Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2006, 01:56   #1
BHPian

Squeaking noise - What could it be?

Hi All,

My 4 month old Aveo makes squeaking dry noise when on bad roads or its body goes up and down lets say on a smooth but uneven road.

I suspect it gotta be some rubber stuff in suspension bcoz after under body wash the noise goes off.

Please pour in ur suggestions as to what it could be however i will get it checked in my next service.

Cheers.
Old 20th September 2006, 10:27   #2

Hi Namit..
It could be the settings of the coil springs in the rear suspension... my friend had a similar problem... just a minor adjustment solved it... the other issue could be with something not tightened in the rear part of the car like your seat, boot door... but since you are mentioning that the noise goes off after a wash!! it probably aint that..

Cheers
Old 20th September 2006, 18:36   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit

My 4 month old Aveo makes squeaking dry noise when on bad roads or its body goes up and down lets say on a smooth but uneven road.

Cheers.
Try pressing all four corners(left rear,right rear ,left front and right front - above the fenders/boot) of the car when stationary.Check where the noise is from.

If there is no noise,it has to be a slightly loose door(the rubber beading also makes this noise)
Old 21st September 2006, 09:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Squeaking

It is something to do with the suspension. Check the coil springs & struts. Maybe a couple of those self lubricating bushes would have gone dry. Why don't you show this to the dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit
Hi All,

I suspect it gotta be some rubber stuff in suspension bcoz after under body wash the noise goes off.

Please pour in ur suggestions as to what it could be however i will get it checked in my next service.

Cheers.
Old 12th October 2007, 13:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
It is something to do with the suspension. Check the coil springs & struts. Maybe a couple of those self lubricating bushes would have gone dry. Why don't you show this to the dealer?
old thread.. I know. But I am getting the same sound from my Baleno's front wheels. The mechanic I showed it to mumbled something about bushes, but didnt have time to fix it.
Old 12th October 2007, 15:01   #6
BHPian

This is certainly issue of loose seat bushings. Ask your service guy to check and fix(replace) all the seat bushings. Would cost less than 20 bucks...
Old 17th October 2007, 11:54   #7
BHPian

Check the door pads, these are in most cars the culprits for some sounds
Old 3rd April 2011, 04:38   #8

re: Squeaking noise - What could it be?

hey namit, did you get the problem fixed ? what was it about ? i am facing same issues on my Octavia vRS, please help.
Old 3rd April 2011, 07:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles.chip View Post
hey namit, did you get the problem fixed ? what was it about ? i am facing same issues on my Octavia vRS, please help.
Dust in the suspension bushes. Get the bolts greased while getting new bushes.
Old 4th April 2011, 23:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Dust in the suspension bushes. Get the bolts greased while getting new bushes.

Thanks MileCruncher, i will get the bushes checked and the bolts greased. Also i get some sort of a metallic sound from the front suspension when i go at moderate speeds over somewhat smooth but uneven roads, its like two metal sheets striking against eachother, what could that be ? the faster the louder, and no noise if i am very slow. today i went to a local mechanic, he tightened two nuts on the either side of the front suspension but the noise is still there. i changed the front suspension bushes just 600kms back.
Thanks for your help.
Old 5th April 2011, 08:18   #11
BHPian

The simplest way is to just remove the suspension parts one by one and check the undercarriage for any loose parts like engine shields or brake line covers. Also replace or lubricate the worn out parts before putting it back. Most of the time all sounds go away by doing just that - what local garages call as "remove and setting" And don't take it to the a$$ people for checking sounds.
Old 7th April 2011, 02:41   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by knob View Post
The simplest way is to just remove the suspension parts one by one and check the undercarriage for any loose parts like engine shields or brake line covers. Also replace or lubricate the worn out parts before putting it back. Most of the time all sounds go away by doing just that - what local garages call as "remove and setting" And don't take it to the a$$ people for checking sounds.
Okay that sounds good, but what do i go and say to the local garage wala person ? i doubt that they would understand the "remove and setting" term, some local term for this ? and do i need to go to garages where the have ramps to raise the car or anyone would do ? how much would this cost me just for removal, lubrication and setting it back ? i am not going to change any parts now because apart from these minor occasional squeaks everything is rock solid. infact my car had a major service 700kms back in which the lower arm bushes of the front suspension were changed.

thanks !
Old 8th April 2011, 00:51   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles.chip View Post
Okay that sounds good, but what do i go and say to the local garage wala person ? i doubt that they would understand the "remove and setting" term, some local term for this ? and do i need to go to garages where the have ramps to raise the car or anyone would do ? how much would this cost me just for removal, lubrication and setting it back ? i am not going to change any parts now because apart from these minor occasional squeaks everything is rock solid.
You can say remove in your language and "setting". That's how it works here.
At most the whole thing might cost you a maximum of 750 bucks, cost me 400 for whole front end. It depends on the place you go to. Just simple remove grease, reset, refit tight. Might need an alignment done after this.

Do reset the springs and steering rack also. Don't let them hammer on anything unless it is already deformed.

Any good local garage with a couple of jack stands and tools incl. spring removers will do and most of them have at-least one Octavia getting done there.

Last edited by knob : 8th April 2011 at 00:58.
Old 8th April 2011, 22:23   #14

thanks a lot, i am planning to get this done soon, will report back with the results. By the way what do they use for lubrication ? joints and all can be lubricated with grease but what should be used to revitalize rubber bushings? they make squeaking noise when they get old, stiff and dry. thats why people say after a wash the noise goes away but returns in a few days. i did some research on this and found silicon grease to be the best for this purpose. WD40 is petroleum based and can harm it in long run, plus it can get washed off easily. can silicon grease be used in the joints as well ? is it readily available and where ? hardware shops ?(a pune based company manufactures it btw)

cheers !
Old 9th April 2011, 19:00   #15
BHPian

Which are the two front suspension nuts which were tightened? Photos available?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks