Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2016, 16:44   #16
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner - Turbo failure at 59,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopzdoc View Post
What say? The amount due from me will work to Rs 39000 which is moderately reasonable. Guys your opinion?
It is absolutely unreasonable. Let me tell you why.

1. You have clearly stated that the problem occurred in the warranty period. If it indeed was a turbo failure, it was wrong diagnosis from them. Whether this was deliberate or not is debatable since the vehicle was still under warranty.

2. Having experienced a blown turbo myself and having read extensively about it, I have noticed that Turbo chargers always fail with huge whistling/whining and with a huge puff of black smoke and NEVER with just a few lights on the console.

3. As a lot of experienced guys have suggested here, you really need to take the car to a different A.S.S. and get it checked. I did not read anywhere if this has been inspected by a Toyota technician or has the diagnosis been restricted to the dealer level. If it's the former, why not insist on getting it inspected by a Toyota technician?

4. If after all this, it is indeed a problem with the Turbo, there are quite a few Turbo experts in the Country who actually open and repair it. Check out anandpadhye's Tuscon thread for example. Since the vehicle is anyway not in warranty, why not give it a try? I'm sure it'll be a lot cheaper then 39k!

EDIT: Coming to the mathematics bit of it, if the dealer is meeting 1/3rd of the cost of the Turbo, then he is paying 39000 and you will have to pay 78000, no?

Last edited by Added_flavor : 6th January 2016 at 16:47.
Added_flavor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 17:01   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
It is absolutely unreasonable. Let me tell you why.

1. You have clearly stated that the problem occurred in the warranty period. If it indeed was a turbo failure, it was wrong diagnosis from them. Whether this was deliberate or not is debatable since the vehicle was still under warranty.

2. Having experienced a blown turbo myself and having read extensively about it, I have noticed that Turbo chargers always fail with huge whistling/whining and with a huge puff of black smoke and NEVER with just a few lights on the console.

3. As a lot of experienced guys have suggested here, you really need to take the car to a different A.S.S. and get it checked. I did not read anywhere if this has been inspected by a Toyota technician or has the diagnosis been restricted to the dealer level. If it's the former, why not insist on getting it inspected by a Toyota technician?

4. If after all this, it is indeed a problem with the Turbo, there are quite a few Turbo experts in the Country who actually open and repair it. Check out anandpadhye's Tuscon thread for example. Since the vehicle is anyway not in warranty, why not give it a try? I'm sure it'll be a lot cheaper then 39k!

EDIT: Coming to the mathematics bit of it, if the dealer is meeting 1/3rd of the cost of the Turbo, then he is paying 39000 and you will have to pay 78000, no?
Firstly after a turbo blows, it wont run for 6 months like what the OP has mentioned it will give away way before that. Looks like an actuator issue, but I may be wrong.

On the cost part, Toyota will bear 1/3rd, Dealer 1/3rd and the rest by OP.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 17:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Before getting the turbo change, please do check the vane actuator (mostly vaccuum assisted). A simple torn pipe can cause this. Hope the dealership has checked this. Do get a 2nd opinion.
Innova is vaccum assisted. Fortuner is electrically controlled.

They have checked all the connectors out of the turbo for moisture, since its a sealed unit they will not check inside.

Coming to the mathematics part of it, Toyota will bear 1/3rd, dealer another 1/3rd and me 1/3rd

Showing the vehicle in another A.S.S is quite difficult as there is only 2 authorised A.S.S in Kerala. The other A.S.S is 200km away. There are only small service outlets of the 2 A.S.S in smaller towns.

As far getting it checked by a Toyota technician, since Toyota India is paying 1/3rd the cost, I assume the diagnosis has been vetted by them.

Last edited by gopzdoc : 6th January 2016 at 17:18. Reason: addition of new matter
Old 6th January 2016, 17:17   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Coming to the mathematics part of it, Toyota will bear 1/3rd, dealer another 1/3rd and me 1/3rd
Dealer bearing 40k just as a good will measure? Wow!.. Well, I don't think this is what's really happening on the inside.

Take your vehicle to a different workshop and get a second opinion. Also, ask them to plug in a diagnostics tool and check what error code the turbo has thrown? If its just an electrical issue, then I'm sure you can get it repaired instead of spending more than a lac.
Old 6th January 2016, 17:44   #20
BHPian

This is extremely saddening. Something as integral as a turbo failing in a Toyota - a brand known for its reliability - is quite strange. I hope your issue gets sorted and you can enjoy your beast again.

On the technical aspect, I'd like to share what I think might be the case, although I am a rookie. The fact that there was no whistling or whining sound or black smoke when the turbo apparently failed suggests that it is an electrical/electronic issue and not a failure of any of the turbocharger's mechanical components. It could be the Wastegate control actuator,as nkrishnap said, or the Boost pressure sensor(not sure about this) or some other sensor in the turbo housing. Failing of any of these could lead to the engine going into limp mode as it does not know those parameters anymore and assumes a sort of worst-case scenario.
Moreover, what did they do last time that temporarily fixed the problem? If they say the failing component is in the sealed housing, how was it rectified before? As it ran for a few months after that, its certain that the turbocharger itself is working fine. :/
Have they done anything to the car after the 2nd instance? How come they could not figure it out the first time?
Like many others, I too would suggest you get it diagnosed from an independent garage, if you can't find another Toyota A.S.S nearby.
Old 6th January 2016, 17:57   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Innova is vaccum assisted. Fortuner is electrically controlled.
Okay! so its stepper motor controlled, then they should be able to replace the motor alone if that has failed. Web search gives http://gcg.com.au/turbo-parts/actuat...oyota-specific about $ 790 which will translate to the current cost estimate?

If they are replacing the complete turbo unit (including motor) at the price quoted, it is worth it. But if it is stepper motor alone then they are not offering any discounts
Old 6th January 2016, 18:33   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Dhanush, absolutely no symptom from the turbo as such. As I mentioned earlier the turbo as well as the vehicle behaves perfectly alright in between these limp episodes.
BTW how do you get these error codes?
I had the exact same problem with my Cruze at about 80,000km. I lived with intermittent limp modes for another 20,000km during which I tried many concoctions of fluids to go with my diesel as error codes pointed to F.I.P failure.

When I had approached the service center they asked my to change the fuel pump and after few weeks another service center( not authorized) mentioned turbo failure. I have given in detail all that I had been through during that harrowing 20,000km in another forum including the fault codes that used to come up on my mobile phone app using torque pro. The dangerous part was when over taking another vehicle. Limp modes in such situations is a killer in Kerala. My daily route is Kakkanad, Ernakulam to Chelad, Kothamangalam a distance of 49km and back where numerous overtakes are required and now with the Metro construction going on the traffic is horrendous.

Before you hand over your vehicle for the turbo charger change I suggest you add plain mineral(not synthetic) 2T oil used in auto rickshaws to your diesel. I used 2T oil from Bharath Petroleum.
The first dose was 100ml for 60 liters (which cleared the limp mode in about 100km) and after that I have been using about 20-40ml for 60 liters. 40ml for high speed highway runs between Coimbatore and Ernakulam and 20ml for puttering around town and up to Thrissur. If I dose it below 20ml the issue crops up in about 1000km. My Cruze was massaged by Siddarth to about 193bhp and 395Nm torque when it was 25000km old and I was warned to go easy on the accelerator (below 1800rpm) for 10 minutes in the morning and 2minutes before shut down. No idling was advised before shut down. Nearly stock till 1700rpm and nirvana after that. It is still on its original everything including clutch plate. Only tires, brake pads, fluids and wiper blades have been changed and one brake light. It's now at 1,45,000km. Yours could be an electrical gremlin with the turbo unit and if that is confirmed then the 2T is not going to help you.

Bharath Petroleum at Padamughal and Irrumbanam provides extremely clean and dry diesel which requires a lubricating additive to go with the diesel; this is what I have been told by Taxi operators.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 6th January 2016 at 18:43.
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2016, 12:31   #23
BHPian

The latest update of the issue

As mentioned earlier Toyota agreed to meet 1/3 the cost of the turbo, the dealer another 1/3 and I was supposed to meet the final 1/3rd. My share would come to roughly around 40000. After thinking it over for a couple of days I agreed to the same. The thought process behind it was mainly 2

1) Turbo is after all a critical part of the engine. I basically did not want any jugaad to be done. The situation in Chennai and other major cities may be different but the service centres in Cochin were not very confidence inspiring as far as servicing of a component like turbocharger goes.

2) The cost part of the equation was another factor. Perhaps as someone mentioned it would be much cheaper to get it serviced from outside but how much cheaper? My calculation was that it would cost close to 20000 to have the turbocharger repaired outside. Was it really worth to have it repaired outside to save 20000? In my mind was a big NO.

Again as someone mentioned the issue was a pre existing one and the company was bound to replace it completely free of cost even though the vehicle was out of warranty. I agree completely, but sadly the situation in India for a customer is not very rosy as is evident from the posts in this very forum. After duly weighing the pros and cons of the situation I agreed to the deal.

Immediately on acceptance I was informed that the turbocharger was available in Bangalore at the factory and the work would be completed in 2 days.

The very next day the customer service manager called and said that Toyota is insisting on a new gasket for the new turbocharger as the old one may not be in pristine condition. Unfortunately the part was not available in India and had to be procured from abroad and it would take a minimum of 2 weeks for the same. Though disappointed I was given a loaner Innova for the same period.

The work was completed on 18th January and I had to pay 40800 as my share of the total bill. The fortuner is running as normal now and I'm satisfied with the work done Toyota Fortuner - Turbo failure at 59,000 kms-imageuploadedbyteambhp1453618720.866483.jpgToyota Fortuner - Turbo failure at 59,000 kms-imageuploadedbyteambhp1453618804.024876.jpg
gopzdoc is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks