Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2016, 07:58   #31
BHPian

Re: Dampers for the BMW 320d (F30) - Koni FSD vs Bilstein B6?

Update:

Went for a long drive on winding roads and a mix of smooth and partly rough patched surfaces. The small vibrations caused by the poor surface is felt a little more than the stock suspension while the larger undulations on the surface is soaked up better than F30's stock suspension. But it does not feel anything like a stiff suspension and it behaves better while soaking up the surface with a more dampened sound and feel which improves the comfort of the driver and occupants. It feels more 'German' now! Cornering ability has improved and if you push it, its that much more fun. Thankfully the roads were almost empty on Sunday afternoon and it was fun on the ghats to use paddles and maintain the pace through turns without feeling loss of traction. During hard braking on uneven surfaces at high speeds, it feels more sure footed than before.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 20:38   #32
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Update:

Went for a long drive on winding roads and a mix of smooth and partly rough patched surfaces. The small vibrations caused by the poor surface is felt a little more than the stock suspension while the larger undulations on the surface is soaked up better than F30's stock suspension. But it does not feel anything like a stiff suspension and it behaves better while soaking up the surface with a more dampened sound and feel which improves the comfort of the driver and occupants. It feels more 'German' now! Cornering ability has improved and if you push it, its that much more fun. Thankfully the roads were almost empty on Sunday afternoon and it was fun on the ghats to use paddles and maintain the pace through turns without feeling loss of traction. During hard braking on uneven surfaces at high speeds, it feels more sure footed than before.
Thanks for the details. Please see my experience update on

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4652082
ais is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 22:48   #33

What setup would you recommend on a 2012 BMW 320d - F30?

The car has clocked over 150k kms, and the suspension has worn out.

The stock suspension setup was really uncomfortable for the rear seat passengers on our highways, them being thrown up and down because of the road undulations and bridge gaps.

Have been reading intensively on various articles and post, haven’t been able to figure out the right setup. Would be great if anyone could help me out.
Old 13th September 2020, 09:21   #34
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsathyaraj View Post
What setup would you recommend on a 2012 BMW 320d - F30?
Would be great if anyone could help me out.
The detailed feedbacks are already there in this and other threads. Bilstein B6 will privide a planted ride. At speeds below 60-80kmph, the ride is 'bubbly', so you may want to check that out.

If you want to retain the present comfort oriented feel (until the rear flies off on expansion joints), you could consider changing the tyres to Michelin Primacy ZP RFT or non runflat Pilot Sports for a more compliant ride.

I have the stock shockabs on sale if you need. https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...bsorbers.html/
ais is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 13:53   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
Bilstein B6 will privide a planted ride. At speeds below 60-80kmph, the ride is 'bubbly', so you may want to check that out.

If you want to retain the present comfort oriented feel (until the rear flies off on expansion joints), you could consider changing the tyres to Michelin Primacy ZP RFT or non runflat Pilot Sports for a more compliant ride.

I have already made the switch to non runflats! The current tyres are Michelin Primacy 4 - 225 55 R17.

To have a comfortable ride within the city as well as the highways, is the stock more sensible option or the Bilstien B6?
Old 13th September 2020, 20:19   #36
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsathyaraj View Post

I have already made the switch to non runflats! The current tyres are Michelin Primacy 4 - 225 55 R17.

To have a comfortable ride within the city as well as the highways, is the stock more sensible option or the Bilstien B6?
Base your decision on who all use the car, and what your style is. If you use the car on highway at least 50% of running, then B6. If usage of car is in Bangalore city and speed are below 60-80 kmph, and comfort matters predominantly, stay on stock shockabs (margin due to road surface- on near smooth surface, B6 is good above 60, on rough suface, B6 starts leveling things out around 80). Please feel free to call me for clarification. I'm sure other members can also guide.
Old 29th April 2021, 19:32   #37
BHPian

Hi All,
I have a 2015 F30 320d. Its been very lightly used (just 21k kms) and babied (with goodies and upgrades as well) and I intend to keep it for another few years at least.

I have been thinking about adding the B6's but its a decent sized expense. I'm just worried about the "jiggly' ride in city (80% of my running) though I do like to stretch its legs and use the Stage 1 tune.

I would definitely appreciate the more planted ride on the highway runs where it can get quite bouncy at times at the rear.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Also to add I might be changing from the RFT's to tubeless in a few months so that's another thing to consider. Not sure if that will improve road manners (more grip possibly) and the bouncy ride at all.
Old 29th April 2021, 19:47   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish69 View Post
Hi All,
I have a 2015 F30 320d. Its been very lightly used (just 21k kms) and babied (with goodies and upgrades as well) and I intend to keep it for another few years at least.

I have been thinking about adding the B6's but its a decent sized expense. I'm just worried about the "jiggly' ride in city (80% of my running) though I do like to stretch its legs and use the Stage 1 tune.

I would definitely appreciate the more planted ride on the highway runs where it can get quite bouncy at times at the rear.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Also to add I might be changing from the RFT's to tubeless in a few months so that's another thing to consider. Not sure if that will improve road manners (more grip possibly) and the bouncy ride at all.
You can consider getting a set of Tein Endurapro plus dampers. You'll retain the stock ride height and also have adjustable damping. If you're okay with lowering ride height, go for a set of Bilstein b12s
dealer is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks