Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2017, 12:22   #106
BHPian

Re: Want to sell your car because of repairs? Think again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Does it require a full paint job? If the scratches are minor, get it inspected by a detailing shop. They might be able to get it back to showroom condition at a fraction of the cost.

Since all the parts you've mentioned are all wear and tear parts and there is no major issues with the car - I don't see why it can't run reliably for a few more years.
Even mine is the same color

I got it inspected by Bumper today. They quoted 30k for full car painting excluding roof. This includes major rusting on bonnet and minor on boot door and 1 quarter panel. They have their own booth. Summing up via their per panel costing also leads to a similar figure in my case.

Will check with some other painters as well in Delhi.
Old 21st February 2018, 13:34   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
HU has failed twice and got replaced in warranty. Check engine light flashed few times, while on long drives with family, which didn't gave me the confidence as i had before, though most of such warning are not of any trouble, but errors. Service advisors plus the technicians of authorized dealers kept saying not to retain this vehicle beyond warranty (1.5L kms). So was making my mind to replace it in next 20k kms or so....Came across this thread today.
There are lot of Xylo cabs that do Pune Mumbai runs daily, as the XYLO has the same engine although longitudinally mounted we can consider it should give the same life. Most of these guys say that for the engines that have never overheated, and have strictly followed the 20k km oil change interval, smoking and consuming oil starts only when they are nearing the 5 lakh mark.
As these people usually have a 3 year loan, they sell of at the 3 year 4 lakh km mark and the second owner gets at least a year and lakh km trouble free.

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 21st February 2018 at 13:35.
Old 22nd February 2018, 07:24   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
There are lot of Xylo cabs that do Pune Mumbai runs daily, as the XYLO has the same engine although longitudinally mounted we can consider it should give the same life. Most of these guys say that for the engines that have never overheated, and have strictly followed the 20k km oil change interval, smoking and consuming oil starts only when they are nearing the 5 lakh mark.
As these people usually have a 3 year loan, they sell of at the 3 year 4 lakh km mark and the second owner gets at least a year and lakh km trouble free.

Rahul
Engine holds good....but repeated failure on other areas puts a big question mark on reliability of the vehicle. One recent incident last week is flash of Airbag censor within a km of start for a long drive. Luckily I had an alternative car else the entire plan would have got canceled.
Old 23rd September 2019, 15:57   #109
BHPian

I can seriously do better with some help here.Bought a used 2009 Jetta comfortline dsg in 2015 which had done 97k kms and and has done 1.5L kms till date.the 1st two years had been a breeze and the last two has been a love hate relationship with the car.Love it for the space,ride dynamics,tank build ,safety kit,loaded features etc. The last 9 months have been hectic though.Spent close to 3L on Mechatronics,dual clutch & flywheel,Rear suspension, and coolant system overhaul. Now,there's a chance of either a simple blown head gasket or complete head overhaul which might range from either 10k - 80k depending on the diagnosis.I dont know if i should sell it or retain as as it ill hardly sell for 3-3.5L only after having spent so much effort,time and money.

on the other hand,im considering buying an automatic hatch fro 6-7L by exchanging the Jetta.I know its a major downgrade and i can live with it,dont have much qualms over it as i would be at peace for the next 5 years.But,i dont see myself buying anything eve lose to the jetta in my lifetime.

regards
Sam
Sam.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 16:06   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
on the other hand,im considering buying an automatic hatch fro 6-7L by exchanging the Jetta.I know its a major downgrade and i can live with it,dont have much qualms over it as i would be at peace for the next 5 years.But,i dont see myself buying anything eve lose to the jetta in my lifetime.

regards
Sam
I went from a used to Civic to a new Swift. Though I am happy with the Suzuki but I do miss the space and the comfort offered by the Civic over the hatchback. Downgrading in the long term (5-6 years) may not keep you happy since most of us don't change cars very soon like in 1-2 years. There are hardly any hatchbacks which will offer the things like space etc that the Jetta did. Plus a big car is a big car. You will miss the salaam you get while driving the Jetta once you downgrade to a daily hatchback, I know I do
Old 23rd September 2019, 16:21   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I went from a used to Civic to a new Swift. Though I am happy with the Suzuki but I do miss the space and the comfort offered by the Civic over the hatchback. Downgrading in the long term (5-6 years) may not keep you happy since most of us don't change cars very soon like in 1-2 years. There are hardly any hatchbacks which will offer the things like space etc that the Jetta did. Plus a big car is a big car. You will miss the salaam you get while driving the Jetta once you downgrade to a daily hatchback, I know I do
Haha..I sure know i will miss the space and the sense of safety the 8 airbags bring.The car has new tyres as well.I cant think of anything else that needs immediate attention apart from the front struts and tie rods,and doorpad leather inserts that needs to be replaced or refixed.This is a gamble and that much im sure
Sam.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 08:45   #112
Senior - BHPian

I've stuck around with the Civic for almost 13 years now. Clocked more than 2,00,000 KMs. Sheer driving pleasure. Over the last few years, the maintenance and repair bills have been frequent and higher, but I'd still not blinked. The car still runs perfectly, planning one last trip to the Himalayas in November.

In February , I had driven it all the way to Auli, during snowfall, a 1000 KMs+ drive to and fro from Delhi. No issues whatsoever.

I know I can probably use it for another two years in Delhi without any qualms but I think it's better to say goodbye when its still running well.

The Hector will replace the Civic in a few months. Will it be as reliable? I've taken a leap of faith.
Old 30th September 2019, 21:04   #113
BHPian

HI Coolkurt
You would keep replacement vehicle for substantial period as last car Honda Civic. So I would advice you to go for Maruti Hyundai Toyota or Honda vehicles only.
Once esteemed and promising to stick in India Peugeot, Fiat, Opel, Chevrolet even Ford is on exit path ( having announced that Sales/ Service management would be done by Mahindra )
Consider Jeep COMPASS, it rode to good sales on initial euphoria of JEEP brand and a New Fresh Model, but now Indians have got Bored of that Brand and now its sales are dismal. In ALL likeliness JEEP would also close the Shop ( as FIAT has already downed shutters )

Morris Garage is way too Puny player and would leave India once their Cash Flow falls and BEFORE company starts accumulating Losses. ( as their vehicles sales would also Fall exponentially once they are amply visible in market and Public gets bored of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I've stuck around with the Civic for almost 13 years now. Clocked more than 2,00,000 KMs.

The Hector will replace the Civic in a few months. Will it be as reliable? I've taken a leap of faith.
Old 30th September 2019, 21:32   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning2 View Post
HI Coolkurt
You would keep replacement vehicle for substantial period as last car Honda Civic. So I would advice you to go for Maruti Hyundai Toyota or Honda vehicles only.
Once esteemed and promising to stick in India Peugeot, Fiat, Opel, Chevrolet even Ford is on exit path ( having announced that Sales/ Service management would be done by Mahindra )
Consider Jeep COMPASS, it rode to good sales on initial euphoria of JEEP brand and a New Fresh Model, but now Indians have got Bored of that Brand and now its sales are dismal.

Morris Garage is way too Puny player and would leave Indwia once their Cash Flow falls and BEFORE company starts accumulating Losses.
I had taken a leap of faith in 2009 and got the Fiat Grande Punto 1.4, which I kept for 10 years. Despite the way things have gone for Fiat, the Punto was and is my favourite hatchback.

The compass is a great car but it doesn't present itself as a vfm offering in the mind of the customer when compared with the new cars by Kia and MG.

MG has an interesting lineup ready for launch in the next two years so I'll take the risk.
Old 23rd November 2019, 13:07   #115

Driving a chevrolet beat LT petrol 2010 in 2019

So I have been driving a 2010 chevrolet beat LT petrol for the past 9 years and now I have driven just over 1,00,000 kms. Now the car has had its fair share of complaints and I had sorted out most of them. The biggest expense that I had recently was when my AC compressor failed. There was just too much load on the engine whenever the AC was turned on, that it literally stalled the car. So I had to get a new compressor. The service then costed around 20k. Recently when i was driving suddenly there was a sound of something breaking and my clutch pedal just went in. And it didn't return to the normal position. So I somehow parked it to the side of a small road and had it checked. I'm not an expert on car parts but what i felt was that the clutch cable had broken off. So i started going about in search of a mechanic. The sad part wass that even though i did go to around 4 mechanics none of them were willing to lay their hands on a chevrolet car. They either said that they don't repair chevrolets or that the spare parts would be difficult to obtain. Finally after an intense search I finally got a mechanic who agreed to have it looked. But then the problem was that the car was trapped in a small road where there was no scope of having the car towed. So finally what this guy did was that he actually started the car without the clutch. So now the car started and he took it to main road and had it towed. With the delay in obtaining the parts and everything I had it repaired for Rs 1500. Now there had been a difficulty in shifting the gears occasionally. Especially when I had it in first gear sometimes the car while running just wouldn't shift to second. I'd have to release the clutch and depress it again to have it shifted. But that was just a rare occurrence. But now after the incident with the clutch, the gear shifting is not at all smooth. Its as if its stuck at times. Sometimes even when you depress the clutch and you shift it makes the noise as if you haven't pressed the clutch. I had another mechanic check it and they say that it could be a complaint with the gearbox and that it will have to be checked. And even still they are not sure if the parts will be available. They quote something around 20-25k but I'm just not sure. I'm confused right now as to what is to be done with the car. The question is whether I should sell it off in this condition with whatever I can get, or should I get it repaired and have it driven for another couple of years. Also could someone advice me as to what all expenses could occur after 1 lakh kms? Please share your thoughts into this dilemma of mine.
Old 23rd November 2019, 13:29   #116
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driving a chevrolet beat LT petrol 2010 in 2019

This car is not going to get any resale value, be it now or after another couple of years. If this is your main car, it may make sense to replace it. If you use this for a few kms every now and then, repairing this could work but it'll be throwing good money after bad. If finances permit, get a new car!
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 15:13   #117
Senior - BHPian

Man this post has come at an odd time. This year my 2011 Beat has had lots of small and medium repairs done to it and since I had spent the money on the car with poor resale value and also because it was fine to drive and my running is low I decided to keep the car for another couple of years. Anyways BS6 is around the corner and decent electric and hybrid cars are not too far off so I feel it doesn't make sense to get a new car right now, leave alone the economic downturn which won't let me afford the car I want to buy.
So anyways one idiot biker hit my car while driving the wrong way and damaged the rear bumper so I had given it for painting. There was also a small dent and rust on the running board towards the front so I decided to get that also sorted. My painter called me in and showed me a lot of rest under the front fender and the inside of the wheel well under the cladding was also perforated by rust probably due to water being trapped between the cladding and panel.
He's saying it's quite likely to have spread into other areas and that I should sell it off before the next monsoons because fixing it will cost a lot maybe 50k odd on a car with an optimistic 1lakh value. I'm in a quandary now as to what to do. Funds as well as changes in technology means that buying a new car in summer is not possible. I'm thinking of the second hand market to buy a used i10 (hopefully auto) or old Jazz of similar vintage for around 2.5 lakhs and keep that for 2-3 years before buying a new car. Or most likely keep my Beat for another year and then decide which is my preferred choice since it's not in any immediate danger of disintegrating and drives well plus I love my car which is the feeling I had immediately after getting her back from the painter.
I'm quite confused

Also @Abhishek : A clutch overhaul should cost a lot less. I got mine done for about 6500 a couple of years ago

Last edited by Mortis : 23rd November 2019 at 15:14.
Old 17th January 2020, 16:38   #118
Senior - BHPian

Should I Change or Keep My Car After 1,00,000KM

This could be like a weird post. And i feel so much naive as its been quite a few years since i've posted on this forum. Moreover I am totally confused. I'm Hoping this will not get deleted by mods as my confusion percolates into my post below.

Straight to the issue at hand
1. My Renault Lodgy 110PS has completed 1,00,000km and is just out of warranty.

2. Though currently everything has been sorted out and there are no issues at hand, I'm scared that this might start burning a hole in my pocket since it has crossed 1L km.

3. Checked the Marazzo but was unimpressed. The car felt so much like a Taxi to me. The gear throw was so long and positioned too high to my liking. Never felt like a family car in the short TD that i did.

4. I have never been a fan of Maruti due to my own reasons.

5. Don't really want to move to a 5 seater as i have been pampered by the practicality of the Lodgy and moreover we travel with 6 people on many occasions.

This leaves me with the BIG Dilemma!

1) Should I look for a replacement just because the lodgy has crossed 1 lakh km AND it is out of warranty AND it has been out of production? Or should i decide to hold on to it for a couple more years.

2) If at all it is logical to sell because it has crossed 1 lakh km AND is out of warranty AND is out of production... What do you guys think is the best bet now?
Old 17th January 2020, 16:59   #119
Senior - BHPian

Re: Should I Change or Keep My Car After 1,00,000KM

As a rule of thumb, if the value of upkeep for the next 4 years is touching or greater than the current market value of the vehicle, then it may be right to sell it soon.

However, if the suspension is overhauled, timing belts and clutches changed and you don't foresee any surprise expenses apart from injector/pump failures, then it makes all sense to keep the car for long.
Old 17th January 2020, 17:05   #120
Senior - BHPian

Re: Should I Change or Keep My Car After 1,00,000KM

You haven't mentioned how old your Lodgy is. You don't like Maruti and didn't like the Marazzo so the only option is going to be the Innova Crysta. Which is going to be pretty expensive visavis the Ertiga and the Marazzo. Try out the Hexa with the discounts you may get a solid deal!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks