Team-BHP - ECU: Can it be traced to the original vehicle?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   ECU: Can it be traced to the original vehicle? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/171810-ecu-can-traced-original-vehicle.html)

Dear Gurus,

Kindly allow me to explain the problem, I have been facing.

I own 12 Indica Emax (CNG) vehicles, used as cabs. They are serviced and repaired at one particular Tata authorised service centre in Delhi.

Recently, one of the Indicas was not switching to CNG. Upon detailed inspection, it was found that the ECU had a problem. It was changed, the new one costed around ₹9000.

Now, ECU of another Indica has developed a similar problem, which I find hard to believe.

It might be coincidence, but I suspect, there might be something fishy at the service centre. There is a chance, that someone is trying to make a quick buck, by replacing our vehicle's ECU with someone else's and making money in the process.

My question is, can I somehow find out whether the ECU in my car is the one which came with it from the factory?

I did ask another service centre and they say, an ECM can surely be traced to the original vehicle, but not the ECU.

I have not yet ordered a new one yet, but will only do so when there is no other option left.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashutoshb (Post 3880265)
Dear Gurus,

Kindly allow me to explain the problem, I have been facing.

I own 12 Indica Emax (CNG) vehicles, used as cabs. They are serviced and repaired at one particular Tata authorised service centre in Delhi.

Recently, one of the Indicas was not switching to CNG. Upon detailed inspection, it was found that the ECU had a problem. It was changed, the new one costed around ₹9000.

Now, ECU of another Indica has developed a similar problem, which I find hard to believe.

It might be coincidence, but I suspect, there might be something fishy at the service centre. There is a chance, that someone is trying to make a quick buck, by replacing our vehicle's ECU with someone else's and making money in the process.

My question is, can I somehow find out whether the ECU in my car is the one which came with it from the factory?

I did ask another service centre and they say, an ECM can surely be traced to the original vehicle, but not the ECU.

I have not yet ordered a new one yet, but will only do so when there is no other option left.

In the earlier instance, the car was not switching to CNG. What symptom did you report in the second instance?

If you doubt a scam, please make some mark / signature on the ECUs of all other cars with a marker men. At least in future you will be able to know whether they belong to you or not.

What i advise you to do is get an OBDII toold and connect it to all of your cards and note down the physical hardware number and key ID of each of the ECUs.

Otherwise, this data will only be available at the factory level.