Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2018, 21:02   #46
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster 110 PS - Fuel Injector Issue

Similar issue seen with Ford 1.4L. In that thread, they are referring to Duster. I guess they are referring to this thread itself.

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/ford-1...jector-failure
Old 11th June 2018, 12:23   #47

Latest addition to the Loss of power issue . My Duster AWD has developed the issue which was described in the posts above . It was first given at Trident Mysore Road and the guy gave a wierd explanation that the ESP lights came due to the wheel spinning and it will go away without mentioning anything about the injectors [ As the ESP light was also on along with th Coil light - Scary ! ]. Took it to the Whitefield Trident next . As the first step they cleaned the fuel filter and gave the car back . The very next day morning I encountered the same problem where the power drops after driving 100 meters and the coil light comes on. However the surprising thing is that once the engine is hot the issue doesn't appear. which is like driving for 10 minutes. It happens only in the morning first when we start the car and drive. Anyway to cut the long story short - the car is been given to Whitefield Trident this morning [ This time I met with the Service GM ] lets see what they say . I will keep everyone posted
Old 18th June 2018, 13:43   #48

Trident Renault Whitefield called and said they are changing the fuel pump which is causing the issue under warranty . Although it is good news, I am still wondering if it will fix the issue as almost all posts in this topic point to the injector issue which got replaced eventually. Anyway since Renault know their product I am trusting them. I will get the car in two days.

Thanks

Harish

Last edited by GTO : 19th June 2018 at 08:55. Reason: Typos
harifire is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 1st December 2018, 19:25   #49
Senior - BHPian

My vehicle did not start this afternoon, I first suspected a weak battery and called exide batmobile. The guy came in 40 minutes and checked the voltage and tried a jump start, vehicle did not start. Then I checked for fuel leak, on close inspection found a leak in the diesel priming pump. I called Renault helpline and their technician came after an hour. He tried to arrest the leak by tying a condom, never thought a condom can be used this way. Then we finally decided to tow the vehicle as the leak was pretty bad. The dashboard lights were flashing as experienced by other guys in this thread.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 11:39   #50
Senior - BHPian

I got a call from the dealer today, he tried to tell me the same old story of failure of primary pump and fuel injectors. I very politely told him to replace the priming pump and return the vehicle to me, refused to waste my time by opting for a warranty claim. I will be going to the service station tomorrow.
Old 3rd December 2018, 23:13   #51
Senior - BHPian

The damaged pump was replaced today at the ASC, I opted for out of warranty replacement. The total bill was Rs.4470 including a GST of Rs.950. I have attached the image of cracked pump and its replacement part.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster 110 PS - Fuel Injector Issue-file1.jpeg  

Renault Duster 110 PS - Fuel Injector Issue-file11.jpeg  

deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 20:02   #52

Hardly 30,000 kms. in the odometer.

3 injectors have already gone kaput during the warranty period. Last week 2 more failed. Bittersweet ownership experience of this Duster 4wd RxZ is turning into a miserable one, as the vehicle is now out of the warranty period and TVS Trivandrum is asking for 68K for replacing these two injectors.

Something is terribly wrong with the injectors of duster 4WD. I've already made Renault know my disgruntlement during the 3 free replacements during warranty period. This time when they informed me that it would be a paid one, I told them that I won't be paying a penny for it and am taking my vehicle back. After a few minutes they called me back and told that they can replace one injector free of cost as a goodwill gesture and I straightaway refused it. When i went to take back the vehicle, to my surprise, the infamous red warning light + ESP was gone and when I asked them, they told that they had reset the computer and its re-appearance is only a matter of time.

I drove back the vehicle home and now I've clocked more than 50 kms. after that. What surprises me is that there is no feeling of loss of power or shuddering - the blatant symptoms of this disease. If the injectors were really faulty, how does the car deliver top notch performance as normal, even if the ECU was tweaked?

Anyway I'm planning to move court as Renault still couldn't either accept their injectors are substandard or demystify the reason for injector failures due to use of adulterated fuel, when a whole lot of cars both cheaper and costlier than this duster are out there on the road, running smoothly on the same 'adulterated fuel'

Last edited by ampere : 15th September 2019 at 20:48. Reason: Formatted for readability
ssedrgmechtvc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 19:45   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post
One of my injectors failed (Duster 40,000km). It was replaced and a week later another injector failed.

@bdman, I'm eager to know about your story. Did you proceed any further in the legal direction? After all we are in the same boat

I tried the twitter way mentioned somewhere else in this thread. The just called me once and enlightened me that i have to replace it on payment basis. As mentioned elsewhere in the same thread, I'm soon writing to CEO (email id is now changed from sumit.sawhney@renault.com to Venkatram.Mamillapalle@renault.com, as Venkatram is the new CEO)

Last edited by ampere : 15th September 2019 at 20:47. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
ssedrgmechtvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 08:34   #54
BHPian

ssedrgmechtvc

I got Renault to replace all 4 injectors. Vehicle had completed only about 48K of the 80K km warranty. Although the 4 year warranty period has expired.

My fight with Renault lasted a year, and for the last 6 months I left the car parked in the dealership stating that the vehicle was not drivable and for safety reasons and most importantly Renault had never gave a written explanation as to why the injectors were failing, (By this time 3 of the 4 injectors had failed)Repeated emails were sent to the CEO and other high level officials at Renault.

I finally had a meeting with a (useless) service advisor named Krishnan. He did not have a clue. I showed him a detailed report (which I paid Rs 6K for) from the Continental Test rig that showed that 1 injector had failed and 3 were "weak" . Sure enough a few months after the first injector failed, 2 more failed. Proving that the report was accurate and suported my demand that Renault replace all 4 injectors even the ine that had not failed -- for safety reasons. What if I were driving through a jungle and the injector failed?

My meeting with Krishnan was futile. But, it became clear to me from that meeting that Renault was trying to cover up the issue and deny all claims. Later on Renault asked another service advisor, Marvin, called me. He stated will replace the injectors on an exception basis and will not entertain any more claims from me regarding the matter.

The man reasons for the failures, Marvin provided informally, are as follows:

1. Not starting the vehicle once per week.Apparently the injectors can dry out and then fail later due to lack of lubrication -- this is not mentioned in the owners manual.

2. Water in the fuel -- water become steam and can explode coming out of the injector. Water can get in due to condensation etc.

In addition to this, I believe the high suhphur content in some diesels can cause damage. For a while in 2014-2015 only BS4 diesel (high sulphur) fuel was available at the pumps while the Duster engine is designed for BS5 (low sulphur)

I hope this helps you guys with your battles
bdman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 08:57   #55
Senior - BHPian

Good points to escape from warranty claims, they should have taken care of steam and sulphur during routine service. This is neither included in the service manual nor displayed in service centers.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 18:24   #56
BHPian

I think it is part of Renault's Master plan to make money as they were selling injectors for 2X the retail price compared to other countries. Plus, Renault was not allowing Continental, the injector manufacturer, to :

1. service the injectors
2. sell injectors directly to Renault/Nissan customers at a fair price
3. run test reports which will help customers identify the root cause of the problem (BTW the reports were so detailed that they blew my mind).

All of the above would be considered unfair competitive practices in most developed countries Renault/Nissan operate and can draw heavy penalties from the govt. India has no such laws to protect customers

Moreover, Dusters made in India have corrosion issues which has forced them to be recalled in other countries like UK -- leg to the nickname Rusters. As a matter of fact, Dusters sold in UK are no longer made in India anymore.

Recalls are forced on manufacturers by authorities in other countries if the issue has serious safety implications.

Typically, once a recall is forced, responsible manufacturers recall the vehicle from all markets and fix the problem -- mainly to protect the brand. Renault did no such thing in India -- pretty much admitting that they felt Indian lives were not worth as much as European ones.

I brought all these points up in my emails to the CEO.
bdman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 19:17   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post

The man reasons for the failures, Marvin provided informally, are as follows:

1. Not starting the vehicle once per week.Apparently the injectors can dry out and then fail later due to lack of lubrication -- this is not mentioned in the owners manual.

I absolutely had no clue about this, thanks for sharing. Time to educate some folks who keep cars as decorative item in their garage.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 19:35   #58
BHPian

Also, as our govt continues to mandate changes in the fuel to Curb pollution -- now plan to go from BS5 to BS6 -- our injector problems could get worse.

Please read..

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/70853624.cms

Quote:
Can BS4 cars run on BS6 fuel?
Users of petrol cars have little to worry about compliance as there is very little difference between BS4 and BS6 fuels. However, the same isn’t the case with diesel vehicles. The older generation BS4 diesel has five times the sulphur content (50ppm) as compared to BS6 (10ppm). A diesel engine employs an injector to ionize fuel for combustion. Sulphur acts as a lubricant for diesel injectors. The use of BS6 diesel in older generation BS4 cars will cause the injector to wear out prematurely as low sulphur in the fuel will lead to less lubrication.

Last edited by bdman : 18th September 2019 at 19:39.
Old 18th September 2019, 23:54   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

At Kolkata there are few Duster AWD's including mine which has an occasional RPM fluctuation while idling.

Among 3 Dusters, Renault have changed the injectors in two Dusters.

In one Duster the issue is solved & on the other one the issue still persists.

In the beginning i was inclined that it must be the injectors but during the service, i got the values checked for all the 4 injectors and all of them gave a healthy reading.

No error code from the obd scanner either.

Later i uploaded a video clip of this in Youtube. I was surprised to see many more customers reporting the same problem in the comments section and for everyone its unresolved.

Renault 110 Bhp engine do not have an idler valve and O2 sensor. So these two are ruled out. One guy suggested fuel temperature sensor and we got it checked too, that's working fine. Air filter, diesel filter, glow-plugs, fuel line, fuel pump, all have been checked and all are working fine. In-fact i face this issue occasionally since the odo reading in my car was less than 1000 km!

Despite of this the car runs absolutely smooth and normal! When the rpm fluctuates during idling, a small tap on the accelerator or putting on the AC solves it.

At Renault Budgebudge, Renault have even sent their technical team who came directly from Renault, even they were clueless and blamed on bad fuel. After much of pestering them with proof, they accepted that the fuel we use are from reputed petrol bunks.

I searched in Dacia forum and came to a conclusion that in European countries they have got an ECU update which we have not got in India.

Am totally clueless now-
Whether its faulty injectors or a simple ECU update!
Should we use diesel additive's with injector cleaners from time to time?

Sharing the video- (Do hear the engine note by increasing the volume & read the comments by different people.)

I could have posted this in the official Duster review thread, but reading the posts, i feel its more apt to share here!

Last edited by Samba : 19th September 2019 at 00:03.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2019, 14:24   #60
BHPian

Are there any warning lights in the dash? If there are no lights, don't worry about it.
bdman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed