Team-BHP - Dusting whats under the hood!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Dusting whats under the hood! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/1727-dusting-whats-under-hood.html)

Whenever someone posts a pic of their engine, its sparkling clean..
but look at mine

Look at area (2)... there's thick dirt over there, as my car is always parked on the road.

Now first thing.... can I just wash it? Just pour water into it?

(1) I don't know what happened here but the whole of this place has white spots!!... any Idea?

(3).. does this place rust in all cars?

By the way my car is going to be 4 years old soon!

You could pressure washit with diesel. And with water almost every month. That'll keep the engine compartment clean.

Oh forgot to mention... my car was serviced a month back!

to say but those white spots will not go.

Anyways what u'll have to do is wash/wipe the whole engine compartment with Car Shampoo to get rid of the dirt. And *then pressure wash it.

I would avoid jst spraying water into the engine compartment - can ruin electrics. Also the dirt build up prevents corrosion and shows you where leaks occur - patches etc. When you sell, the buyer can see it is an honest engine with nothing to hide !

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (ajmat @ Sep. 05 2004,18:55)]I would avoid jst spraying water into the engine compartment - can ruin electrics.

So how do you clean your engine bay?

well, it was Sunday today!... so before anyone else replied, I took V12's advise and washed my engine bay with clean water, took my time and washed it properly. Then dried it with a cloth and I am done.

Then started the car after 15mins.. and parked it where it was supposed to be. All electronics perfect till now.

Well ajmat, all car manuals say that dirt built-up increases corrosion, otherwise why would a clean painted/polished surface corrode?

I also cleaned all the wheel arches, which have the most built-ups.

The car is cool now..

Pardon my ignorance, but which car is that SLK?

mvk

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]the buyer can see it is an honest

and dirty
Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]engine

I doubt it'll cause much problems in the electrics. You could just cover those parts with plastic or something. We clean our Qualis engine bay almost every week with diesel. And it still looks new. I'll post a pic of it some day.
Hey how abt everybody posting their engine pics here

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (ajmat @ Sep. 05 2004,18:55)]Also the dirt build up prevents corrosion

Doesnt dirt attract moisture and hence speed up the corrosion

cya
R

hey slk , which car is it?

wash ur engine bay with some diesel, then pressure rinse it down, if u got access to compressed blow the compartment dry and finally regular drying using cloth for areas which are accessible.. i do this once a month.. and regular wiping using cloth in the weekends (sadly not happening now a days)

those white spots are oxidation and might not be easy to remove them, u will have to remove the engine cover take it to a polishing shop n get it buffed..

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Jaggu @ Sep. 06 2004,11:55)]those white spots are oxidation and might not be easy to remove them, u will have to remove the engine cover take it to a polishing shop n get it buffed..

Aluminium engine covers look damn sexy when buffed. Should go for it and then continue with regular cleaning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rudra Sen @ Sep. 05 2004,19:07)]
Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (ajmat @ Sep. 05 2004,18:55)]I would avoid jst spraying water into the engine compartment - can ruin electrics.

So how do you clean your engine bay?

I don't ! what needs to get cleaned around the engine gets done during a service

I use a tooth brush and some car wash soap to clean the delicate parts of the engine. Once in a while to do spray it with water, but make sure you leave the engine on for a while so that the heat can evaporate the existing water, after you've washed it.

Last time i forgot to do that, the car sort of stalled for a sec, would engine brake when i pressed the accelerator and sounded as if it was a tractor engine.

Regards...
Shan2nu