Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2009, 19:14   #91
BHPian

Quality of Service must be kept in consideration

"dealer told it can go up to 4L KMS "

On many posts too much Mileage has been indicated , while that MAY be made feasible but people must borne certain IMP things in mind

1. a vehicle may run for really long distances or many Years as long as You keep maintaining it...but the Wear , Fatigue & Play between parts will inevitably creep in

2. considering "Engine" life only is not sanity ,, but Entire Power Train , Suspension must be factored in

3. Engine may definately keep running but Compression and thus Torque/Power will decline in due interval. This will add to Ur Fuel bills

4. Play between various Hard & Soft couplings of Power train will increasingly add to Response time of Vehicle

5. most mechanics don't fare well in Engine boring
Re-Bored engines are notorious for fast declining Compression & increased Engine vibration

6. Authentic Spare parts availability becomes doubtfull after few years only ,, More so nowadays since Manufacturers roll out multiple Models per Year and its Highly Un-Economical for them to supply spares for Old/Outdated or non-performing models

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
what is the life of Zen carb engine. My zen has done 110,00 KMS. how much more will it run. my dealer told it can go up to 4L KMS

will it go till 2L KMS atleast
Old 14th April 2009, 22:41   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Just an observation: Most folks I come across, consider that geniune spares are only got at the authorized service centres. The cheaper stuff in the open market is considered non-genuine. However, this is not so. Knowing where to source your parts is the trick in this game.

As a case in point, a friend needed to change both the ORVMs on his NHC (Type3). A.S.S asked for Rs.2700 each. We procured the same, geniune Honda beyond a doubt, pre-painted (white), @ Rs.1300 each.
Please share where you found the genuine stuff outside the authorised showrrom...
Old 15th April 2009, 03:42   #93
Senior - BHPian

Well I have heard of some surprising (read:Jaw dropping/eye popping) figures clocked by cars,but will discuss only those i know of myself.

1)Maruti 800 Dx '02--Belongs to a friend,has done 425000kms approx with no repairs yet.The car still nudges the other side of 100kmph on speedo but has become quite unrefined and loud.The only other problem is that it needs oil change relatively more frequently.

2)Indica DLS V2 '00--Belonged to dad's friend.Sold for 60000rs. at 3.5 lakhs kms.The engine was overhauled once at 2 lakh kms.

3)Daewoo Matiz '00--belongs to a friend and a fellow teambhpian. 1.3 lakh kms. No work on engine.Regular service only.He rips it alot and still nudges 130kmph on the speedo once in a while.

4)Hyundai Santro 1.1 '04--belongs to a friend and yet again a teambhpian. 1.5 lakh kms on odo.Car in pristine condition.Has been well maintained and looked after very carefully.

5)Maruti 800 '97--belongs to our family.My first car,got it when it had 85k kms on odo.Has done 1.2 lakh kms now.Ripped and abused by yours truly.Engine still very smooth.Gets serviced at 10000 kms.Performed decently 18 months back during a trip to Garhwal.took us through bad/no tarmac at 12000 fts.!! Thrashed and ignored now.Was operated at just 100ml of engine oil.Still no sign of losing in terms of performance and smoothness.The panels vibrate like hell,engine still as smooth as new.!! One of the most robust cars in my books.Love it alot for its never say die attitude.(touch wood)

6)Maruti Esteem VX '02--done 95000 kms.Regularly serviced.Mostly used in the city.Still no signs of losing power.Engine as good a performer as it always was.However I am not surprised because the car has been looked after very well.

7)Maruti Omni '95--done 3 lakh kms.Belongs to us,mostly used by drivers and for transportation from farms to the city.Hardly driven it so can't say about engine behaviour.Engine Overhauled at 2.5 lakh kms (for just rs.5000!!) Mechanic says will easily clock 1 lakh kms more.
Fingers Crossed.

8)&9)Our maruti baleno and maruti sx4,done 25k and 10k kms respectively.Baleno's engine has opened up nicely,what a terrific performer it is,dad's sx4 is mostly chauffeur driven,and i find it quite unrefined at some ranges.However these have hardly clocked amy mileage,and from our excellent experience from maruti suzuki cars,quite hopefull these may last long as well.

10)And i almost forgot this,neighbours OHC Exi '01----clocked 1.5 lakh kms,but as it is almost always tharshed,costed him around 40k bucks for work on engine and suspension recently,but that engine is still a delight to rev.Doesnt drink much as well.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 15th April 2009 at 03:47.
Old 15th April 2009, 03:51   #94
BHPian

A Toyota Qualis which i rented out one day for a long trip had 4.65Lakh kilometers on it's meter.
Old 16th April 2009, 16:16   #95
Senior - BHPian

Well...my Bolero Camper ran for 8.7 lakh kilometres before it required a re-bore. The engine was quite good till then but my driver failed to notice a leak from radiator hose which resulted in the engine getting over-heat and it was stuck.

Re-boring cost me about 15K, including overhauling of the Injection Pump. Did another 1.7 lakhs since then.
Old 16th April 2009, 16:35   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Well...my Bolero Camper ran for 8.7 lakh kilometres before it required a re-bore. The engine was quite good till then but my driver failed to notice a leak from radiator hose which resulted in the engine getting over-heat and it was stuck.

Re-boring cost me about 15K, including overhauling of the Injection Pump. Did another 1.7 lakhs since then.
8.7L before a rebore ? Mindblowing !
Old 16th April 2009, 16:50   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well...my Bolero Camper ran for 8.7 lakh kilometres before it required a re-bore.

That is a mindblowing set of numbers! Where do you use the car??
Old 16th April 2009, 16:54   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Well...my Bolero Camper ran for 8.7 lakh kilometres before it required a re-bore. The engine was quite good till then .

Are you sure thats not a typo? Even pan India trains dont clock so much!!

I'm sure Mahindra will want to put up that engine as a trophy piece in front on its factory . Wow!
Old 16th April 2009, 18:12   #99
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well...my Bolero Camper ran for 8.7 lakh kilometres before it required a re-bore.
Honestly, and no offence, but I find that very hard to believe. A senior Mahindra tech tells me that their IDI engines are good for 1.5 lakh, DI (including CRDI) for anywhere between 2.5 - 3.0 (if properly maintained throughout) and 3.5 only in exceptional circumstances.
Old 16th April 2009, 18:24   #100
Senior - BHPian

all though the engines are made to last for quite a lot of kms, i dont think the cars last for that long given our poor road infrastructure..so whats the point of having an engine that can last for 5 lakh when , mechanically otherwise, the car is in a poor shape much before

which possibly explains why in the western world and in middle east as someone mentioned, the odo reads a very high figure but the car still feels like new
Old 16th April 2009, 23:21   #101
Senior - BHPian

False Claim

Quote:

No offence meant directly, but thats one false claim!

Lets do some math, shall we? The Bolero Camper was launched in India on 16th January 2006. Assuming you bought it on that very date, your car's been on the road for 1186 days as on date.

As per what you said, your car's done 10.4 lakh kms (8.7 + 1.7) till date. That means the car ran (10.4 lakhs /1186 days) 876 kms every day! What does the car do? Replacement service for the Rajdhani?

I reiterate that this is not personal. I'm just trying to keep the post factual here.
Old 16th April 2009, 23:28   #102
BHPian

Kawasaki Bajaj KB100 RTZ

Hi Guys,

I bought a KB100RTZ in November 1988, and used it during my college days, and later during my initial years of working.

I have travelled many a miles on this bike and still have it for nostalgia. It has clocked over 120,000 kms with re-boring. I did get the rings changed once, but these were standard size i.e., 0 size.

After all these miles the bike has become sluggish and lacks response. I only start it occasionally, purely to keep it going.

I trhink for a 2 stroke it has done extremely well.

Regards

Jaskirat
Old 16th April 2009, 23:43   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
No offence meant directly, but thats one false claim!

Lets do some math, shall we? The Bolero Camper was launched in India on 16th January 2006. Assuming you bought it on that very date, your car's been on the road for 1186 days as on date.

As per what you said, your car's done 10.4 lakh kms (8.7 + 1.7) till date. That means the car ran (10.4 lakhs /1186 days) 876 kms every day! What does the car do? Replacement service for the Rajdhani?

I reiterate that this is not personal. I'm just trying to keep the post factual here.

WOw! these are some really well thought out calculations. Even I am amazed with that claim,considering that our '95 omni has not clocked even half of that mileage despite of being on road almost all the time.

EDIT--Wait-a-minute, I just remembered seeing a camper before '06 and on googling found that the bolero camper was launched in Q1 of 2002-03, however the launch date you have mentioned turns out to be of BOLERO CAMPER Dx, an upgraded variant of Bolero Camper. I guess your analysis needs some serious re-calculations.

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 16th April 2009 at 23:53. Reason: Addition of lines.
Old 17th April 2009, 10:00   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post

I guess your analysis needs some serious re-calculations.
yes, please rework the calculations. I guess it would be some 300 kms per day or so, if it was purchased very early after its launch. That is a fair number, right?
Old 21st April 2009, 14:22   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
yes, please rework the calculations. I guess it would be some 300 kms per day or so, if it was purchased very early after its launch. That is a fair number, right?

yes it's fair, but 8.7L without re-bore is just what I'm amazed at

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks