Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2011, 18:53   #16

re: Squeaking noise - What could it be?

today i went to bhoomi motors in MG road opp victory theater to inquire about the charges for the "remove and setting" method for the suspension and he was a little surprised with this whole idea, he said "when you are not changing any parts whats d point of opening the suspension and putting it back in ?" when i explained the whole T-BHP thing, he gave it a thought and quoted me Rs 3500 for the whole procedure !!!! when i pointed out that it is very steep he said that in suspension overhaul they charge Rs3500 for the labour and the only difference here was that we are not putting any new parts so the the charge remains the same as they have to take out everything and put it back in !!
bhoomi motors is a nice workshop and they do mercs n bmws all the time(saw a couple of them today also) but this is too steep, knob said in the earlier post that he paid 400 for the whole front suspension! Rs3500 is out of the world ! this means i need to go to a lower profile workshop, but i have my doubts on their quality of work. what should i do ? anyone knows a good workshop for this work in pune ? please help

cheers !
Old 21st April 2011, 22:39   #17

PROBLEM SOLVED !!

it was loose brake pads in the caliper !! cost Rs100 for adjustment at a local garage !!! although this was the 2nd garage that i visited ! the 1st one made me change the right lower arm bushing to no effect, Rs1000 n 1 day went in vein. but the 2nd workshop made my day !!
after the right bushing was changed, i can hear a soft "grrr" noise inside the cabin at 1800rpm for a sec, it vanishes once it crosses 1800rpm. This had also happened at the last bushing change, but that guy had opened the engine shield did some minor adjustment inside and it was gone ! 2 mins work !! but now it was back !
so to have a look around i lifted the front right side with a jack myself, and peeped in, did nothing and put it back down, after this when i took a round i noticed a new noise from front right suspension !! it came only on speed breakers. its like a soft kee-keek kee-keek noise in sync with the vertical movement of the front. I noticed its not there in the morning, comes after a while.
here is a video of some guy, its the same problem. please help.

listen to the 1st noise

btw that noise at 1800rpm, could it be the engine mounts ?

cheers !
Old 1st January 2013, 16:38   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

My Swift VXI-ABS is around 5.5 years old now with 65,000 kms. Been around 6 months and 5000 kms since the last service.

Last few days, I hear a slight squeaking sound. The squeaking sound is heard only when I am at low speeds. I am not sure, but I don't think I can hear it when I am cruising above 50 kmph or so. It seems to come from the left side of the car - but I can't be sure if it's from the front or the back - but it may be from the back.

What can it be? How can I narrow it down? The sound is like unlubricated parts but I can't be sure.
Old 1st January 2013, 17:50   #19
BHPian

if the squeak came from the right then it could have been the belts, but as its on the left its a tough call.
could you be more specific with your description.
does it squeak while the car moves, or just when the engine is running at idle, or while you go over speed bumps, or general cruising only?

if it squeaks during general cruising like you described it could be a dry wheel bearing. but you've gotta be sure if the squeak is absent while suspension parts move or while idling the engine.

Last edited by msaudf : 1st January 2013 at 17:54.
Old 1st January 2013, 18:02   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
if the squeak came from the right then it could have been the belts, but as its on the left its a tough call.
could you be more specific with your description.
does it squeak while the car moves, or just when the engine is running at idle, or while you go over speed bumps, or general cruising only?
As I said in my original question - I hear it when I am moving at low speeds (under 50). I don't think I hear it when I am cruising at a constant speed. But the moment I brake/slow down - it starts again.

The squeaking is pretty low volume.
Quote:
if it squeaks during general cruising like you described it could be a dry wheel bearing. but you've gotta be sure if the squeak is absent while suspension parts move or while idling the engine.
I think the squeaking isn't there when the car is stationary and idling.
Old 1st January 2013, 18:13   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
But the moment I brake/slow down - it starts again.

The squeaking is pretty low volume.
the squeak could be the brake pads rubbing against the rotors with some brake dust stuck in between them. A simple solution is to spray some water with some pressure on to the wheels you will get rid of the brake dust.

but if brake dust has been accumulated for a prolonged period, then you might need some sort of brake cleaner sprayed on and washed off after a couple of hours.

try spraying water at a good pressure it just might do the trick.
Old 1st January 2013, 18:26   #22
BANNED

Quote:
the squeak could be the brake pads rubbing against the rotors with some brake dust stuck in between them. A simple solution is to spray some water with some pressure on to the wheels you will get rid of the brake dust.

but if brake dust has been accumulated for a prolonged period, then you might need some sort of brake cleaner sprayed on and washed off after a couple of hours.

try spraying water at a good pressure it just might do the trick.
It doesn't really start on braking. It's there even before I ever brake - when I driving at low speeds. I wrote that it stops when cruising above 45-50. But starts again both when I slow down naturally or when I brake to slow down.
Old 1st January 2013, 22:51   #23
BHPian

i understand that the squealing starts only when you slow down to below 50kmph and during light braking, the squeal probably starts at that speed because it could be the right frequency for it to be audible. And as u may already know,in all disc brake systems the brake pads are in constant contact with the rotors and if there is any dust or debris stuck in between them they start to make sounds like this.
just try giving it a nice pressure wash and see what happens.
Old 21st February 2014, 11:42   #24
BHPian

Getting a squeaking noise from front Left hand side suspension in my Santro which is almost 7 and half years with 48k on ODO.

Squeaking noise - What could it be?-20140220_224336.jpg

Asked a helper to press from all four side while i was checking for noise and it is only front Left hand side suspension from where the squeaking noise (kaku kaku) is audible. There is no irregular behavior from suspension perspective apart from squeaking noise, tried spraying WD-40 but the noise still persist. I have checked steering for noise but it is fine.

The worse part is that sound has got very loud even while going over speed breakers at bare minimum speed

Is the noise due to lack of greasing or bushes need replacement ?

Last edited by driving_smartly : 21st February 2014 at 11:48.

Most Viewed