Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: Your choice of accelerator?
Organ-type 228 69.94%
Suspended 98 30.06%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2016, 12:44   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What type of Accelerator pedal do you prefer - Organ vs Suspended?

What type of accelerator pedal do you prefer?

Premium cars almost always use the organ type. Like this E-Class. In an MT, it's easier to heel-and-toe too:

On the other hand, in cheaper cars, suspended pedals dominate the scene (although some old models like the Premier Padmini had organ-type accelerators):

Mazda says:

Name:  1.gif
Views: 55479
Size:  16.6 KB

Quote:
With an organ-type accelerator pedal, the driver's heel is placed on the floor, and the driver's foot and the pedal follows the same trajectory. This makes accelerator pedal control easier because the heel position is stabilized.

The accelerator pedal is positioned where the driver's foot naturally rests while sitting in the seat. This reduces both driving fatigue and the chances of the driver stepping on the wrong pedal when reacting quickly.
Source

I find the organ-type to be more precise, comfortable and ergonomically superior. Even my Civic had it - made a noticeable difference on long drives.

Ferraris? Yep.
What type of Accelerator pedal do you prefer - Organ vs Suspended?-brake_and_gas_pedals_of_enzo_ferrari.jpg
Source

F1 cars? Yep.
What type of Accelerator pedal do you prefer - Organ vs Suspended?-drivercontrols_redbullbiaspedaladjuster.jpg
Source

Last edited by GTO : 18th February 2016 at 13:11.
GTO is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 12:58   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: What type of Accelerator pedal do you prefer - Organ vs Suspended?

Some more data from Mazda.

Quote:
One such characteristic is the basic need to keep one’s heel on the floor in order to maintain leg position comfortably over a long period. In operating the accelerator, the ankle becomes a fulcrum around which the foot pivots downwards. This is why recent Mazda models feature an “organ-type” accelerator which also pivots from a fixed point on the floor, allowing the foot and pedal to move together in a smooth and coordinated motion.
Name:  2.gif
Views: 46209
Size:  18.0 KB

Quote:
Another benefit of the organ-type accelerator pedal is that long drives are less tiring for the legs. There are two major muscle groups in the lower leg with the muscles along the shin responsible for raising the foot upwards toward the body and the muscles of the calf at work when you stretch your toes away. These larger muscles are the ones used when you press down on the accelerator and if the accelerator has sufficient counterforce to balance the weight of the leg, it is quite possible to operate the accelerator using only these muscles. Despite this fact, how many of us have experienced muscle pain in the shin after a long drive? If the movement of the foot from a fixed-heel position does not match that of the pedal, the driver is forced to use both the calf muscles and the easily-fatigued shin muscles. The key to reduce fatigue in the legs on a long drive is in using only the larger and more powerful calf muscles.
Name:  3.gif
Views: 48883
Size:  21.0 KB

Source

Last edited by GTO : 18th February 2016 at 13:07.
GTO is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 13:13   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Technical Section!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 13:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Voted for 'Suspended' as it allows fine control as it is hinged on the top side.
Just the theory as I don't have experience with the organ type.

One more thing about the suspended type: easing off the accelerator, while your heel is still anchored on the floor. I don't know how easily you can do it with the organ type without straining a bit on the ankle.

Last edited by GTO : 19th February 2016 at 12:20. Reason: Merging
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 13:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

I experience both pedals depending on the car I drive and feel the organ type is more comfortable to use. And as rightly pointed out above, chances of stepping on the wrong pedal during sudden braking are less in an organ type pedal.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 13:30   #6
BHPian

Never experienced the organ type but voted for it as it sure looks more comfortable. Time to find a car that is available on self drive car rentals (with organ pedal)
chakri400 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 13:32   #7
Team-BHP Support

All the cars I've driven with organ type pedals, E class, Jetta, Laura had a very heavy feel to them. They were not easy to get fine modulation. It's not a problem in an Automatic, but in the manuals it results in jerky shifts.

The organ type pedals also take up a lot of space in the footwell. I always feel the pedals are too close and there's lesser space in the Jetta and Laura vs the new Octavia which was not a problem.

On the other hand, suspended ones are mostly lighter and easier to modulate barring a few of them.

Based on data by Mazda and what I have felt, the organ type pedals are better for driving pedal to the metal whereas the suspended one is better for sedate driving.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th January 2018 at 00:10. Reason: Typo. medal -> metal ;)
Vid6639 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 13:44   #8
BHPian

Voted for the Organ Type.

My car has a suspended type(Swift VDi).
The issue that I find with the Suspended one is that I have to keep my foot constantly pulled back.
Especially the upper part. Results in pain of the muscles on the upper side of the feet, and sometimes near the sheen.
I have experienced the slippage a couple of times, in rainy season mostly.

On the other hand I have driven a friend's BMW, it has a organ type.
Felt quite relaxed with it.

Is there a way I can install a organ type in my swift?
iamahunter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 13:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Maruti OMNI has organ type pedal

I agree that organ types are not as easy as the suspended ones to modulate. Pedal to metal feels more satisfying in organ type pedal.

Last edited by GTO : 26th January 2018 at 18:16. Reason: Typo. time -> type
Rahulkool is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 13:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Based on data by Mazda and what I have felt, the organ type pedals are better for driving pedal to the medal whereas the suspended one is better for sedate driving.
I think it depends on the sitting position also. Most of the cars where the organ type pedals are used, have a lower sitting position where you stretch your legs. But in most of the mass market cars where they use the suspended type, you sit slightly higher. In both cases, the natural position of the foot is different. I don't have a picture to explain, but I think if you are sitting more upright, with a higher hip point, suspended might be better and if you sit lower, the organ type will be more relaxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Maruti OMNI has organ time pedal
And with the seating position in the Omni, it is really difficult to modulate the pedal. This is what I meant in the above explanation.

Last edited by A350XWB : 18th February 2016 at 13:57.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 14:07   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Have not experienced organ type, but voted for it. I have big feet and the organ type looks to be a more comfortable position for large footed drivers.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 14:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

I have driven only two cars with organ pedals, my own 1972 Premier Padmini 1100D and very recently, a BMW 530D M Edition.

The organ arrangement on the Fiat is bad. The seat bench is placed too far forward, then you also have the pedal pushed too far out and this causes your ankle to be bent more than it should. Very uncomfortable. I don't suppose driver ergonomics crossed their mind back in 1972.

On to the BMW; the driver ergonomics are so good on this car that everything is right where it should be. I felt that the position of my foot in relation to the pedal, was spot on. Every car should have a throttle pedal like this. My foot was relaxing on the throttle pedal and the effort required was next to nil. The organ pedal allows for finer control of throttle input too.

Organ pedal for me, all the way.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 18th February 2016 at 14:15.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 15:42   #13
BHPian

Very interesting topic GTO. Having driven old Mahindras [Jeep] with organ type pedal and Newer ones with suspended ones - I think organ type in general offers more comfort and is easy-to-use under generic driving situations. Having said that - unless the seating position and alignment of driver is proper, it does not help anywhere.

By the way, quoting aamateen46: Is that a really good idea to find spots under pedals to rest the foot? I feel its a dangerous habit and should be avoided.

Last edited by GTO : 19th February 2016 at 12:19. Reason: Typos
dileepcm is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 18th February 2016, 16:49   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I have extensively experienced both pedals. Organ type in our Fiat 1100D and the Civic; and the suspended type in our Zen.

My frank opinion is that if you adjust your seating position properly, both are as good. You can always keep your ankle rested on the floor and use that as a pivot even while dealing with a suspended type pedal. Others may disagree as each have their own fine techniques of driving.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 17:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

The only disadvantage that I can see in the organ-type accelerator is that the cleaning of the foot-well becomes difficult.
jinojohnt is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed