Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2006, 11:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Underbelly Protection

Hai BHPns,

I searched and found a thread on Paint and underbelly protection. I have some doubts like:

1. July, 2005, my new fusion got underbelly coat from ford. Subsequently, it has scrapped some bumps and stones and the metal is clearly visible in some areas.

2. Rust can creep through these spots and damage the metal. Also there can be unseen breaches in the underbelly coating where the paint has thinned out.

3. Do we need to do a once-over every year or just touch it up with some anti-rust paint? Ford says what they use is a reasearched rubber-based paint which is not available anywhere else.

4. Which is the best anti-rust off the shelf underbelly product which we can use ourselves?

Thanks in advance for the info.

-- Ramky

--------
Old 16th September 2006, 13:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dude, u dont have to worry about the underbelly much.
Just paint/spray it with dinitrol every 2 years or so if u're living near the sea.
PS:Where do u live?
Old 16th September 2006, 13:02   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1
Hai BHPns,

I searched and found a thread on Paint and underbelly protection. I have some doubts like:

1. July, 2005, my new fusion got underbelly coat from ford. Subsequently, it has scrapped some bumps and stones and the metal is clearly visible in some areas.

2. Rust can creep through these spots and damage the metal. Also there can be unseen breaches in the underbelly coating where the paint has thinned out.

3. Do we need to do a once-over every year or just touch it up with some anti-rust paint? Ford says what they use is a reasearched rubber-based paint which is not available anywhere else.

4. Which is the best anti-rust off the shelf underbelly product which we can use ourselves?

Thanks in advance for the info.

-- Ramky

--------
dont they check it every 6 months i got my underbody coating done bye auto n care with 5yrs warranty they check it every 6 months
Old 16th September 2006, 13:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

U guys care too much about the chassis.
It aint a biggie unless u're planning to own the car so long that u'd lend it to ur grandkids travelling to college.
Old 16th September 2006, 14:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re Sale And Rust ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Dude, u dont have to worry about the underbelly much.
Just paint/spray it with dinitrol every 2 years or so if u're living near the sea.
PS:Where do u live?
Hi,

I live in Ahmedabad; I don't have a 5 year plan on the car

When I sell, the porspective buyer will looks at rust and condition, so protecting it has a commercial value. I have noticed that the corners, hinges and bottom protions of doors are the first victims and also the underbelly. When people buy they look for these tell-tale signs before putting a value to the vehicle.

I am not aware that they check and paint the underbelly as part of the warranty / Total Maintenance plan. Will ask the workshop guys.

Tnx ---- Ramky

------------------
Old 16th September 2006, 21:51   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771
dont they check it every 6 months i got my underbody coating done bye auto n care with 5yrs warranty they check it every 6 months
Same thing here..got the Under Body Rust Protection done from AutoNCare here,and with a 5 years warranty on it..
I take it to them once a year to get it checked..
-sr
Old 19th September 2006, 05:09   #7
BANNED

Quote:
got the Under Body Rust Protection done from AutoNCare here,and with a 5 years warranty on it..
What was the total cost for this ?

Quote:
What is dinitrol ? Would you please explain more ?
Old 18th November 2010, 12:40   #8
BHPian

Have just purchased a new Captiva. The dealer is recomending an under body rust protection coat costing rs 5500 with a 5 year warranty. What I want to know is , is this necessary to be done. As I understand the underbody is treated and painted and should not ordinarily require this.
On a separate note what about a teflon coating for the paint?, Not able to trace out any recent threads on the above 2 points
Old 18th November 2010, 14:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

vgsr don't get fleeced by the dealer and his under-body coating nonsense. You live in Bangalore and we don't live in close proximity to the sea and rust is really seldom seen at-least here.

Teflon coating , check this thread (Teflon Coating-dupont, Making Fool Or Wt?) should answer your queries.
Old 18th November 2010, 14:51   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgsr View Post
Have just purchased a new Captiva. The dealer is recomending an under body rust protection coat costing rs 5500 with a 5 year warranty. What I want to know is , is this necessary to be done. As I understand the underbody is treated and painted and should not ordinarily require this.
On a separate note what about a teflon coating for the paint?, Not able to trace out any recent threads on the above 2 points
The anti-rust coating is for the under-belly of the car and the engine; it is primarily black in colour.

Actually, this coating would have been more helpful and effective in the monsoon. However, it is still quite monsoon in Bangalore!
Nevertheless, I would recommend you get the coating done. (I have got it done on all my cars). It is not something you'd have to keep doing.

About teflon coating, it is for the body; it is mainly to ensure the car maintains shine and dull shots or where colour has come off brighten up.
Old 18th November 2010, 17:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgsr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
vgsr don't get fleeced by the dealer and his under-body coating nonsense. You live in Bangalore and we don't live in close proximity to the sea and rust is really seldom seen at-least here.

Teflon coating , check this thread (Teflon Coating-dupont, Making Fool Or Wt?) should answer your queries.
+1 to that.

@vgsr: You don't need underbody rust coating. The sheet metal used for making the body is already galvanised steel which has a coat of paint. Corrosion will only happen if your paint goes off, which will go even with your anti-rust paint. So I say skip it.

Teflon yes, you may want to do that.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks