same stuff as suggested in the manual (Iftex System D).

And hi SUV, lemme try out your suggestion today evening. Will report back.

Thanks tons guys for all your suggestions

Where is Rajturbo though, wonder what happened to his smoking problem eventually!!!!
Old 15th September 2006, 13:55   #7
Team-BHP Support

Hmmmm..what about the turbo seals ????
Old 15th September 2006, 14:25   #8
BHPian

[quote=SUV]dude ... i too had the same problem. But after some research of my own, resetting the ECU solved the problem. Prolly you can give it a try.

Just disconnect the Battery for couple of min (about 5 min) and reconnect. This should solve the problem. (Atleast it solved on my indica turbo).

Hey Suv,

A lil confused here; when do i disconnect the battery, when the engine is off/on, can you explain a lil more. wanna try that today.

And hi Ajmat, please explain which specific turbo seals to check, where will they be located, am totally ignorant about the engine right now.

thanks tons guys
Old 15th September 2006, 14:58   #9
Team-BHP Support

Turn off the engine.
Disconnect battery for 15 minutes.
Reconnect battery.
Start.
Old 29th September 2006, 12:51   #10
BHPian

Hi guys,

good to be back.

Here's an update on my problem.
Had taken the car for servicing last to last weekend.
Had indicated the smoking problem to them. They said it was it was just a matter of getting the cat con cleaned.

But the problem still persists. Never got the time to go back to them and report back as i was out on tour.
But yesterday the TATA call centre people called me up to whom i gave a detailed report of the service.

I had asked them to also check up on some other minor problems like

* kit kit kit sound from steering wheel, which they said is some belt problem, will tighten it up. NOT RECTIFIED

* some ball joint sound from the right front wheel side: NOT RECTIFIED

*LHS front speakers going mute if the front power windows are operated (sometimes) NOT RECTIFIED

*Opted for a rubber paint/anti corrosion job DONE OBVIOUSLY

*Opted for a 3M paint protect/gloss job DONE OBVIOUSLY

The service supervisor was very sweet, nice and polite and well behaved. Was quite impressed as he also was nice enough to deliver the car on the same day (apparently there ws a huge line up and he could give it to me only the next day.

I had to pick up the car in a hurry, so never got to do a checklist, and realised all these only the next day. Also need to mention that, also never actually called him back to complain that the issues were still there, except to the call centre person, like i mentioned earlier. Since the supervisor was nice, pit all my faith on him and drove off. ( I know.....am a sucker for niceties!!!!)

And yeah TSK, did do what you had adviced (battery disconnecting). Though i felt the car felt a lil smoother, but the smoking was there. Let me also menton/reiterate at this point againthat, the problem is not heavy black smoke all the time, but only on hard revs. (Actually need to follow the car from behind, cant really make out much when you are on the wheel.)

So there you are.....still driving a smoking car. Am confused now if its actually a problem.
Or its ok..

Would like to hear from other Turbo owners if they are having similar issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks