Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2008, 18:47   #31
Senior - BHPian

To re start an old thread again I find a lot of information on this thread for a drag-newbie like me. Although in for the fun, who likes to make a fool of oneself on the track. Expecting that I might be amongst the worst (if not the worst) in this years 1/4 mile drag, im still trying to gain all the knowledge I can to have a respectable launch. Will need to talk to a lot of you pros to help me do the right stuff. KS, Psycho etc...are you listening?
Have gone through various forums and pages and pages on the launching techniques but if anyone has a less complicated way (Launching at a drag for Dummies) kindly put it up here to help all of us first times and others who have still not got it right.

Last edited by V-16 : 28th February 2008 at 18:54.
Old 28th February 2008, 19:42   #32
BHPian

Also guys i have read another way of a perfect launch would be dump the clutch as soon as the orange light disappears from the christmas tree(traffic lighting), dont wait for it to go green. How many of you have tried this? i.e. without jumping the start?
Old 29th February 2008, 12:12   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Hey NC,

The start is the most important aspect of drag racing. Knowing your car/bike intimately is essential for a good start. You have to know at what rpm to dump the clutch at to get that perfect balance between too much or not enough wheelspin. Too much spin and you waste time, too little spin and you bog the engine down.

Rt
practce , practice , PRACTISE !!

bottom line is we need a damn circuit in/near our city
Old 1st March 2008, 02:53   #34

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

the best technique that works is use the handbrake,engage the 1st gear,release the clutch so that the engine power doesnt over power the handbrake,then start using the accelerato to increase the revs while balancing the clutch.At this point the car should be rocking i.e the load would have shifted to the rear wheels .Kee the revs near 3000-4000rpm and let go.you will launch without and wheel spins.
But keep in mind that you have to give the clutch some rest in between otherwise due to slipping it,it will overheat and wont work optimally.(dont perform two runs one after the other using this technique).
Old 3rd March 2008, 04:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
To re start an old thread again I find a lot of information on this thread for a drag-newbie like me. Although in for the fun, who likes to make a fool of oneself on the track. Expecting that I might be amongst the worst (if not the worst) in this years 1/4 mile drag, im still trying to gain all the knowledge I can to have a respectable launch. Will need to talk to a lot of you pros to help me do the right stuff. KS, Psycho etc...are you listening?
Ahem, shouldn't you be telling us?!

Don't listen to Mr Gogi X Singh! He went with a fully loaded car, with fat and useless rear tyres as well, to SR, and got the 2nd fastest time of the day in practice. And that's without any headwork, or cams or anything.

Most Viewed