Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2004, 00:22   #1

Well all, I was wondering what the difference between Speed and Power is? And how if at all would it make a difference to the car. I drive a zen and at present and I am using Power....should I be switching to Speed for any good reason? Please let me know...

Thanks,
kimibabe
Old 6th May 2004, 00:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey kimi

the difference here is only in the name . Bharat petroleum calls their fuel with additives Speed and Hindustan Petroleum Power. Power and Speed are basically the same. This fuel is basically much cleaner than the regular unleaded petrol which is 82 octane. This is 89 octane if I'm correct. It should help you get smoother acceleration and an improvement in mileage. So you can either use Power or Speed or if ure at an Indian oil petrol station you can ask them for their premium brand.. I dont rem what they call that.

So chill either Speed or Power would do .
Old 6th May 2004, 02:13   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Dippy @ May 05 2004,23:16)]This fuel is basically much cleaner than the regular unleaded petrol which is 82 octane.
Shouldnt they provide us with cleaner petrol in the first place. As it is we r paying some of the highest prices for petrol compared to other countries in the world.
Plz dont mix Speed or Power with the ordinary petrol. The dirt in the cheaper petrol tends to choke up the fuel supply when u refill with the higher octane petrol. Have been thro this problem.
Old 6th May 2004, 02:26   #4
F50
Senior - BHPian

Many peeps say Power is better than speed i don know coz i don use either of them
Old 6th May 2004, 11:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (F 50 @ May 06 2004,00:56)]Many peeps say Power is better than speed i don know coz i don use either of them
uh huh ? i have used both of them in my esteem and on the contrary i've found speed to be much better than power.

Kimi,

Since u r using power, take care to see that you don't switch to speed overnight , coz i once did that and had problem with the fuel pump of my car. As Dippy has rightly pointed out b4, the refinement levels of the 2 fuels might be different and this might screw up the fuel system in your car.

Finally, whatever said and done, you can never turst the petrol pumps, who knows they might be even adulterating speed/power with normal fuel and selling it at an increased price so nowadays i fill up ordinary petrol mixed with system G additive ( you get this at all gas stations) to increase the octane rating.

This way i'm myself sure what's going in my car and yeah i'm more than happy with the results

~A
Old 6th May 2004, 12:22   #6
Team-BHP Support

Strange thing this...my friends uncle who owns a pump in Pune, when casually (almost jokingly) asked whether there are actually seperate storage tanks for Speed and regular unleaded, replied that yes, they do actually keep them seperate, and its not jsut a marketing ploy!! While that was reassuring to hear, he also said that he never uses the speed/power! Contrary to what Dippy says, speed/power is no cleaner than regular unleaded. It is basically regular mixed with additives which are meant to clean the fuel system. The same thing as System G or other such stuff.

And another thing, all fuel is produced from a common stockpile and (i've heard although not sure how true it really is) sometimes even from common refineries, and then simply branded by their respective companies, so it really doesn't make a diff whether is speed, power or regular with System G added! I guess its more to do with the phsycological effect the marketing has more than any significant gains.

The most important thing is to go to a petrol pump where you know the owner, then you can be sure you are getting the best fuel, simple as that. For me, the most trustworthy pump (in South Mumbai) is Dayaram's BP pump at Breach Candy, Opp. the huge IOC pump.
Old 6th May 2004, 13:56   #7

Speed or power definately gives better average. But when i was taking delivery of my pulsar the guy at sah and sanghi told me to use regular fuel since they get complaints of knocking in bikes using fuel with additives.
Anyone know why that is so?

alap.
Old 6th May 2004, 14:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rtech @ May 06 2004,10:52)]For me, the most trustworthy pump (in South Mumbai) is Dayaram's BP pump at Breach Candy, Opp. the huge IOC pump.
Talking about trust worthy fuel pumps in mumbai, i've heard that the petrol bunk at the intersection of station road, SVRoad, Linking Road and Turner Road at Bandra offers the highest quality of fuel. One of the reasons is because it is owned by one of the oil cos. themselves and hence the motivation to adulterate is lesser.

Its the only gas station in the city which gets refilled by the oil tanker atleast thrice a day b'coz almost every other car owner from the nearing suburbs rushes there to get filled up

~A
Old 6th May 2004, 14:19   #9
Team-BHP Support

[quote]Its the only gas station in the city which gets refilled by the oil tanker atleast thrice a day b'coz almost every other car owner from the nearing suburbs rushes there to get filled up QUOTE]

this could have something to do with the fact that its in the ideal location too!!
Old 7th May 2004, 10:25   #10
Team-BHP Support

Speed93 suits my Vtec the best
Old 7th May 2004, 13:44   #11
BHPian

[quote=[b]Quote[/b] (rtech @ May 06 2004,12:49)]
Quote:
Its the only gas station in the city which gets refilled by the oil tanker atleast thrice a day b'coz almost every other car owner from the nearing suburbs rushes there to get filled up QUOTE]

this could have something to do with the fact that its in the ideal location too!!
true , very true rtech..however i am told that people from places as far off as santacruz n' beyond visit this gas station for refuelling skips dozens of gas stations in between.

~A
Old 7th May 2004, 17:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Tried Speed 93 for the first time in my Vtec and boy did she fly. The car felt completely different, the acceleration was much better and smoother......and those nigling problems with the jerks had reduced a lot.

I haven't tried out Power 93 as yet, but am very happy with how S 93 changed the way my car performed.

I don't think normal fuel is 82octane. It's usually 87 oct and normel speed is the same octane with additives (not octane boosters). Speed 93 is 93 oct and is very different from normal "speed".

Always check for that 93 suffix after the "Speed" to make out the difference.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 7th May 2004, 21:15   #13
RJK
Senior - BHPian

right shantanu..regular petrol is 87 & not 82 octane
Old 12th May 2004, 12:14   #14
BHPian

I tried Speed / Power and normal unleaded fuel,

Speed93 is definately much better than others, Better pickup, smoother running , it is fun to drive. Avg i got was arnd 16.5kmpl.

I used Normal Fuel with Thermal(additive) , u can feel the difference in the ride and pickup, not as gr8 as Speed, But avg 17.8 kmpl.

Power was nothing gr8 to talk about.

Better to chk and analyse how ur car performs when u fill petrol at various places, once u have analysed a few of the petrol pumps, u know which one is better. I always get it filled at Gurunanak Near Cinemagic, Andheri(e) next to highway.

I was also told that u can chk how good the qlty of petrol is, do this. Fill a 500 ML bottel with petrol and keep for some time. Chk the smeel after a day or two, most of it shd have evpaorated. Try this on diff types of petrol.

Kakx
Old 12th May 2004, 12:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

I use Speed and Power in my Zen . I find the engine more smooth after using it but I most certainly want to try Speed 93 but availablity is limited . Also what is the price diff between Speed and Speed 93?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks