Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2009, 22:01   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
Wow, you kept the car for 10 years! Thats excellent. Normally people get bored in 2 to 4 years with so many cars coming into the market but then selling in such a short time pinches the pocket really hard.
UNO owners are a rare breed and they happen to love their cars no matter what!

Getting back to topic:
As long as there is no defective or low-quality part in the car and if the owner is maintaining/caring for the car properly, there is no reason that (he/she/it) should fail!
Old 13th April 2009, 01:39   #77
Team-BHP Support

My maamaji-in-law recently got his Indica overhauled, after 2,47,000 kms.
Old 13th April 2009, 02:43   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Yesterday I sold my Uno which was registered in March 1999. Run 1.2L kms and engine, gearbox, PS still in very good condition and never repaired so far.
WOW,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post

Getting back to topic:
As long as there is no defective or low-quality part in the car and if the owner is maintaining/caring for the car properly, there is no reason that (he/she/it) should fail!
Make it Fiat owners!

I bought a 1989 Premier Padmini in 1992 with 30K on the odo. I replaced the clutch & pressure plates around 45K Km. The engine was overhauled and bodywork was done around 85K Km. The A/c. compressor needed an overhaul around 1 lakh km. Never touched the gear-box. I also changed the 'chassis' or sub-frame for engine somewhere in all those years. I reluctantly sold the car after it had done around 1.4 lakh Km. in 2007 as spares were getting scarce. If I had a reliable source of spares I would have loved to keep the car forever.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2009, 11:45   #79
Senior - BHPian

Be Original, buy Original

My thoughts on the topic:

Modern cars are designed to run without any problems, provided you carry out services at recommended intervals and use genuine parts whenever a service is required.

One thing every car owner has to face though is the cost of disposables, such as the air filter (needs to be changed at every service for most cars), fuel filter, spark plugs (on petrol cars). These are periodical changes and are written in the owners manual itself.

As the car grows older, you will have to go in for expensive replacements. No matter how well you treat the car, things like the clutch, the AC compressor and suspension components will take a beating in the long run. As the car approaches 50K, these things will have to repaired/replaced. Again, it is recommended that only genuine parts are used, even though they are much more expensive than locally made parts. Remember, things like a set of clutch plates or a suspension damper are key to the running of the car. Replacing them with cheap spurious parts may be economical, but will cause you a lot of heartburn in the long run.

As for your Mitsu's case, dont worry too much. The Cedia comes with quality components and is designed to run for long without causing any nightmares. Drive safe, and stick to company certified spares.
Old 13th April 2009, 11:55   #80
Senior - BHPian

Have run my Esteem for 1.02L kms,my 800 has done 1.55L, my RX100 has done 1.5L kms and my Padmini 1.10L kms till date. Have had absolutely no problems engine and gear box wise with any of them and none of them have been rebored as of now. Just get the regular services done and engine oil and engine oil filters changed every 5000kms. My Kinetic has done 1.13L kms but has been rebored at the 90K mark. However, the Kinetic was used by all and sundry for all sorts of jobs and was not well maintained for about 6 years between 1999 upto 2005.
Old 13th April 2009, 12:05   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
it is recommended that only genuine parts are used, even though they are much more expensive than locally made parts.
Just an observation: Most folks I come across, consider that geniune spares are only got at the authorized service centres. The cheaper stuff in the open market is considered non-genuine. However, this is not so. Knowing where to source your parts is the trick in this game.

As a case in point, a friend needed to change both the ORVMs on his NHC (Type3). A.S.S asked for Rs.2700 each. We procured the same, geniune Honda beyond a doubt, pre-painted (white), @ Rs.1300 each.
Old 13th April 2009, 12:18   #82
Senior - BHPian

My dad's OHC VTEC (2001) has done 1.3L kms till date but he has had to spend quite an amount of money on spares (mostly ard 1L km range). Till date he has had to replace the steering column (PS i guess), O2 sensor and i think shock absorbers. Engine still looks in fine condition though.
Old 13th April 2009, 12:49   #83
Senior - BHPian

Paisa or Peace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Just an observation: Most folks I come across, consider that geniune spares are only got at the authorized service centres. The cheaper stuff in the open market is considered non-genuine. However, this is not so. Knowing where to source your parts is the trick in this game.
Absolutely! Every business has its own establishement costs to recover from the client (which is why the same plate of chowmein costs Rs 10 in a roadside stall and Rs 100 in a proper restaurant). Same reason why a company authorized service centre (which has a full facility to maintain along with several trained staff on its payroll) will charge more for the same spare part than a parts wholeseller will.

But remember, once you go out into the open market to look for Company Authorized Genuine Parts, you have to keep your eyes and ears open for convincing looking fakes! Unless you know someone who will not sell you fakes, and will charge genuine rates.

As a case in point, I have a (school batchmate) friend who runs a wholesale shop for 2 wheeler parts in Kolkata. He sells Company Authorized GPs to me for almost half the price that the Bajaj Service centre charges. I simply have to take them to my trusted mechanic who gets them fitted.

Unfortunately, I dont have a reliable contact who sells Hyundai spare parts. So for my Verna, I go to the company service centre. The trade-off for the extra cost is the peace of mind!
Old 13th April 2009, 17:18   #84
Senior - BHPian

zen carb life

what is the life of Zen carb engine. My zen has done 110,00 KMS. how much more will it run. my dealer told it can go up to 4L KMS

will it go till 2L KMS atleast
Old 13th April 2009, 18:05   #85
BHPian

My qualis has done 2 lac kms and still going strong. Sierra had done around 1.2 lacs and Innova is going strong at 90k. Out of all these I feel Qualis will go on and on and on....
Old 13th April 2009, 18:17   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Talk about that! My neighbour got a pre-owned UNO 6 years back.
Only to be sold for another 1.6er. Yes, Palio 1.6 sports (Red).
Her slogan: Once a FIAT, always a FIAT!
I always pester her to sell it off to me if she is going for the Linea .
Old 13th April 2009, 18:25   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
what is the life of Zen carb engine. My zen has done 110,00 KMS. how much more will it run. my dealer told it can go up to 4L KMS

will it go till 2L KMS atleast
I had a Zen that did 1.8L and then I sold it - got bored with it and bought the Swift. The engine was still going great guns.
Old 13th April 2009, 18:26   #88
Senior - BHPian

Guess many engines, especially the japanese ones are made to run 500000 kilometers, under normal non stressful conditions. I have seen so many camry taxis in dubai with odos reading jaw dropping numbers but the car feeling as good as new! 200000 kilometers is very common. In India the maximum I have seen was on this old ambassador we used to hire for our trips out of town with more than 5 people, it read some 3.4 lakh plus. But yes, routine visits to workshop and maintenance!
Old 13th April 2009, 18:51   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Guess many engines, especially the japanese ones are made to run 500000 kilometers, under normal non stressful conditions. I have seen so many camry taxis in dubai with odos reading jaw dropping numbers but the car feeling as good as new! 200000 kilometers is very common. In India the maximum I have seen was on this old ambassador we used to hire for our trips out of town with more than 5 people, it read some 3.4 lakh plus. But yes, routine visits to workshop and maintenance!

Are you sure that the taxi engine was not overhauled several times?
Old 13th April 2009, 18:58   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Are you sure that the taxi engine was not overhauled several times?
I thought i said many visits to the workshop! Overhauls many times!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks