Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2015, 18:06   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Want to sell your car because of repairs? Think again!

Quote:
I want to sell my 70,000 kms ride because it requires expensive repairs. The mechanic said that the timing belt & clutch need to be replaced. The tyres have gone bald & the suspension needs an overhaul as well. Too expensive, I'm buying a new car.
Every time I see a post like this - and there are many of them on Team-BHP itself - I go .

Two words = Please DON'T (sell your car).

Why you shouldn't sell your car due to maintenance / repairs

• Let's get one thing out of the way: Retaining your old car & getting the necessary work done will be FAR, far cheaper than buying a new car. Let me reiterate, buying a new car will be a lot (read L-O-T) more expensive than repairing your existing car. From spending a couple of thousands, you're talking about spending a couple of lakhs. Read this article to know about the true cost of car ownership. The depreciation in the first year alone will cost you 2-3 lakhs on a C2 segment sedan. Heck, 2 years of insurance premiums on the new car could take care of the repairs of your current ride.

• Remember, a car is built of innumerable wear & tear items which have a finite life. Accept their replacements - these parts will wear out some day. Getting rid of the entire car because of a couple of worn out parts is like selling your house as it needs new windows & some waterproofing!

• If your car has otherwise been mechanically sound, there's no reason to doubt its reliability. The parts you change right now (e.g. timing belt or suspension damper) will last you for another couple of years (just like the OEM part did). Get them replaced with original parts & enjoy your car for some more years.

• Tip: Look through the Team-BHP Directory and find a good independent garage. Reason = the billing difference between an independent & authorised workshop can run as high as 4x! As an example, one of my earlier cars got new engine mounts for 7 - 8k from an independent. The same in the company workshop cost ~30k.

Of course, I understand there might be situations where replacing the car is justified. Listing the major ones below.

Replace your car IF

• It's inherently unreliable and / or the cost of repair meets / exceeds its utility / book value. Like the many cars in this thread.

• She's basically falling apart! Everyone knows that I hold onto my cars for 7 - 10 years. However, I sold my Tata Indigo at the 4 year mark as it had become awfully unreliable (multiple breakdowns) and drove more like an example with 100,000 kms on the odometer than 40,000. The car had simply become junk.

• Your car has gotten outdated. Say, a Maruti Esteem or Hyundai Accent. The former was built until 2008 and the latter till 2013, but they are 20 year old outdated designs in terms of safety, design & features. Indian highways are too dangerous to be driving around in a paper cup from the nineties.

• You've used it for more than 150,000 - 200,000 kms or 7 - 10 years. If lower than that, read this thread.

• It no longer meets your needs (e.g. safety features, need for a 3rd row of seats, larger boot).

• Parts are hard to come by because the model is discontinued (e.g. Opel Corsa, Skoda Fabia...).

• It's been severely damaged in a crash, floods etc.

• You have excess funds (after the necessary savings & investments) and have your heart sold on a new machine. Well, as they say, you only live once! Consider lateral upgrades - whatever depreciation you suffer on the current car, you make up for on the pre-worshipped car - related link.

Other than these, please keep your car. Even holding on for just another 2 years will save you lakhs! Think of the opportunity cost too - invest those lakhs smartly and you'll see them multiplying.

Related Threads:

1. Keep or Sell

2. Top Shape

Last edited by GTO : 18th December 2015 at 23:04.
GTO is offline   (155) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 23:09   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Want to sell your car because of repairs? Think again!

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 23:34   #3
BHPian

GTO.. you are absolutely correct. its too easy to get frustrated with the repair cost of your old car and actually think of buying a new one. but I personally have been very close to this situation.

My 2011 Swift Vdi has clocked more than 1,20,000 Kms and has never met with any serious accident being a city runner. still every now and then I am kind of fed up with the wear and tears, however nothing major

I am still enjoying the ride and mileage and actually believes that my car is still kind of young and can go couple of thousand miles more.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 19th December 2015 at 08:07. Reason: Please do not type... like... this...
Ashdel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 23:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice thread. However, I have a strong feeling that when people think of buying a new car because their old car requires replacement of a few parts, it is more of an excuse to buy a new car.
Just like building a strong case so that one can hard wire the brain to do what the heart is desiring- getting a new car!
You have just made it harder for them through this thread!

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 23:53   #5
BHPian

This is exactly what everyone is telling me to do when I tell them that I spent a large chunk of money for my Innova's servicing, they say" You have spent so much on this car that you could buy a new Innova." Mine is 2010 Model which has run 1,80,000 km. In these 1,80,000 km I have replaced a lot of things, some even twice or thrice.
In my case if i decide to sell the car I will get around 6 lakhs and to buy anything similar to it will cost me around 16-18 lakhs OTR, so even considering the lowest figure of 16 lakhs I will be putting an additional 10 lakhs and what I get for that much money will be not be worth it at all. I would rather spend around Rs 50,000 on repairs annually.
I had 5 Innovas in my close friend circle out of which only I am remaining, rest all have sold the car as it had started giving suspension work and some other work which needed a bit more money like clutch etc. Some went on and bought another Innova which was exactly the same as their previous car!

I would like to add one more point as to why one should sell the car off i.e. rusting. Once your car starts rusting badly its time to change your ride then.
dean5545 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 00:53   #6
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent thread Rush! I believe the major reason for someone selling their car for a new car is upgradation (better features, safety, reliability (??)).

Selling a car which requires repairs and replacing it with a new one is definitely an expensive affair. And that's where a lot of people go for a lateral upgrade instead of a brand new car. There are some cars that are very well known for their reliability - take the Toyota Qualis or the Innova for example. Other than an upgrade or a major repair (accident), I can't think of any other reason why anyone would sell such a car. Our 2000 Toyota Qualis lasted with us till 2012 when we decided to upgrade to something more comfortable and a newer vehicle. That brings me to another reason why an old car is sold. After 15 years, as per the MVA it has to go through the fitness test. And even after passing through it , there is no guarantee that a new law will come in place to ban 15 + years vehicles from plying on the road.

We have always owned 2nd hand cars till 2000 we picked up a Toyota Qualis. The Qualis replaced a Tata Estate which was due for some repair work. Although the repair work was just a fraction of the cost of the Qualis - we still decided to go ahead with the decision because we wanted a new vehicle. Something that would be reliable and would last a lifetime.

So yes, it is easier and cheaper to repair your old car and get it running. But the fun of owning a new car is something very ..very different. And that's me who has just sold his Baleno and replaced it with another 2nd hand cvalue

Edit : As long as the repair work on the car gets the car back on its original shape without affecting the dynamics or stability or safety - repair should be the way to go.

Anything to do with major accident job, engine damage, rusting, reliability, resale value - its a sign to let it go

Last edited by v12 : 19th December 2015 at 00:58.
v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 01:00   #7
BHPian

Our Story - Manza AuraABS.

- bought in 2010 June
- run almost 1.2L KMs only, usage drastically reduced and has been used mainly for intercity travel in the highway lately for the past 3-4 years
- routinely serviced; wear and tear components constantly changed (belt, brakes, mounts, alternator, bearings etc) and the issues are beginning to rise as the vehicle ages
- costs more than average to maintain it but buying a new car doesn't justify the additional money to invest since the running has come down and this fellow starts at the flick of the switch when required.
- He was 7.5L rupees thereabouts in 2010 when we brought him home. No car presently available which "we" feel can be termed as an upgrade from the Manza within 10L rupees as of today.
- backseat hard to beat, not low slung, an elderly 6.2 foot person is comfortably seated for the whole journey of 8 hours. The Stock music system+Speakers still rocks for me !
- Outside of company warranty, but still chose to get it serviced, repaired etc only at VST TATA. Why? Rapport with the SA and assurance of Quality Parts. He knows the car for the past 5 years and how we drive it. It thereby helps him proactively decide what would give up next or which bill we would be staring at in the next few months.
- Occurrences of Rust beginning to show up. Paint and Body panels have held up very well so far
- There was a thought to upgrade to Aria in 2014 but for 12 L base model it was a step down from the Manza. Maybe a year or 2 down the line when Hexa comes out, time tested, and with Auto Transmission the Manza would be retired.

Last edited by TorqMaster : 19th December 2015 at 01:02. Reason: misc
TorqMaster is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 01:20   #8
BHPian

GTO
Hi
Thanks a lot for starting this thread.
My 2010 Beat has done a bit more than 30000 kms and I was waiting for January so I could replace it.
I have driven it to Leh,twice to Delhi, once to Kutcch and a few times to Dahanu. All trips alone.
I am toying with the idea of driving to Mizoram and Arunachal Pradesh. Only thing that worries me is that with a near six year old car chances of problems cropping up are higher than in a new car.
I will reread your links and decide.
Thanks once again for the thread
Regards

Last edited by faustus77 : 19th December 2015 at 01:23.
faustus77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 01:28   #9
BHPian

Can we take poor A.S.S in account as another reason to sell ?
For an average Indian, finding the right independent garage with quality workmanship and sourcing genuine parts require time and patience especially in tier 2/3 cities.
procrastinator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 01:28   #10

Buy a new car only if the old car is stolen or damaged beyond repair, just like a mobile phone. That's how I tend to think. My ford ikon (2002) is still rocking. No problems till date. Petrol cars are low on maintenance too. The registration is going to expire in 2017 and it does 0-100 kmph in 14 seconds. New tires. It is such a beauty. How do I sell it!
mrinalbarua is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 01:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Just 7-8 years ago, cars were such that people kept them for even a decade (for part longevity, quality, design, branding/trends etc etc).

Before, they were products of prestige & image. Cars, I guess, have become just another statement of our stage in life (with the different types & the new designs).

Money is one thing, another thing what happens is, people have been through SO MUCH with the car, that they often want to move on before they get sick of the relationship.

Buy a car thru loan at age 23-24, learn & enjoy it for 4-5 yrs, buy the next better machine during marriage, enjoy for 3 yrs, then buy an additional even better updated performance version as new cars keep coming every 2-3 yrs upto age 45. Then is the High End luxury sedan.

Analogy is like a Software Engineers job-change, say first 3-4 even 5 years he'll stay at 1 place, understand his work, skill, expertise. Then as his growth stagnates, he'll upskill & shift to his next job in another company, work for 3 yrs deriving more (learnings & funds).

Then he understands his expertise & learns when he should enter & exit a company so as to derive the max. So he targets specific companies, enters & exits within 2 yrs, this'll continue upto the age 45. Then build wealth at good pace in his/her own company.

As a millennial, this is what I see as the route most may choose. Now, at the end of 4-5yrs we often start feeling that the car would've become less of a fascinating aspirational machine and abit more like "just another vehicle" that we're supposed to be caged inside while carrying out our work-day with abit less hindrance.

Like, for example, our parents are very patient with slow comps / phones and would actually wait for them to process the data, whereas we'd start clicking & frowning thinking the "damn thing" is hung.

Also, nowadays I feel that only the (mostly new) cars/vehicles in their best shape should be within the city. Not just for pollution, but also overall safety & reliability. Rest of them can be retired to the Tier II & III cities. Car makers can arrange for better serviceability there (with people who spend more time at lower labour cost).

So, I think as "life" goes, cars may have to be changed. My older brother is abit like the "old school" chaps & plans to keep both the Nano & Linea upto their 10th year!

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 19th December 2015 at 02:00.
GrammarNazi is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 01:46   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I want to sell my 70,000 kms ride because it requires expensive repairs. The mechanic said that the timing belt & clutch need to be replaced. The tyres have gone bald & the suspension needs an overhaul as well. Too expensive, I'm buying a new car.
Generally, this event will be the hair that broke the camel's back. The Last Straw. It's when one raises their hands and gives up. Throws in the towel.

There will be a series of small to medium sized repairs before this.

Along with this, there will be some other catalyst for "sell old car/buy new car" decision - like a better bank balance and the heart desiring better/newer car models.
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 01:59   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Generally, this event will be the hair that broke the camel's back. The Last Straw. It's when one raises their hands and gives up. Throws in the towel.

There will be a series of small to medium sized repairs before this.

Along with this, there will be some other catalyst for "sell old car/buy new car" decision - like a better bank balance and the heart desiring better/newer car models.
Can't agree more!
Currently facing the dilemma with two cars at home for this very reason!
- 2008 525D, done about 60,000kms. Recently got some suspension work done, along with a new alternator. Presently at the garage for a new engine mount, and some other works. Has been beautifully reliable for the past 6 years, but the 7th year is proving to be a little bit of a pain. Hoping to have no more issues serious issues with her for a couple more years as everything seems to be working fine otherwise. However, given the repairs cost a couple of lakhs each time - makes me wonder...

- 2011 Toyota Liva D, done about 62,000kms. Yes, its a Toyota - should last for years right! But I think we've outgrown the need for this hatch, and given the abuse it's seen - needs suspension work and other works. Had sent it to Toyota, but they haven't been able to diagnose the issues properly, which is frustrating to deal with. Was tempted to send it to an Independent mech, and still am to be honest - but temptation, and the need for a bigger car are considerations to be accounted for.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 03:20   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

A good thread at the right time. My Palio GTX (a 2002 model, but was mostly restored a year back) keeps throwing some or the other errors, but I am still holding on to it; Why -

1. A similar replacement for the GTX can't be had for less than 8L today (Considering I'll need at least a Ford Figo D / Baleno top end versions to match the engine / space / FTD factor on offer)

2. I bought a Swift VDi @ 5.8L OTR in 2008; a product in the same segment (Figo / Baleno) costs me so much more today. Even after splurging the extra money, I am NOT upgrading my car!

3. If you consider a 5 year loan term for the 6.5L (85% of the OTR value for a new car), it works out to ~14,000/- per month EMI

4. Do I spend 14K on repairs on my GTX on a monthly basis? NO!

When I can keep the GTX healthy by spending <20% of the new car EMI, does it make sense to buy a new one? Definitely NOT! I still save 80% of the money which I can invest and multiply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
....My 2010 Beat has done a bit more than 30000 kms and I was waiting for January so I could replace it.

...Only thing that worries me is that with a near six year old car chances of problems cropping up are higher than in a new car...
I don't buy this argument. The car doesn't become un-reliable with time if it's regularly used; it does with the kilometers logged. Wear & tear happens with usage. If you are regularly using the car and also regularly servicing it, I don't find a reason for it to develop issues in 30K kms; that's way too early.

My Swift D was going way too strong at 90K kms in 5 years compared to the 40K driven dad's Wagon R. It all boils down to how you treat your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastinator View Post
Can we take poor A.S.S in account as another reason to sell ?
For an average Indian, finding the right independent garage with quality workmanship and sourcing genuine parts require time and patience especially in tier 2/3 cities.
If you are talking about complex machines, makes sense to some extent. For the TATA / Maruti / Hyundai / Mahindra vehicles, I believe you should be able to find a reliable garage in tier 2/3 cities easily. Ask around taxi drivers - they should be able to point.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 19th December 2015 at 03:27.
swiftnfurious is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 07:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Our Story - Manza AuraABS.

- bought in 2010 June
- run almost 1.2L KMs only, usage drastically reduced and has been used mainly for intercity travel in the highway lately for the past 3-4 years
- routinely serviced; wear and tear components constantly changed (belt, brakes, mounts, alternator, bearings etc) and the issues are beginning to rise as the vehicle ages
- costs more than average to maintain it but buying a new car doesn't justify the additional money to invest since the running has come down and this fellow starts at the flick of the switch when required.
- He was 7.5L rupees thereabouts in 2010 when we brought him home. No car presently available which "we" feel can be termed as an upgrade from the Manza within 10L rupees as of today.
- backseat hard to beat, not low slung, an elderly 6.2 foot person is comfortably seated for the whole journey of 8 hours. The Stock music system+Speakers still rocks for me !
- Outside of company warranty, but still chose to get it serviced, repaired etc only at VST TATA. Why? Rapport with the SA and assurance of Quality Parts. He knows the car for the past 5 years and how we drive it. It thereby helps him proactively decide what would give up next or which bill we would be staring at in the next few months.
- Occurrences of Rust beginning to show up. Paint and Body panels have held up very well so far
- There was a thought to upgrade to Aria in 2014 but for 12 L base model it was a step down from the Manza. Maybe a year or 2 down the line when Hexa comes out, time tested, and with Auto Transmission the Manza would be retired.
Mine is a similar story.

- Brought June 2010 Aura + BS4 variant done 1.25l kms
- Regularly serviced at TASS
- Almost all components replaced (baring body, engine and gearbox)
- Wanted to upgrade to a new car but nothing comes even close to its back seat comfort and space
- after scouting like hell (jazz, baleno, ciaz, scross, city, safari, xuv, innova, corolla, jetta, vento, octavia) found safari to be best upgrade for space and comfort but otherwise not so logical upgrade; other cars simply dont have the VFM.
- since dad is the guy commuting (in the back seat) via this I would like to upgrade simply for the reliability-dont want him to be stuck somewhere due to the car
- currently shortlisted Ciaz(dads choice), S Cross (moms choice), Baleno (my choice) but still unable to decide

We love this car- and our shortlist does not match this car. Had this car been in production, we would have got another one.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed