Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2016, 10:09   #1
BHPian

Yeti problem and an experience with Skoda's roadside assistance

I have a 3.5 years old Skoda Yeti 4x4

A month back on a long trip I heard minor noises from the engine. I submitted to the service centre in Mumbai and they returned the car saying they couldn't find any thing wrong.

Four weeks later on another long drop the engine started making noises. Some kind of knocking. It would increase when I pressed the clutch And go away when I depressed the accelerator. Then it wouldn't repeat. Then it would.

I called Roadside Assistance (I had bought the plan) and they said all they could do was tow the car for free to the nearest service station. I asked if it was possible to send a mobile van with an engineer who could evaluate if I could continue driving till Mumbai (this happened near Pune) or not. Since I live in Mumbai it's difficult to keep making trips to a service centre in Pune. I am sure they will take more than a day. This is Saturday evening.

Roadside Assistance kept telling me all they could do is free tow. They made me speak to a service technician on the phone but it didn't help much since we couldn't identify the problem.

(My engine oil cap on top of the engine plastic cover had a small deposit of leaked oil around it. This is not normal. I don't know what that means. The engine oil levels seem to be normal. There don't seem to be any leaking drops under the car. )

I called local Skoda service centres. They asked casually to stop the car on a Monday. I requested me being outstation if they could help I. Any way. Nope. Monday.

So I am stuck outstation despite having 24x7 road side assistance.

I wish Skoda had a mobile service unit. Maybe they could give me a temporary fix so I could drive 165 km to Mumbai and at least be at my home service centre.

Will post from the service centre tomorrow.

Last edited by GTO : 11th January 2016 at 13:30. Reason: Typos
Old 11th January 2016, 11:16   #2
BHPian

re: Yeti problem and an experience with Skoda's roadside assistance

So I am at the service centre in Pune since 9am (it's 11:15 now) and they haven't been able to give me a clear picture of time and cost.

The problem has been identified only by listening to the sound : the flywheel is misaligned, would also mean new parts for clutch, related bearings and bolts.

I was told an estimate of over RS 80,000/-. But when I pointed the flywheel should be covered under extended warranty, they searched through documents and agreed.

I still await in final total cost and time. It seems parts will have to be shipped from Aurangabad and I have been given time lines first for 'tomorrow evening' to 2-3 days, then 3-4 days, then about 5 days.

Waiting. Anyone has thoughts on this? I need to go to Mumbai. Can't keep sitting here.

Last edited by GTO : 11th January 2016 at 13:31. Reason: Typo
Old 11th January 2016, 13:41   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Yeti problem and an experience with Skoda's roadside assistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by parambyte View Post
I was told an estimate of over RS 80,000/-. But when I pointed the flywheel should be covered under extended warranty, they searched through documents and agreed.
Well done!

Quote:
It seems parts will have to be shipped from Aurangabad and I have been given time lines first for 'tomorrow evening' to 2-3 days, then 3-4 days, then about 5 days.
Getting stuck out of town with a high-end vehicle always poses such problems. Luckily, you aren't too far away. Mumbai-Pune are well connected and only 2.5 hours apart.

You should be taken care of, as Skoda's website says:

Quote:
Taxi services
Local taxi arrangement to reach the destination if the breakdown location is beyond 50 kms but less than 100 kms

A suitable hotel accommodation

Arrangement for onward journey / back to the ŠKODA registered address by the most suitable means

Repatriation of repaired vehicle
Or you could just rent a self-drive car from Pune and go back over the weekend to pick your Yeti up. Personally, I wouldn't trust a workshop driver to return my car via the highway.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 13:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I am at the service centre in Pune since 9am (it's 11:15 now) and they haven't been able to give me a clear picture of time and cost.

The problem has been identified only by listening to the sound : the flywheel is misaligned, would also mean new parts for clutch, related bearings and bolts.

I still await in final total cost and time. It seems parts will have to be shipped from Aurangabad and I have been given time lines first for 'tomorrow evening' to 2-3 days, then 3-4 days, then about 5 days.

Waiting. Anyone has thoughts on this? I need to go to Mumbai. Can't keep sitting here.
There are many BHPians in Pune and one of us can help you, if needed.
Where exactly in Pune are you stuck up? What help do you need right now?

Since you are a newbie on the forum, I am not able to send you a PM.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 14:52   #5
BHPian

Hi Guys! Thanks for the support! I am staying with a friend on Law College Road. I like the idea of a self driven car. Hadn't thought of it.

So the verdict was, I am apparently getting the fly wheel replaced under extended warranty but it seems they will replace my clutch plate and some related stuff (bearings, bolts etc) totalling "between 25-30k".

And the vehicle will be delivered next week on Wednesday. That's a rather long time, but I couldn't negotiate a shorter time. The spares it seems come from Aurangabad, which isn't that far away from Pune, but they seem to have processes which take time.

I wish they could have done something so I drive the car back to Mumbai and then get this whole thing done there. Unfortunately that hasn't happened either.
Old 11th January 2016, 15:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wish they could have done something so I drive the car back to Mumbai and then get this whole thing done there. Unfortunately that hasn't happened either.
If you want, you can hire a flatbed, take your car back to Mumbai and have it repaired at your usual workshop. Why spend so much money at an unknown place? It'll be easier to follow up and track the repairs too.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 11th January 2016 at 15:03.
Old 11th January 2016, 17:39   #7
BHPian

Flatbed was costing some over RS 25 per Km totalling some RS 10,000/- as they will charge both ways :(
parambyte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 23:01   #8
BHPian

Hi Parambyte,

The issue I have faced with my 3 year old Yeti 4by4 is eerily similar. Around two months back, while driving near Pavagadh, near Baroda, the engine started giving a "Kat Kat" sound. (My base location is Mumbai). I stopped the car, and was worried about some serious engine Damage. Called Skoda 24by7 and they said free towing if only within 100 km of base location. Was getting late at night so got the car towed from a local towing van to my Parents place in Baroda. Took the car to the Baroda ASC, who diagnosed it as a faulty Flywheel and gave an estimate of 85k. But they told me, gave me in writing it was ok to drive to Mumbai, so did that. In Mumbai Autobahn agreed with the diagnosis but could not reliably reproduce the problem as the sound came only occasionally. They have asked to drive the car under observation and bring back if the sound comes constantly. About warranty repair, initially they mentioned it's not covered under warranty, but when I pushed, they said we will try to get it approved with Skoda.

I have since then driven the car, and the sound has only been noticed a couple of times. I need to take it back to Autobahn and push them for under warranty replacement of the flywheel atleast. Thanks for sharing your experience, this gives me a reference point.
bobbafett is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 16:46   #9
BHPian

@bobbafett If you have extended warranty, do check the papers carefully. I saw them as a pdf at the service centre, and flywheel is included.

Since I drive a lot on highways, I felt best to keep the car in tip top condition. I do hope they give me the car on the due date.
Old 12th January 2016, 21:28   #10
BHPian

@ parambyte & bobbafet,

Could you guys please share the odo reading of your Yeti, if you dont mind?
Old 15th January 2016, 08:52   #11
BHPian

Mine's 38,000 plus. I don't ride the clutch and I haven't been to any really off-road locations. I was wondering why the flywheel should get misaligned. I was told "it happens".
parambyte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 10:34   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Mine's 38,000 plus. I don't ride the clutch and I haven't been to any really off-road locations. I was wondering why the flywheel should get misaligned. I was told "it happens".
Mine has done 32K odd kms.
I do not ride the clutch at all. I try as far as possible to shove it into neutral when in stop start traffic situations and traffic lights.
I change to first when climbing speed breakers from "dead halt" or "slow speed" situations.

Ive taken my Yeti off road when it was quite brand new - some places in Ooty and Coorg etc but nothing too serious.

So far its been behaving nicely and I am hoping it continues to do so.

The only other person who has driven this vehicle is the same regular bloke from the service centre who drives it clear across Bangalore from HSR to KR Puram service centre and back around once or twice a year.

Lets hope my vehicle remains peaceful the way it has been.
Old 15th January 2016, 13:38   #13
BHPian

My Yeti has done 49k kilometers. Off-roading has been limited to a little bit done in back roads in Chikamagalur, and some bit on snow in Narkanda. Lot of driving on bad roads though on road trips. Lot of highway trips with a relaxed driving style primarily. Don't ride the clutch and shift to neutral.
bobbafett is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 17:46   #14
BHPian

Had similar problem, but my clutch was completely done, as in car wouldn't move even in gear. Send it near by service, diagnosed to be clutch + flywheel, didn't argue as I was stupid enough to take it off-road to places strictly out of reach of soft roader plus the car was driven by my mom who is a clutch driver to the limit. Anyway cost came to 70k, got it done in less than a week. After that you could really feel the difference in power and stalling has reduced too.
A very expensive lesson learnt at just 38k kms.
Old 18th January 2016, 11:52   #15
BHPian

So I got a call from the service centre TODAY, 8 days after depositing my car, saying my flywheel will arrive only after Thursday, but they can't say which day.

That's a classic old story with Skoda. They can never really say when the spares will arrive.

And this same fellow was telling me on the 10th Jan, if I paid in full instead of claiming warranty, I could get the flywheel in two days. Wonder how. Is this a way too pressurise customers NOT to claim warranty? Cant really say, but I am pretty annoyed without my car.

Most Viewed