Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2015, 08:57   #1
BHPian

Renault Duster 110 PS - Fuel Injector Issue

My friend faced the following issue. And I have seen similar issues reported by others. Is this worth discussing in detail?

Folks, two weeks back I faced this issue with my AWD duster after filling diesel from a bunk and running for about 50 kms. Took it to the ASC and they said that it seems like there is an issue with one of the injectors and they are replacing it with warranty. But they also say that there is a slight bit of mixing in the fuel and as a precaution change the entire diesel present in the tank and to change the fuel filter (Rs 3.7K on my cost). I am 100% sure than only diesel was poured. I am unable to digest the two aspects they mention
1) Replacing injector under warranty(Almost 25K for one).
2) Seems there is mixing of fuel and need me to change fuel filter and the entire diesel(Above half tank).
Experts opinions appreciated!
suchit23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 13:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault Duster 110 PS - Fuel Injector Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post
My friend faced the following issue. And I have seen similar issues reported by others. Is this worth discussing in detail?

Folks, two weeks back I faced this issue with my AWD duster after filling diesel from a bunk and running for about 50 kms. Took it to the ASC and they said that it seems like there is an issue with one of the injectors and they are replacing it with warranty. But they also say that there is a slight bit of mixing in the fuel and as a precaution change the entire diesel present in the tank and to change the fuel filter (Rs 3.7K on my cost). I am 100% sure than only diesel was poured. I am unable to digest the two aspects they mention
1) Replacing injector under warranty(Almost 25K for one).
2) Seems there is mixing of fuel and need me to change fuel filter and the entire diesel(Above half tank).
Experts opinions appreciated!
Sorry to hear about the trouble you faced. What exactly were the symptoms you noticed? And what problem did the ASC notice with the injector?
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 12:53   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Duster 110 PS - Fuel Injector Issue

Yeah, this appears to be a problem with the 110 PS only. I believe it uses different 7-hole injectors than the regular 85 PS variant? There are some reports on the forum about the Duster 110 needing new injectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igp_79 View Post
Faced the same issue during my uphill routine drive, a few months back (17000km 110ps.). in some time the engine malfunction light came on.

called the ASS. they asked me to disconnect and 10 minutes later, reconnect the ecu, which is on the left just behind the grill. this did not solve the issue.

finally the vehicle was called in and they changed the injector under warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by penpusher View Post
Next day went to Renault Vijayawada & met the GM, Mr Satish, he was extremely helpful and asked me to leave the vehicle for couple of hours. Finally the fault was traced to malfunctioning fuel injector. Since, it was not readily available he offered to replace it from one of the service station cars & place order for a new one with Renault. I agreed & drove home. He was good on his word and called me back after about 2 weeks with information that Renault has supplied a fresh piece, which he replaced for the service station piece in my car. Everything done in warranty & no charges.
No complaint yet from any Duster 85 owners. Even my Sunny - which runs the same engine - is going strong at 50,000 kms with no failure of any sort.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 13:08   #4
BHPian

Seems the issue is cropping up only in 110PS. I suspect whether the 85 and 110 use the same set of injectors with high rail pressure in 110, which could be the reason for the premature failure. If they are different then these are one off cases of manuf defect.

From the description of the issue I assume the issue was discussed in the Duster owner's owner's FB group. He was getting P0201 error which says "Injector Circuit Open". There are several reasons for damaging the injector including the power. I am not sure whether other users were facing the same error code.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 8th December 2015 at 13:15.
::CMS:: is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 18:56   #5
BHPian

My friend tells me even after the fuel injector was replaced last time the issue surfaced yet again? Dealer is repeating that this is fuel contamination issue but friend tells me many other cars fill there and that should not be the issue.

What else could be the problem if fuel injector is ruled out? Anyone else having this issue?
Old 23rd January 2016, 19:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My friend tells me even after the fuel injector was replaced last time the issue surfaced yet again? Dealer is repeating that this is fuel contamination issue but friend tells me many other cars fill there and that should not be the issue.

What else could be the problem if fuel injector is ruled out? Anyone else having this issue?
Sorry to hear about the trouble you faced. What exactly were the symptoms you noticed? And what problem did the ASC notice with the injector?

When you reported the issue for the first time, I had inquired the same.
Old 24th January 2016, 11:02   #7
BHPian

The problem is the warning lights come on and he is forced to stop driving. Two of the 4 injectors have been replaced by now. But Renault keeps telling its a fuel issue.
Old 25th January 2016, 17:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
The problem is the warning lights come on and he is forced to stop driving. Two of the 4 injectors have been replaced by now. But Renault keeps telling its a fuel issue.
Hi Suchit23,

110 PS uses 7 hole Piezo Fuel injectors. These are different than the ones in 85PS ones. I am still not sure about the signs/symptoms which led to the replacement. Which light came on ? Was there a sudden drop in power ? Did engine just die ? Would be great if you could answer the above queries.

Regards,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 22:46   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Hi Suchit23,

110 PS uses 7 hole Piezo Fuel injectors. These are different than the ones in 85PS ones. I am still not sure about the signs/symptoms which led to the replacement. Which light came on ? Was there a sudden drop in power ? Did engine just die ? Would be great if you could answer the above queries.

Regards,

Pawan

The following light comes up when the injector fails.

This leads to decreased acceleration with power loss. Vehicle starts vibrating on flooring down. Since vehicle doesn't respond to the throttle given, the ESP kicks in and shows its error too.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster 110 PS - Fuel Injector Issue-jan_11_2016_error.jpg  

suchit23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 11:24   #10

Was driving down from Mumbai to Pune in my Duster 110, and suddenly the injector and electronic fault light came on. The vehicle started losing power and on slowing down, it felt like the engine was sounding rough. Limped at 60 kmph to Pune. Saw today morning and the injector light has come on. Will take to the service station. I am told a new service station has started at Chinchwad, Thermax chowk. Will take it there tomorrow since today is January 26. It is clear, one of the injector's gone. Seems to be a common case with Duster 110s. Vehicle's just out of warranty in December. Let's see, how big the hole in the pocket will be.
Old 17th February 2017, 11:38   #11
BHPian

The same car failed again, getting escalated to higher ups as the ASC is not in a mood to find the root cause and says the reason as low running of the car

3 Times Injector Failure in 15K kms!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dust...5074434781446/
Old 19th February 2017, 18:00   #12
BHPian

Just over an year back I faced this issue with my AWD duster( with ODO ~9800kms). Took it to the Renault Kottayam ASC and they said that it seems like there is an issue with one of the injectors(Cylinder 1) and they are replacing it with warranty. But they also say that there is a slight bit of mixing in the fuel and as a precaution change the entire diesel present in the tank and to change the fuel filter (Rs 3.7K on my cost). I am 100% sure than only diesel was poured and from a good outlet.

After running about 250 kms (ODO ~10300) the same issue came up while on a long drive from Kerala to Bangalore and was stranded on the highway with a full family inside. This was the second time this issue was arising.

The vehicle was then towed to Renault Madurai and after their inspection, they said it's another injector failure(Cylinder 4).

They mentioned bad fuel to me again which I still have NOT AGREED. And they said as a precaution, they are replacing all the other three injectors.

Time passed.Exactly just after an year, the same issue happened again. (ODO 15800)

Now the vehicle is in Renault Kottayam again for the same problem. Their OBD reader CLIP wasn't connecting, but looking at the symptoms, they say it's the injector issue. And this time the reason they was due to low running(mileage) on the vehicle.

I asked them to give me in writing stating that it is due to low running of the vehicle. But they say that I need to pay for the injectors(25K+ for one) and then they can give in writing. The injectors are Continental make. Also they say that these injectors are suitable for Euro IV fuel. But there is no Euro IV fuel in Kerala.

Quite confused and irritated with this vehicle now.
suchit23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 09:09   #13
BHPian

Update:

The vehicle was received back after changing the problematic injector(Cylinder 3) under warranty. I was reluctant to take the vehicle back as they did not provide the root cause yet. They mentioned that the issue is quite complex and do not have a timeline of when they can complete the diagnosis. So they mentioned that there is no point in keeping the vehicle in RASS, as there is nothing else to do with the car. Hence, I decided to take the vehicle back after they promised (over phone) that they will keep me informed of what is going wrong. Hopefully I will hear back from them.
Old 2nd March 2017, 11:26   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhairyasheel View Post
Was driving down from Mumbai to Pune in my Duster 110, and suddenly the injector and electronic fault light came on. The vehicle started losing power and on slowing down, it felt like the engine was sounding rough. Limped at 60 kmph to Pune. Saw today morning and the injector light has come on. Will take to the service station. I am told a new service station has started at Chinchwad, Thermax chowk. Will take it there tomorrow since today is January 26. It is clear, one of the injector's gone. Seems to be a common case with Duster 110s. Vehicle's just out of warranty in December. Let's see, how big the hole in the pocket will be.
@Dhairyasheel How much did it cost you for replacing the injector?
Old 18th May 2017, 14:45   #15
BHPian

The diesel injector on my duster 110 went kaput forcing to limp back to the service center.
The issue started with slight shudder during sudden acceleration and the engine warning light coming on briefly for 10 minutes a month ago. The car was inspected at the service center and came back after resetting errors and replacing the fuel filter which was found choked. Things returned to normal and the car was used for around 2000kms.
We were on the highway for a 100km journey when a sudden loss of pickup was noticed and car refusing to run past ~2000rpm after doing just 5kms into the journey. Fortunately, the service center was just 2kms away and we could make it to there.
The fault was diagnosed with the 4th cylinder injector which was not at all feeding diesel.This injector was replaced with at a cost of Rs. 27k.
The diesel in the tank was analyzed and it showed traces of water, suspended particles, and even gasoline.
Now we have changed our fuel station and started adding Liqui Moly Super Diesel Additive for every alternate tank full.
Sincerely hope that another injector doesn't die down after this.

Most Viewed