Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2006, 21:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Usually I see F1 cars blow thier engines there is a huge clould of white smoke but no turbo in F1 cars.
Old 20th September 2006, 22:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
Neo, you are absolutely right about the oil feed line, would reccomend putting in a 100 jet in between the oil feed line and the turbo to make sure that the feed is continually restricted, another reason why this tends to happen is if the oil out from the turbo does not flow freely into the engine sump, please check as this would cause an immediate turbo failure.

hi
u mentioned that """put 100 jet in between that turbo and oil feed line"""
what is that ?
what should be the pressure of oil in oil feed line?
what dia should be of oil return line (drain line)?
and can i made turbo oil seal at turnner on lathe machine?
if not whats tha price and where to buy ?

please reply
Old 21st September 2006, 01:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Usually I see F1 cars blow thier engines there is a huge clould of white smoke but no turbo in F1 cars.
Maybe that's because the oil is igniting. Pretty much what happened to neo.
Old 21st September 2006, 08:44   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_trace
hi
what is that ?

please reply
Hi,

Am not sure but I think the T3 turbo uses a ceramic oil seal in which case will be difficult to make. A new one will have to be sourced from abroad.

Viper
Old 21st September 2006, 08:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_trace
hi
what is that ?

please reply
1) 100 Jet from some carburettor
2) You will not be able to manage that hence leave it
3) at least 1/4 of an inch or more with no restrictions
4) No you cannot as the rpms & stresses that it needs to handle cannot be replicated by a turner neither will he be able to achive high rpm balancing and the finishing required
5) There are enough places on the web where you get turbo rebuild kits.
Old 21st September 2006, 13:25   #21
BHPian

Hello,
Psycho is very right.I can also suggest that u move the turbo a little higher,so that ur oil return line is straighter.Make sure that ur return line is not below the oil level in the sump.
I remember bieng asked this question for ur car by someone else,looks like the message dint go throught to u.

Let me know if u need to know anything else.

Karan
Old 21st September 2006, 15:03   #22
BANNED

Hey why don't you go back to the guy who fit your turbo (National Garage/N1 Engineering, right)?

Doesn't he offer some kind of After Sales Support? Seems quite bad if your engine's gotten messed up so quickly after you've got it done by them.
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:22   #23
BHPian

Maruti Swift - VXi - White smoke

Dear Team BHPians,

I am starting this thread expecting my fellow BHPians to provide their valuable feedback and advise.

Let me introduce you to my car and provide a brief history about it.

I own a Maruti Swift VXi. The car is 10 months old now and it is has clocked 5680 kms till date. I have serviced my car twice. First at 1000 kms/1 month and then at 6 months. Third service is due in May 2015.

I have been gentle with the car and am getting an average mileage of 19.6 kmpl.

Recently I had a bad experience of getting stuck in mud right in front of my home. I was late to office and was in a hurry. It had rained last night and the road in front of my home was slushy.

In the morning, I started my car and reversed it to move it out of my car porch. I then moved the car forward and to my horror, just about 5 meters ahead , my car got stuck in mud.

I revved hard but could not move the car an inch. My neighbour came to my rescue and he too revved the car hard in an attempt to move the car.

He then revved the car hard and reversed it . At this moment I could see some white smoke coming out of my car' exhaust.

May i know what might have caused this?

The car finally came out after trying a couple of times.

I am worried about the white smoke portion. I started the car later on in the evening after cleaning it to see if there is any white smoke on cold start-up.

I did not see any smoke this time. Also checked the same after few days and there was no white smoke.

I have driven about 500 Kms after this incident and the car behaves normally. Also took it for a round about trip of 270 Kms yesterday with continuous 100 Kmph runs on the highway with no issues.

Please advise.

Warm Regards,

Sajeesh
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift - VXi - White smoke

The smoke "MAY" have been from the clutch burning and not exhaust. Was there a thick stench of something burnt? It is not common but very possible that he over revved the engine and half clutched his way out of the slush.

Only way to confirm this is to remove clutch plate and see for burn marks, its not a very expensive job, during the next service ask the MASS to show this in person to you. GB Removal/refit may be 1~K in labor, just fit it back.

Else, for a cheap and quick solution, drive the car normally for next few days - every cold start check if there indeed is white smoke from the exhaust, if not my ^ theory holds good.

White smoke from exhaust is trouble, and always a big one :( mostly rings are kaput, but thats highly unlikely in your example.

PS - Also, there is a possibility of a damp exhaust system (exterior) getting heated up upon revving and steam being generated

Last edited by svsantosh : 23rd March 2015 at 11:42.
svsantosh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

The white smoke was probably due to the high temperature difference between the exhaust and outside temperature because of the rains. In the rains observe, you can see white smoke from petrol cars at signals too. It's nothing. Don't worry.

Secondly, If the car is stuck somewhere, make an attempt or two at max, after that get it pulled out. This high revving clutch dumps are super harmful for the clutch.

Last edited by humyum : 23rd March 2015 at 11:58.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

It should be just water or vapor in the exhaust. If it had been something else then it would have been continuous. To be on the same side keep a check on the coolant level for sometime.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:40   #27
BHPian

Dear Sajeesh,
Was there any burning smell too? And was the smoke from exhaust or from the bonnet area?
TheG2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJEESH View Post
Dear Team BHPians,

I am starting this thread expecting my fellow BHPians to provide their valuable feedback and advise.

Let me introduce you to my car and provide a brief history about it.

I own a Maruti Swift VXi. The car is 10 months old now and it is has clocked 5680 kms till date. I have serviced my car twice. First at 1000 kms/1 month and then at 6 months. Third service is due in May 2015.

Please advise.

Warm Regards,

Sajeesh
Was it actually smoke or water vapor?
If you haven't seen it again, then no need to worry about it.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:43   #29
Team-BHP Support

Don't worry if the white smoke does not resurface.

Btw, 19.6 kmpl on a petrol is very good FE !
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:55   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheG2 View Post
Dear Sajeesh,
Was there any burning smell too? And was the smoke from exhaust or from the bonnet area?
Dear TheG2,

I did not sense a burning smell. I could see the white smoke coming from exhaust region ( behind the car) , nothing from the bonnet area.

Warm Regards,

Sajeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Don't worry if the white smoke does not resurface.

Btw, 19.6 kmpl on a petrol is very good FE !
Dear Eddy,

Thank you. I am getting this mileage consistently.

Warm Regards,

Sajeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Was it actually smoke or water vapor?
If you haven't seen it again, then no need to worry about it.
Dear tharian,

I am not able to confirm if it was water vapour or smoke. To me it looked like white smoke for a few seconds. I did not see any smoke that evening after cold-startup.

Warm Regards,

Sajeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
It should be just water or vapor in the exhaust. If it had been something else then it would have been continuous. To be on the same side keep a check on the coolant level for sometime.
Dear Altocumulus,

Please note that it was not continous. White smoke was there for a few seconds. I will keep a check on coolant level.

Warm Regards,

Sajeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
The smoke "MAY" have been from the clutch burning and not exhaust. Was there a thick stench of something burnt? It is not common but very possible that he over revved the engine and half clutched his way out of the slush.

Only way to confirm this is to remove clutch plate and see for burn marks, its not a very expensive job, during the next service ask the MASS to show this in person to you. GB Removal/refit may be 1~K in labor, just fit it back.

Else, for a cheap and quick solution, drive the car normally for next few days - every cold start check if there indeed is white smoke from the exhaust, if not my ^ theory holds good.

White smoke from exhaust is trouble, and always a big one :( mostly rings are kaput, but thats highly unlikely in your example.

PS - Also, there is a possibility of a damp exhaust system (exterior) getting heated up upon revving and steam being generated
Dear svsantosh,

There was no stench of something burnt. I did not see any white smoke on cold start up the same day evening. As the car has just done 5600 kms can the rings go kaput ?

Will steam generation caused due to damp exhaust normal?

Warm Regards,

Sajeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
The white smoke was probably due to the high temperature difference between the exhaust and outside temperature because of the rains. In the rains observe, you can see white smoke from petrol cars at signals too. It's nothing. Don't worry.

Secondly, If the car is stuck somewhere, make an attempt or two at max, after that get it pulled out. This high revving clutch dumps are super harmful for the clutch.
Dear humyum,

Thanks a lot. I saw the smoke only upon high revving. As rightly mentioned by you, I have seen petrol cars spewing out white smoke. I recently saw one alto spewing out white smoke continously that was climbing a steep incline on a cold morning.

I should be now worried about the clutch and no damage to the engine I suppose.

Warm regards,

Sajeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
You will encounter white smoke at cold engine start ups and during the rainy season. That is very normal. If the exhaust is clear/ colorless when the engine has attained the operating temperature, there's is nothing to worry about.

If your car is stuck in mud, try placing the floor (rubber) mats under the tire with the drive. That often helps at the cost of cleaning the mats thoroughly later!

Regards,
Saket
Dear Saket,

Thanks for your suggestion. The engine had not attained its normal operating temperature when the engine was revving high. I saw the white smoke then.

Warm Regards,

Sajeesh

Note from Mod

Please use the Multiquote facility

Last edited by ajmat : 23rd March 2015 at 12:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks