Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2006, 12:58   #1
BHPian

tappet/engine noise on pulsar 180

hi guys ,

my P180 v2 (full black) is making lot of sound (tappet noise) from cylinder head when acclerating or climbing hills especially above 5000 rpm.so i'm forced to ride below 5000 rpm .fed up with this . wat to do ? also lots of vibrations above 5000 rpm .the power is also low i think. not feeling any power above 5k.
i paining me lot. told this at last service but in vein ... plz advice. my clocked only 6000kms
Old 17th September 2006, 14:37   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy
hi guys ,

my P180 v2 (full black) is making lot of sound (tappet noise) from cylinder head when acclerating or climbing hills especially above 5000 rpm.so i'm forced to ride below 5000 rpm .fed up with this . wat to do ? also lots of vibrations above 5000 rpm .the power is also low i think. not feeling any power above 5k.
i paining me lot. told this at last service but in vein ... plz advice. my clocked only 6000kms
from what u described it seems to be a lean setting of carb aimed by the dealer / mech for FE so just set to rich. if problem not solved adjust / set tappets when cold.
Old 17th September 2006, 21:36   #3
BHPian

plz tell what the ideal setting for the carb .ie ,no: of turns and which screw ??
Old 18th September 2006, 11:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy
plz tell what the ideal setting for the carb .ie ,no: of turns and which screw ??
bro ive never checked the carb of pulsar but from ur findings the lean setting is most common on 4strokes as ts mostly set for city riding.

ur mech could get it set for u within 15 minutes by moving the jet needle to get a richer mix. if u r a first timer to this its better u get it done from the mech and observe.

also for highway riding its best to set to a slightly rich setting so the engine is not starved of fuel and also it helps in cooling process.
Old 18th September 2006, 20:38   #5
BHPian

but i'm getting a mileage around 45kpl.doesn't this suggest that my carb setting is ok.ie, if the mixture is lean i shud have got more than that.
Old 19th September 2006, 11:56   #6
DRC
BHPian

Yes, I too think it is lean setting.. There is a air screw to be set properly.

Turn that completely closed (just stops rotating clockwise), then open it 2 and a half turns anticlockwise. This is the factory setting. Anything more will be richer, and an ything less leaner.

If you are too lean then you still get the poor FE, as it requires a lot of time to come to the desired rpm to shift next gear, hence remaining in lower gears longer resulting in poor FE. I used to have 3.5 turns, did not affect the FE either, but better power, Emmission may not be good though.
Old 19th September 2006, 20:20   #7
BHPian

mine is 4 turns. fe 42-45 kpl. no power at all.
Old 24th September 2006, 09:17   #8
BHPian

plz help as i'm fed up with this noise .bajaj service guys are sying the bike is in perfect condition

Most Viewed