Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2016, 14:23   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh_sn View Post
Thanks for the useful info Fireblade007!!
My Manza has just crossed 60000 km. Engine is running butter smooth and I have had no issues of loss of acceleration or excessive smoke. I have got all 10K services done on time and from TASS only. But then, this thread has got me thinking now. I will now keep a close watch on oil level and exhaust gas.

OT: I hear conflicting views on timing chain replacement for 1.3L 90 bhp MJD/QJD/DDIS on the forum and elsewhere. Manza owners manual doesn't say anything about it. One TASS asked me to get it replaced during 60K service. An another TASS and an FNG said it's not required, so I didn't go for it. It is not cheap. I was quoted ~25K IIRC. I know this is nothing as compared to engine rebuild cost, but still..
I had changed my timing chain during piston rings change. I think the cost including labour was not more than 5k.
Old 23rd March 2016, 15:30   #17
BHPian

Re: Maruti SX4 ZDi: Experience with an engine rebuild at 70,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I had changed my timing chain during piston rings change. I think the cost including labour was not more than 5k.
Cost of timing chain itself isn't much. But the service advisor told me that along with the timing chain, few other parts such as water pump, chain sprocket, some oil seals etc. are also replaced. Cost of these parts plus the supposedly high labor charge for opening the engine adds up to 25K.
Old 23rd March 2016, 15:51   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh_sn View Post
Cost of timing chain itself isn't much. But the service advisor told me that along with the timing chain, few other parts such as water pump, chain sprocket, some oil seals etc. are also replaced. Cost of these parts plus the supposedly high labor charge for opening the engine adds up to 25K.
My engine was opened up and sent for lathe to change piston rings and head service. Timing chain and sprockets were also changed. Total bill was around 20k. 25k quote is really high for just timing chain change along with other necessary work without any major engine repairs like mine.
Old 23rd March 2016, 16:51   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
VGT, high pressure fuel pump and injectors are the only differences between 75 hp and 90hp 1.3 multijet engines. 90 hp engine is known for sudden drop in acceleration (no specific reason) and increased oil consumption requiring engine rebuild. There are few 75 hp engines too which required early engine overhaul. Extraction power from smaller capacity engines is the culprit I believe.
These are not the only differences. There are slight difference in pistons also I believe. Pistons of Swift ddis is different from that of Sx4 Ddis. The pistons of Ertiga Ddis and Sx4 Ddis are also not the same. These pistons have different part numbers in maruti after sales. I think we cannot comment on reliability of 90 bhp Ddis or 75 bhp Ddis as a whole. Reliability of each car will be different as their tunings are different. Different tunings means different pistons also.
Old 23rd March 2016, 17:26   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade007 View Post
These are not the only differences. There are slight difference in pistons also I believe. Pistons of Swift ddis is different from that of Sx4 Ddis. The pistons of Ertiga Ddis and Sx4 Ddis are also not the same. These pistons have different part numbers in maruti after sales. I think we cannot comment on reliability of 90 bhp Ddis or 75 bhp Ddis as a whole. Reliability of each car will be different as their tunings are different. Different tunings means different pistons also.
Engine block is same for both 75hp and 90hp. Bore x Stroke is also same. I am not sure about pistons. But 90hp gets a high pressure fuel injection pump(1600 bars pressure), VGT and different injectors. Obviously ecu map is different.
Old 23rd March 2016, 18:15   #21
kkg
BHPian

My inlaws' Ertiga zdi already has two (yes 2) engine rebuilds till date, one at 60k and another at 90k kms. SAs and mechanics at Maruti's own service center Naraina acknowledge that there are more problems with 90ps variant but are unable to pin point the exact cause and give various reasons from bad fuel to bad driving habits etc.

I myself saw more than two SX4 diesels getting thier engine done. Surely the little motor is stressed in 90ps guise.
Old 23rd March 2016, 19:21   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
My inlaws' Ertiga zdi already has two (yes 2) engine rebuilds till date, one at 60k and another at 90k kms. SAs and mechanics at Maruti's own service center Naraina acknowledge that there are more problems with 90ps variant but are unable to pin point the exact cause and give various reasons from bad fuel to bad driving habits etc.

I myself saw more than two SX4 diesels getting thier engine done. Surely the little motor is stressed in 90ps guise.
Sad to hear this. Could you share more details like what parts were changed? Also was it an overhaul or half engine change?
Old 23rd March 2016, 22:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post

Wow!! 2 engine rebuilds in such short internals!! Surely this engine is not able to bear the extra load. Seen multiple ertigas with gear synchro problems. Wonder what different msil has done in ciaz
Old 24th March 2016, 08:27   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Surely this engine is not able to bear the extra load.
I don't think this has to do with the Engine unable to bear the load. Have seen many 90 Bhp VGTs going on and one without a breakdown. My Ertiga done 87,000 Kms in over 2 Years and is my daily drive apart from the usual long trips I take up.

There is a colleague at work who picked up a used SX4 Zdi with 48,000 clicks on the Odo. The reading is too short to assess if the car is problematic but so far, so good too.

Another Bhpian ACS also has a SX4 VDi that is reaching the 1 Lac milestone and facing no issues.

Bhpian denver85 own an Ertiga Zdi that has crossed 1 Lac couple of months before with no engine issues (Except the infamous Synchronizer ring replaced under Warrranty)

Quote:
Seen multiple ertigas with gear synchro problems. Wonder what different msil has done in ciaz
First of all, No connection between the two - Engine Rebuild and Sync Ring and the problem is not limited to Ertiga alone. Its on the Swift as well.

Both denver85 (Ertiga) and another Bhpain from MP (Swift) have got the Sync rings replaced under Warranty. I have seen cases where these Sync rings have failed twice in under 80,000 kms too.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 10:34   #25
BHPian

Reading this thread has made me rethink on whether i should go ahead with buying a pre-worshipped sx4 diesel.

I was under the impression that diesel engines have a fairly long life but having to rebuild engine at 70-80k is just too hard to bear on the pocket.
Old 25th March 2016, 14:19   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Reading this thread has made me rethink on whether i should go ahead with buying a pre-worshipped sx4 diesel.

I was under the impression that diesel engines have a fairly long life but having to rebuild engine at 70-80k is just too hard to bear on the pocket.
You just need to be careful before buying any pre owned car with high mileage. In case of SX4 diesel, you can get the detailed service history from MASS. High pressure fuel pump, increased oil consumption, wheel bearing, gear synchroniser, lower arm etc needs to be checked here in particular.
Cheers
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 13:59   #27
BHPian

Completed 77500 kms.No issues till now.
Service updates. 71000 kms: Did an engine oil, oil filter change as the pistons are new. 75000 kms: Wheel alignment wheel balancing, break cleaning done.
76500 kms: Did engine oil, oil filter change. Measured the drained oil out of curiosity .The consumption was about 120 ml for 5500 kms, that means about 21 ml per 1000 kms. Maruti after sales didn't recommend this oil change. They told me it was enough to change oils at 10000 kms interval. I wanted to change oils at more frequent intervals. I am thinking of changing oils at an interval of 5000 kms to 7000 kms. What would be the best oil change interval for a rebuilt 90 bhp fiat multijet?
The car is running on its second set of tyres. When I had bought the car it was on its stock tyres( JK vectra) . At 46000 kms I had changed four tires to Goodyear Assurance which were bought at 5900 Rs per tyre. The good years might last for another 5000 kms. Had only one puncture with the Goodyears. They provides decent ride comfort and road grip.

Last edited by fireblade007 : 28th May 2016 at 14:01.
fireblade007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 23:34   #28
BHPian

82500 Kms update. Changed engine oil to Mobil Delvac 1 5w40. Car seems to be a little more smoother than when it was on the semi synthetic from after sales. Bought the engine oil at a price of 830 Rs from the distributor. Changed two tyres to Triangle Tr 978 SJHTT .Triangle is a Chinese tyre manufacturer which is popular among many dealers in my locality. Got each piece at a rate of 4500 Rs. All other tyres in the size 205/60 R16 start from a price of about 6200 Rs in my locality. After driving with them for about 1000 Kms feels that they are almost as good as the Goodyear assurance I were using. Good grip and decent ride comfort.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti SX4 ZDi: Experience with an engine rebuild at 70,000 kms-img_20160811_151544768x1036.jpg  

Maruti SX4 ZDi: Experience with an engine rebuild at 70,000 kms-img_20160811_151552768x1036.jpg  

Maruti SX4 ZDi: Experience with an engine rebuild at 70,000 kms-img_20160818_235250768x1036.jpg  

Maruti SX4 ZDi: Experience with an engine rebuild at 70,000 kms-img_20160818_235321768x1036.jpg  

Old 1st January 2017, 15:26   #29
BHPian

Completed 89500 kms. That is 20000 kms after the engine rebuild. Changed two more tyres to Triangle at 87000 kms. Changed engine oil and filter, break fluid , fuel filter , air filter, coolant at 89000 kms. The car is going fine . Measured the drained oil. The oil consumption was about 25 ml per 1000 kms. The oil used was again Mobil delvac 1 5w40. It has definitely better performance than the semi synthetic from MASS.
Old 1st January 2017, 16:47   #30
BHPian

Well this comes as surprise to see so many SX4 being rebuilt in 80-100K mark. I own a SX4 diesel that has done 132k in the last 5 years and has seen more mountains than most SUVs. She still is going strong, came back from a delhi-manali-sojha trip yesterday and there seems to be no drop in power despite all this running, touchwood!
My experience is simple, use Mobil 0-40 from day one and system D on most refuels. Never exceeded the 10k service mark and let the engine warm up and turbo cool.
I hope to see 2L on this car given the trouble free nature the only issue i have faced is the syncro rings going bad twice. Once in warranty at 38k and once at 90k the rest is super reliable jap that does over night trips with females on national highways!
adi_sun is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks